WP7 noob with questions

tripower

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a new Samsung Focus (previously an iPhone 3G user) and I have a few questions that I need some help with:

1. Where are the power management features such as adjusting when the screen powers down?
2. Where do I find and how to change WP7 wallpapers?
3. It seems to take forever to charge, what is up with that?
4. How do I setup voicemail?
5. Can I remove any of those icons (specifically the ATT icons) and otherwise change my default desktop?
6. When I do a search in the Apps marketplace, is there a way to filter on on just the apps so I am not getting songs back when I am looking for applications? Also, is there a way to just search say the 'Free' apps?
7. How do I remove any applications that I want to get rid of?
8. Also, I tried to sync a WMV movie but it failed when trying to convert/sync, what's up with this?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
1. Settings -> Lock & Wallpaper; Settings -> Brightness
2. Settings -> Lock & Wallpaper
3. I have the same issue. weird.
4. Phone -> Small voicemail icon on bottom left
5. Click and hold icon, unpin. Swipe right to list of applications, click and hold to pin or uninstall
6. Nope, will hopefully be in an update
7. See 5
8. I can't answer

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a new Samsung Focus (previously an iPhone 3G user) and I have a few questions that I need some help with:

1. Where are the power management features such as adjusting when the screen powers down?
to set t he screen timeout would be under settings, system, set&wallpaper

2. Where do I find and how to change WP7 wallpapers?
you can touch and hold on any picture and use as wallpaper

3. It seems to take forever to charge, what is up with that?
yea what is up with that? the good news is that battery life is very good once its charged

4. How do I setup voicemail?
thats an ATT thing

5. Can I remove any of those icons (specifically the ATT icons) and otherwise change my default desktop?
yes just touch and hold and press on the x to remove tile or hub, you can also uninstall some of the att apps you dont want you would touch and hold and select uninstall

6. When I do a search in the Apps marketplace, is there a way to filter on on just the apps so I am not getting songs back when I am looking for applications? Also, is there a way to just search say the 'Free' apps?
The Zune team is aware of this and they are working to fix this issue very shortly

7. How do I remove any applications that I want to get rid of?
answered with question 5

8. Also, I tried to sync a WMV movie but it failed when trying to convert/sync, what's up with this?
I don't know the answer to this one I have had no problems getting movies on my phone

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

By the was
how do you like the new phone !!

tripower

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
1. Settings -> Lock & Wallpaper; Settings -> Brightness
2. Settings -> Lock & Wallpaper
3. I have the same issue. weird.
4. Phone -> Small voicemail icon on bottom left
5. Click and hold icon, unpin. Swipe right to list of applications, click and hold to pin or uninstall
6. Nope, will hopefully be in an update
7. See 5
8. I can't answer

Thanks, great answers. As to #1 is there any option beyond 5 minutes?
Does anyone know anything about #8?

And are these ATT apps worth anything or are they just junk?

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, great answers. As to #1 is there any option beyond 5 minutes?
Does anyone know anything about #8?

And are these ATT apps worth anything or are they just junk?

#8: every Zune video I've downloaded (couple of episodes of Master Chef, The Guild) is on WMV format and has had no issue syncing. Also converted a .avi to wmv myself and no issue at all syncing. Are they in your PC (zune) collection only, or have you manually copied them onto the phone (drag and drop)?

The AT&T apps:

- Navigator: haven't used this version. The one I had on my Blackberry worked like a charm, but I hear the Bing maps navigator works just as well.
- Radio: with a Zune pass or similar, this seems useless.
- Family Map: if you have kids and are worried about where they might be driving or going after school, keep it (must pay a fee). I know I'd install it. Also perfect for tracking down cheating spouses!
- U-verse: was tempted to try it, but saw no point in it. Might be wonderful if you use their cable service.
- myWireless: keep it. It's free, lets you see your bill and keep track of data/txt usage.

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The AT&T apps:

- Navigator: I have played with it a bit. It is just OK. I have a deticated PND so It isn't needed for me, but if you don't have one, it is at least worth trying the 30 day trial
- Radio: with a Zune pass or slacker radio, etc... compleatly useless and over priced
- Family Map: haven't used this and thought it was overpriced when started it up the one time i did.
- U-verse: poked around this, but the content wasn't there and that I am not a Uverse subscriber and won't be, was mostly useless
- myWireless: Wish it was more like the iPhone app, but it at least lets you monitor your data useage at this point.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
just an FYI on uverse mobile,

You can choose to pay 9.99 a month and it gives you access to the uverse on demand list of shows to download. There is actually a really good selection of shows from the newest to older shows in the season.

Family maps is pretty useless (lol coming from an AT&T employee) because it doesnt give you the exact location of someone, just the area they are in. for example, you can tell your kid is downtown, but not which store or where they are downtown.

Navigator is pretty good. It is better than the free google nav from android but $10/mo is pretty steep. if you need this, its good, but if you can wait for more Nav Apps to show up on the market its pretty much not worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2