The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-07-2011 06:14 PM
45 12
tools
    Why specifically didn't you like Skinomi?
    Because I followed the instructions perfectly, got it exactly correct the first time I laid it on the screen, and even after several days there were vertical streaks up and down the right side of the screen. There are loads of complaints about this on Amazon. Their "lifetime replacement" warranty only pertains to damaged hardware, not installation issues. The only thing I liked about that screen was that it was very resistant to fingerprints. The new screen I have on there gets finger-printed up quickly.
    02-04-2011 01:09 PM
    MS may be in it for the long haul, but they are falling behind. They need to constantly have their vendors grinding out new hardware. They can't just worry about gaining new customers, they also have to worry about keeping current customers. My contract is almost up and I'm seriously looking at the Motorola Atrix or the Samsung Infuse as my next phone.
    02-04-2011 01:53 PM
    The other thing I would like to point out is people always saying "well Android has thousands and thousands of apps and most of them are free!" Yeah I am not denying that they do have a ridiculous amount of apps. But have you ever really looked at them? Due to almost zero quality control about 80% of the apps are just complete garbage.
    I mentioned that same thing, but maybe in another forum. The apps on the Android Market are so bad, Google is hiring quality developers to create apps for their market. Not too mention, there is no easy way to pay for apps. Apple's App Store has some polished, quality apps. Try to find the same on Android. I'm not bashing Android as it's the OS I prefer right now (I do use my HD7 as my main phone though), but any time you allow developers to submit apps with no approval process, you will get some really bad apps.

Ok, back on topic....
    02-04-2011 02:33 PM
    02-04-2011 03:36 PM
    MS may be in it for the long haul, but they are falling behind. They need to constantly have their vendors grinding out new hardware. They can't just worry about gaining new customers, they also have to worry about keeping current customers. My contract is almost up and I'm seriously looking at the Motorola Atrix or the Samsung Infuse as my next phone.
    +1. I get online hoping to see leaks of some new WP7 devices but only to be met by 10 new Android phones lol. It's seriously frustrating to see all the Android phones being announced daily and not a peep out of WP7. I would love to have the atrix hardware running WP7. I will stick with WP7 for a while because just like Nicka and firedancer have said, the Android market is terrible....no real quality. Please Nokia...make a windows phone!!!
    02-04-2011 04:04 PM
    Not saying I don't believe you but please share what makes wp7 better than ios in your opinion. It's just funny that anytime someone says that they came from a different os, it's always ios. Don't y'all find that kinda weird?
    Not really. My last phone was an iPhone too.

Wp7 Live Tiles > iOS Dumb icons...

-I can check weather without opening weather app.
    -I can see my next calendar items without opening calendar app
    -They're attractive and add interest. The AP mobile app regularly changes its tile pic based on current events.
    -They can be more than just apps - they can be specific things in apps, such as a contact or video.

The metro design aesthetic is infinitely better than iOS, and this aesthetic has been carried into the large majority of apps. Whether it is the facebook app, big oven, or a myriad others... swiping left and right through a larger panorama is much better than tapping "back" buttons or other tap-tap navigation. Everything is more fluid. Facebook in iOS used to give you a quick pop up at the bottom when you had new notifications (when it worked). If it didn't work (common) or you weren't fast enough to tap it before it disappears, it took two steps to get to the notifications. In wp7, I swipe left and I'm there.

Pictures:

The picture hub brings in your pics from multiple sources: Facebook. Skydrive. Windows Live... and of course your local camera roll. iOS last I checked you had only whatever you synced via itunes or took on the phone.

Want to clear your camera roll on wp7? Hold the "camera roll" icon and tap the "clear" menu that comes up. Wanna do the same on iOS? Tough luck. Either I never found it, or there is no option to delete the entire roll. Go delete 'em one by one. In fact, I found it to be a total pain to delete pics from my iPhone. I ended up using the Microsoft camera wizard, which has a setting to transfer pics and delete them from the source... the iphone.

Music:

I have a zune pass. I regularly download a bunch of songs I don't own via the zune software while I'm at the desktop. Unlike iOS, I don't have to go get my phone's cable from the kitchen counter where its charging, and plug it into the computer to sync these new songs. No, on wp7, I just drag the songs to any playlist I have set to sync with the phone... it syncs over my home network.

The Zune software is, imo, substatially more enjoyable to use than iTunes too. Its simpler, less bloated, and just feels altogether fresh.

While it definitely has its own gaps, there are a ton of advantages to wp7 vs iOS. Many people refuse to look, or don't pay attention... or are true believers of the Apple religion.
    foosball and aximtreo like this.
    02-04-2011 04:34 PM
    Not really. My last phone was an iPhone too.

Wp7 Live Tiles > iOS Dumb icons...

-I can check weather without opening weather app.
    -I can see my next calendar items without opening calendar app
    -They're attractive and add interest. The AP mobile app regularly changes its tile pic based on current events.
    -They can be more than just apps - they can be specific things in apps, such as a contact or video.

The metro design aesthetic is infinitely better than iOS, and this aesthetic has been carried into the large majority of apps. Whether it is the facebook app, big oven, or a myriad others... swiping left and right through a larger panorama is much better than tapping "back" buttons or other tap-tap navigation. Everything is more fluid. Facebook in iOS used to give you a quick pop up at the bottom when you had new notifications (when it worked). If it didn't work (common) or you weren't fast enough to tap it before it disappears, it took two steps to get to the notifications. In wp7, I swipe left and I'm there.

Pictures:

The picture hub brings in your pics from multiple sources: Facebook. Skydrive. Windows Live... and of course your local camera roll. iOS last I checked you had only whatever you synced via itunes or took on the phone.

Want to clear your camera roll on wp7? Hold the "camera roll" icon and tap the "clear" menu that comes up. Wanna do the same on iOS? Tough luck. Either I never found it, or there is no option to delete the entire roll. Go delete 'em one by one. In fact, I found it to be a total pain to delete pics from my iPhone. I ended up using the Microsoft camera wizard, which has a setting to transfer pics and delete them from the source... the iphone.

Music:

I have a zune pass. I regularly download a bunch of songs I don't own via the zune software while I'm at the desktop. Unlike iOS, I don't have to go get my phone's cable from the kitchen counter where its charging, and plug it into the computer to sync these new songs. No, on wp7, I just drag the songs to any playlist I have set to sync with the phone... it syncs over my home network.

The Zune software is, imo, substatially more enjoyable to use than iTunes too. Its simpler, less bloated, and just feels altogether fresh.

While it definitely has its own gaps, there are a ton of advantages to wp7 vs iOS. Many people refuse to look, or don't pay attention... or are true believers of the Apple religion.
    wow... That was a painful read... Such a rant... I enjoyed every bit of it :) I honestly think that I cannot agree more this passage was almost insightful lol.
    02-04-2011 07:22 PM
    I'll be back when some serious updates hit.

Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-05-2011 09:32 AM
    You mad!!! It's great that you wanna wait almost 1 more year for a serious update but i'm not that patient.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    02-05-2011 01:29 PM
    Tried my app out with the new OS today and then decided to take copy & paste for a spin. It's certainly functional but don't expect it to revolutionise the way your phone works.

I think the more exciting part is the speed update, it won't make as much difference for people like me with the Omnia 7 (see memory type) but for my father and his HD7 it will shave a fair amount of time from loading into the various games.
    02-05-2011 01:52 PM
    You mad!!! It's great that you wanna wait almost 1 more year for a serious update but i'm not that patient.
    So the update coming any day is not serious? Copy & Paste and the performance improvements are nothing to you? I see, I see. So, please define serious to me.
    02-05-2011 03:52 PM
    as long as MS rolls out updates more frequently than iOS which I believe they have to. MS has alot of catching up to do.
    02-05-2011 06:22 PM
    Yeah if that update is copy/paste and app improvement its pretty lame. No multitasking, custom ringtones, can't send videos, no flash, etc. Yeah this update is pointless. I'm sure they could do better than that.
    Last edited by tre-nitty; 02-05-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Verizon Hopeful likes this.
    02-05-2011 06:30 PM
    Btw, copy/paste, ringtones, and real mms should've been a no brainer. That should've been implemented upon release.
    02-05-2011 06:43 PM
    @tre-nitty: I totally agree with you. Folks, everyone seems to be buying into Microsoft's hype about this release coming in a few days. They need to do better!

Is it a new OS? Yes. Can we get everything we ever wanted in a "Windows" mobile OS all at once? Of course not. Does Microsoft claim to be in it for the long haul? That's what they say. Nevertheless, we need to challenge Microsoft to deliver more capability sooner, rather than drinking the Kool-Aid and accepting every utterance without question.
    tre-nitty likes this.
    02-05-2011 08:52 PM
    Music:

While I agree that the Zune software is much more enjoyable to use over iTunes, Zune support is abysmal on an international stance. I care very little about the pending update, and more about proper Zune and Bing services being brought to countries outside the US. If Zune pass existed up here in Canada, I'd use it, but we don't even have the Zune music store. I'm still forced to use iTunes to purchase music, and quite frankly, I'm missing the integrated iTunes store support from my iPhone, being able to buy music on a whim.

Microsoft needs to get on the ball with it's online supporting services that really add to the WP7 experience. It seriously gimps this platforms chances of succeeding in the international market.
    02-05-2011 10:22 PM
    Microsoft has a testing facility on their campus, where they have chosen to self-test each and every device for quality assurance purposes.... they have 10 different devices to test vs apple's 1 device, so it isnt fair to compare the update timings of both when microsoft has a lot more to test.... each device undergoes millions of hours of automated self-testing.
    02-07-2011 02:01 AM
    @Light Speed: If you are referring to this post:
    as long as MS rolls out updates more frequently than iOS which I believe they have to. MS has alot of catching up to do.
    where you say it is "unfair" to compare the update timings of iOS and WP7, I disagree.

As a consumer, it is totally reasonable for me to challenge Microsoft to come up with frequent updates (possibly even more frequently than their competition) because that makes me more likely to stick with WP7. After all, it is a competitive market and Microsoft has decided to compete. If Microsoft makes a business decision to set up a lab to test "10 different devices", let's hope that lab is set up to do testing of "10 devices" in parallel with the appropriate number of test personnel. I don't care that they may have more testing to do and neither should you.

We need to continue to be demanding consumers and let Microsoft know not to take our business for granted.
    02-07-2011 04:13 PM
    @Light Speed: If you are referring to this post:

where you say it is "unfair" to compare the update timings of iOS and WP7, I disagree.

As a consumer, it is totally reasonable for me to challenge Microsoft to come up with frequent updates (possibly even more frequently than their competition) because that makes me more likely to stick with WP7. After all, it is a competitive market and Microsoft has decided to compete. If Microsoft makes a business decision to set up a lab to test "10 different devices", let's hope that lab is set up to do testing of "10 devices" in parallel with the appropriate number of test personnel. I don't care that they may have more testing to do and neither should you.

We need to continue to be demanding consumers and let Microsoft know not to take our business for granted.
    well when you have 10 devices, everything has to be tested thoroughly on each device.... its not as easy as adding more engineers to each device to facilitate the process.... bugs need to be found and fixed, and adding more people doesnt 100% ensure a bug will be found quicker. it isnt an exact science. its a reverse science pretty much.
    02-07-2011 05:23 PM
    @Light Speed: My point was not to disagree with you that quality, thorough testing of updates takes time and people. I get that. My point is that it was a Microsoft business decision not to release their own hardware device (like Apple) and instead, rely on hardware vendors to produce multiple devices. As such, if Microsoft wants to be competitive and meet consumer expectations with frequent updates, fixes, etc. to WP7, then they need to do whatever it takes, regardless of how many devices need testing!

It doesn't do consumers any good to let Microsoft off the hook for frequent releases simply because there are many devices that need testing. Consumers have expectations about how frequent fixes and updates should be (possibly and admittedly from watching Android and iOS updates) and Microsoft will either meet those expectations or they won't. If they won't, then consumers have every right to vote with their pocketbooks.
    Last edited by Verizon Hopeful; 02-07-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    02-07-2011 06:14 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD