Any way to do Google Talk (chat) on WP 7?

MightyPreHammer

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello Ladies and Gents-

This is the only must have feature keeping me from getting a WP 7 phone. I have to have it for my job. Is there any app that can log into Google chat? Push notifications would also be a must. Thanks!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Zero ways right now. I have some friends who must have yahoo IM for work, and can't make the leap to WP7 until it has this support.
Hello Ladies and Gents-

This is the only must have feature keeping me from getting a WP 7 phone. I have to have it for my job. Is there any app that can log into Google chat? Push notifications would also be a must. Thanks!

MightyPreHammer

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Man that sucks. I am really surprised that with push notifications someone has not released a 3rd party app like Beejive. I actually almost bought a WP 7 phone just assuming this was possible. Seems like a major oversight for the platform that would effect a lot of people and hurt adoption.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100% I'm glad I made the jump fro iPhone 4, but not sure I would have if I would have known some of the things I do now, from visiting these forums.
Man that sucks. I am really surprised that with push notifications someone has not released a 3rd party app like Beejive. I actually almost bought a WP 7 phone just assuming this was possible. Seems like a major oversight for the platform that would effect a lot of people and hurt adoption.

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty new to these forums and WP7 for that matter. Although I am excited to get my Focus I am a little taken a back it doesn't have simple IM programs like Yahoo. This isn't a must have for me but it would be a nice bonus.

I know that WP7 has high quality control for apps and it's one of the reasons I am attracted to the OS. Sure Android has tons and tons of free apps but due to the lack of quality control 90% of them are just pure garbage.

My question: Is this a matter of when and not if for programs such as yahoo messenger? Will they eventually be there or is it possible we will never see them?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I do for a work-around, and it works in AIM but not sure in other clients. I can forward my IM's to my phone, so I receive them as a text message. It lets me reply to those IM's as well. I do things like see a buddy/friend list or anything like that, but if someone needs to reach me on IM it's possible.

Not the ideal situation, but working for me until something comes out.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's a matter of time. We know for sure that IM+ is working on a WP7 client. And they will pretty much cover yahoo,AIM, google talk, facebook chat,... and so on.
I am pretty new to these forums and WP7 for that matter. Although I am excited to get my Focus I am a little taken a back it doesn't have simple IM programs like Yahoo. This isn't a must have for me but it would be a nice bonus.

I know that WP7 has high quality control for apps and it's one of the reasons I am attracted to the OS. Sure Android has tons and tons of free apps but due to the lack of quality control 90% of them are just pure garbage.

My question: Is this a matter of when and not if for programs such as yahoo messenger? Will they eventually be there or is it possible we will never see them?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You actually do Google Talk. I chat with my cousin all the time. He's on Google Talk using his Samsung Focus and I'm on a PC.

He actually just logs into his gmail account from Internet Explorer. He has it set to render webpages as a desktop as opposed to mobile. Then he's able to use Google Talk from there. It's small though. It isn't anywhere near as convenient as having a dedicated app for it.

MightyPreHammer

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I do for a work-around, and it works in AIM but not sure in other clients. I can forward my IM's to my phone, so I receive them as a text message. It lets me reply to those IM's as well. I do things like see a buddy/friend list or anything like that, but if someone needs to reach me on IM it's possible.

Not the ideal situation, but working for me until something comes out.

I would love to find a work around like this with Google Talk. I Tried the Trillian web IM because it will forward an email with the chat. That is nice but you cannot reply to the email and would have to go login to Google talk. I am still searching...

MightyPreHammer

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried just logging into Gmail and using the chat in there? It works.

Yeah, it works but the issue is notification when I have a chat while I am doing other things. I can't leave my phone just sitting on that page. I suppose I could use the Trillian web client to notify me by email when I have a chat and then log into gmail to respond but it is tedious. Hopefully someone will create a solution with push notifications soon.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it works but the issue is notification when I have a chat while I am doing other things. I can't leave my phone just sitting on that page. I suppose I could use the Trillian web client to notify me by email when I have a chat and then log into gmail to respond but it is tedious. Hopefully someone will create a solution with push notifications soon.

Yup. It is a pain.

I do hope to see some 1st party integration soon.

hughnibley

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just as an FYI, the reason you don't see IM clients yet is because WP7 does not give developers socket access. So, until then, the only way to get an IM client to work is via web services, which would be cumbersome for the task, though not impossible.

They have stated that sometime this year they will roll out socket support to developers, which should then make development of these IM clients relatively simple things, but I wouldn't count on much until then.

blackleg

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Always showing established connection , please rstart the flory, but then still not showing my contact,

Keep teliing ne wrong username or password on FB :/

Sent from my 7 Mozart T8698 using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
For facebook chat, you need to go to your page,then click on your name. In the URL, you'll see a "username" that's associated with your account. Use that as your username for FB chat.
Always showing established connection , please rstart the flory, but then still not showing my contact,

Keep teliing ne wrong username or password on FB :/

Sent from my 7 Mozart T8698 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire