OS Updates

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
What has been the most recent or official consensus on how the OS updates will happen? Last I remember, MS was carrying out the updates via Zune, but the carrier could limit updates to 2(?) per contract, or maybe it was per year?

I haven't heard much about it lately.

merrick

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i read somewhere, maybe wikipedia, that MS has accounced that carriers can bar one update but the following update will be pushed through and will include the previous update as well.. so it would seem like theres no point in them banning the updates.

from wiki

"According to Microsoft documentation, software updates will be delivered to Windows Phone users via Microsoft Update, as is the case with other Windows operating systems.[48] Microsoft has the intention to directly update any phone running Windows Phone 7 instead of relying on OEMs or wireless carriers"

Last edited:

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
"According to Microsoft documentation, software updates will be delivered to Windows Phone users via Microsoft Update, as is the case with other Windows operating systems.[48] Microsoft has the intention to directly update any phone running Windows Phone 7 instead of relying on OEMs or wireless carriers"

I hope this is the case. It works for Apple, and MS should do the same with WP7. Take a look at Android: the carriers hold back updates. Why? Because they want you to but a new phone with the latest Android OS. If they upgrade your phone you'd have to reason to think about a new device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss