About those upcoming OS updates

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just had a random thought and wanted to get people's opinions (or facts, if any) on the matter.

We all know there will be a substantial update coming up in the next couple of months, along with a bigger update possibly in the fall.

If you've installed larger apps (above 25MB), chances are you've have to connect the phone to a wi-fi spot. I don't know why it's not possible to do it while connected to the PC, and OTA is more or less out of the question due to unreliability.

So here's what I'm wondering: considering the upcoming OS updates are bound to be pretty substantial in size, how do you think the transfer will be handled? Do you think (or know) we'll be able to connect the phone to the PC and update through Zune, or will it be OTA? I imagine not everyone will be happy to have an automatic update using up their monthly data allowance, particularly if it's of a certain size. Will we have to find a wi-fi spot?

It was a random thought, and I'm wondering what you all think.

merrick

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
MS have said that ATM they can only be done on Zune however they have the infrastructure to do it ota but haven't done that yet, another update for that ;),but you'll have the choice of over air or Zune. You can disable your phone not to look for updates in settings and only let Zune look for you :)

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine when it is an OTA update, the carrier would not charge you for the data used. I don't recall being charged for data on my Blackberry OTA updates, but I could be (and probably am) wrong. :)

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
My devices says this "Your phone will continue to regularly check for updates, which you can install when you're at your computer."

That tells me update VIA USB/Zune/PC only. At this time anyway.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well i hope they come out with OTA updates casue having to connect my phone to my pc is a annnoying . well sorta lol ...

---------------

I would imagine when it is an OTA update, the carrier would not charge you for the data used. I don't recall being charged for data on my Blackberry OTA updates, but I could be (and probably am) wrong. :)

if its OTA they probly gona be doing it WIFI ( like the Xbox live games ) , witch would be a GREAT idea considering you can find a WIFI hot spot almost any where in the world with in 5min fo your house.

They suppose to charge you for data when u do Updates cause u have BB Destop manager to update your BB as FREE option. Unles your countries Laws/rules are diff,

BUT!! BB compresses data maybe you just dint notice it , cause it was so small?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
well i hope they come out with OTA updates casue having to connect my phone to my pc is a annnoying . well sorta lol ...

I know what you mean.With my mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, and printer, I end up running out of USP ports. But I'll always welcome an update, even if I have to connect to a computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes