My talk with the windows phone 7 employee

GP07

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
What MS could do is let it work with a few other apps, like for pictures let it work with Live Photo Gallary for example instead of going through the Zune for that, which doesn't give you any real photo management options.

I don't think we need a file manager, I at least don't see the need for one when it doesn't distinquish between internal phone storage and memory card storage and just treats it all as one place. When they do expand the multitasking I'm sure we'll get some sorta task list of apps that are still running, I dunno what it'd look like or how it'll be implemented but I do expect one at that point.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
edited the zune pass question since this thread is getting more attention than i expected

Rumour suggests custom ring tones, turn by turn navigation coming to Windows phone 7 soon

Copy and paste and turn-by-turn navigation among other features for Windows Phone 7 rumoured to come in January - Phone Arena

Now I'm compiling a list of things to ask him when ever I have the chance next (I have to keep him busy right)

so far:
-Multitasking
-Bluetooth Transferring
-Search market place by specific section
-Having the option to merge/unmerge Email accounts/one universal box
-better podcast integration

what else guys?

*Once again though, this info is preliminary and might not be 100% accurate so keep that in mind

Last edited:

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm compiling a list of things to ask him when ever I have the chance next (I have to keep him busy right)

so far:
-Being able to merge Email accounts/one universal box

If they do add the the universal box for mail, leaving the ability to turn it off. I had this on the iPhone and HATED it. Personally I didn't want to have mail from my mail accounts overlaping. I get lost on who emailed me from where in this case. At least ios gave you a way to just to into the individual mail boxes.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
If they do add the the universal box for mail, leaving the ability to turn it off. I had this on the iPhone and HATED it. Personally I didn't want to have mail from my mail accounts overlaping. I get lost on who emailed me from where in this case. At least ios gave you a way to just to into the individual mail boxes.

let me edit that ;)

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing that I just thought of would be nice would for it to wake up the screen with the volume rocker so that I can change tracks and change the volume all with the same physical button press.

prophetfp

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm a WP7 owner from the last 24 hours and i'd like to put my 2 cents on easy UI improvements:

- We need a fast way to scroll contacts / music lists. maybe the "little letters column" as seen in ios. searching is nice (also tapping the beginning letter), but scrolling is usually faster and more pleasing ("look, i have a billion albums")

- We need independent volume levels for headphones plugged in and plugged out.
i think it's two very different levels, usually. ios has this.

- We need a seek function in zune! we can't jump in a song at a desired time, we just have ff/rwd buttons..like this it works like a portable cd player from the 90s.
This feature is needed the most especially when listening long files, eg: podcasts.

:)

Last edited:

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
If you tap the letter in the blue square you will be able to select the letter you want. Its not a letter bar on the side but equally easy to use in contacts.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a comment that sort of relates to the topic. It's obvious that Microsoft put some thought into their WP7 displays at wireless stores - the large touch screen, the xbox. However, it seems like they overlooked something - loading the display phones with a dummy account and multimedia content. Is this an oversight on Microsoft's part or are individual ATT stores just not doing their part?

At the first ATT store I visited, the display WP7 phones didn't have ANY content or 3rd party apps and weren't connected to the internet. They did seem to have a dummy account loaded in xbox live but once again, no content. At the second ATT store I visited, the Focus was linked to a Live/Facebook account (I think it might've been an employee's or a customer's) and was filled with related stuff but no media, and once again, no internet connection, no 3rd party apps. This phone also had a dummy account similar to the ones at the first store.

A large part of consumers "getting" the appeal of WP7 is experiencing a phone filled with all the rich content that the OS capitalizes on. It just seems odd that this would be overlooked since a lot of people (esp the "dumbphone" users who Microsoft is targeting) wouldn't buy a smartphone sight-unseen.

prophetfp

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
there's no scrubber but if you hold down << or >> it will remind and fast forward. Is that what you're referring to?

Yeah, i was referring exactly to a scrubber, i didn't know the proper term :)
It's a shame, because - as i was saying in my first post - it's very nice to have especially in long files, like 1h+ podcasts.

That's my feature request! :D

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
In our store, all the working phones have a working sim card in them so users can browse the internet/dl apps. but honestly, I always put my phone in their hands. Thats what I did with the captivate (when i had it) as well. I try my best to show the customer that there are other options out there besides the Iphone, and 9/10 times, customers end up buying a smartphone other than an Iphone once they realize whats out there.

I have a comment that sort of relates to the topic. It's obvious that Microsoft put some thought into their WP7 displays at wireless stores - the large touch screen, the xbox. However, it seems like they overlooked something - loading the display phones with a dummy account and multimedia content. Is this an oversight on Microsoft's part or are individual ATT stores just not doing their part?

At the first ATT store I visited, the display WP7 phones didn't have ANY content or 3rd party apps and weren't connected to the internet. They did seem to have a dummy account loaded in xbox live but once again, no content. At the second ATT store I visited, the Focus was linked to a Live/Facebook account (I think it might've been an employee's or a customer's) and was filled with related stuff but no media, and once again, no internet connection, no 3rd party apps. This phone also had a dummy account similar to the ones at the first store.

A large part of consumers "getting" the appeal of WP7 is experiencing a phone filled with all the rich content that the OS capitalizes on. It just seems odd that this would be overlooked since a lot of people (esp the "dumbphone" users who Microsoft is targeting) wouldn't buy a smartphone sight-unseen.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for that insight. If only more employees were like you. :)

Still seems like Microsoft should have a formal dummy account for att to load on the phone.

In our store, all the working phones have a working sim card in them so users can browse the internet/dl apps. but honestly, I always put my phone in their hands. Thats what I did with the captivate (when i had it) as well. I try my best to show the customer that there are other options out there besides the Iphone, and 9/10 times, customers end up buying a smartphone other than an Iphone once they realize whats out there.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
thanks for that insight. If only more employees were like you. :)

Still seems like Microsoft should have a formal dummy account for att to load on the phone.

yeah I agree with you. Its funny too because I had 2 Microsoft employees come into my store to buy Focus's for testing purposes. I asked them why didnt they just get them from microsoft. they said that they were only given 400 test phones, and they didnt make the cut hahah

GP07

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I dunno if anyone said this yet but can we actually get a Stop button on Zune and the Zune PC software as well? Play and Pause only isn't enough at times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077