When is the WP7 OS update coming out!?

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the problem in waiting for the update, looking back at the release date - late into the Q4 was when it really took off. The platform has only just begun its long haul to regain market share, they have continued to state that they (Microsoft) are in for the marathon. Not the sprint.

Microsoft have had to endure complaint after complaint about a colour being slightly off, or someone not feeling the Metro UI. I believe one of the posts on another forum I saw went along the lines of, "yh so micro$oft wen u gna make desent os 4 ma fone 2 luk gud?" as well as "TEH MARKETPLASE IS EMPTIE MICROSOFTTTT! :O!", which has become tedious and boring.

As for the update, would you not rather wait for a while longer until they are ready to release it, as opposed to a rushed update that could contain bugs and whatnot? I agree with what others have said with regards to copy & paste, changing my ringtone etc. where it can all take as long as needed to maintain the perfection that has been displayed by the OS already. I'm happy with my Omnia 7, I'm happy with WP7 as a whole and enjoy using it for MMS, phone calls, email, gaming, social networking, and more. This is what I wish a smart phone to do. Extra (what I consider "bonus features") can hold off until I've stopped drooling over how awesome I believe it to be every time I turn it on.

I see this as buying a MacBook (or any other Apple product for that matter). It costs you an arm and a leg (Omnia 7 from 3 was about ?450), excites you beyond belief when unwrapping the enclosed device, you spend hours in the first week of ownership attempting to find hidden settings, while apps and games keep you occupied along with Facebook, email, texts and calls. You don't really want an update to be released for your newly purchased product, well... not until your used to it and have stopped unintentionally bragging it in public places.

In short - I can wait.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
^^ While I agree with everything you said, I think that was relevant 3 years ago. If you take your time playing catch up, you'll just fall further behind. iPhone is not the only other player to catch up to anymore. For every 300,00 daily Android activations (a confirmed number), that's 300,000 less buying a WP7 phone.

Everyone on this forum wants WP7 to succeed, that's why you see threads like this one urging MS for faster updates.

I love my HD7, and I'm happy with it the way it is. But I want MS to get the respect other OS's are getting and really don't deserve.

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
A lot of valid points have been made in this thread. I guess I would like to put my two cents in on the whole "catch up to Android talk." Now obviously Android is popular, the numbers don't lie. But when you break down those numbers it's pretty clear why they are in the lead. IOS4 is on ONE current phone. It's limited to the iPhone4 and that is it. Now sure the iPhone is the most popular phone ever but you are still limiting it to just ONE platform. A platform that is just too high of price for a lot of consumers out there when they see other choices. Then of course there is Blackberry. I am a current Blackberry owner so I know as well as anyone else that they are severely behind in the OS world. Obviously they still hang in there due to the high demand for the business world but other than that they don't have much to stand on. So what does that leave us with? Android. Android is a pretty cool OS. I have played with it and I can see why people enjoy it. But before WP7 came out it really was your only viable option to go with if you wanted some options as far as different phone platforms go.

The other thing I would like to point out is people always saying "well Android has thousands and thousands of apps and most of them are free!" Yeah I am not denying that they do have a ridiculous amount of apps. But have you ever really looked at them? Due to almost zero quality control about 80% of the apps are just complete garbage.

I am anxious to get my new WP7 phone and more then willing to be patient with updates. It's obvious with the amount of money being sunk into the OS that Microsoft is in it for the long run. With rumors swirling about a possible partnership with Nokia it won't be long before it really starts to pick up and they are considered a legitimate contender in the OS race.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Why specifically didn't you like Skinomi?

Because I followed the instructions perfectly, got it exactly correct the first time I laid it on the screen, and even after several days there were vertical streaks up and down the right side of the screen. There are loads of complaints about this on Amazon. Their "lifetime replacement" warranty only pertains to damaged hardware, not installation issues. The only thing I liked about that screen was that it was very resistant to fingerprints. The new screen I have on there gets finger-printed up quickly.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS may be in it for the long haul, but they are falling behind. They need to constantly have their vendors grinding out new hardware. They can't just worry about gaining new customers, they also have to worry about keeping current customers. My contract is almost up and I'm seriously looking at the Motorola Atrix or the Samsung Infuse as my next phone.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The other thing I would like to point out is people always saying "well Android has thousands and thousands of apps and most of them are free!" Yeah I am not denying that they do have a ridiculous amount of apps. But have you ever really looked at them? Due to almost zero quality control about 80% of the apps are just complete garbage.

I mentioned that same thing, but maybe in another forum. The apps on the Android Market are so bad, Google is hiring quality developers to create apps for their market. Not too mention, there is no easy way to pay for apps. Apple's App Store has some polished, quality apps. Try to find the same on Android. I'm not bashing Android as it's the OS I prefer right now (I do use my HD7 as my main phone though), but any time you allow developers to submit apps with no approval process, you will get some really bad apps.

Ok, back on topic....

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
MS may be in it for the long haul, but they are falling behind. They need to constantly have their vendors grinding out new hardware. They can't just worry about gaining new customers, they also have to worry about keeping current customers. My contract is almost up and I'm seriously looking at the Motorola Atrix or the Samsung Infuse as my next phone.

+1. I get online hoping to see leaks of some new WP7 devices but only to be met by 10 new Android phones lol. It's seriously frustrating to see all the Android phones being announced daily and not a peep out of WP7. I would love to have the atrix hardware running WP7. I will stick with WP7 for a while because just like Nicka and firedancer have said, the Android market is terrible....no real quality. Please Nokia...make a windows phone!!!

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Not saying I don't believe you but please share what makes wp7 better than ios in your opinion. It's just funny that anytime someone says that they came from a different os, it's always ios. Don't y'all find that kinda weird?

Not really. My last phone was an iPhone too.

Wp7 Live Tiles > iOS Dumb icons...

-I can check weather without opening weather app.
-I can see my next calendar items without opening calendar app
-They're attractive and add interest. The AP mobile app regularly changes its tile pic based on current events.
-They can be more than just apps - they can be specific things in apps, such as a contact or video.

The metro design aesthetic is infinitely better than iOS, and this aesthetic has been carried into the large majority of apps. Whether it is the facebook app, big oven, or a myriad others... swiping left and right through a larger panorama is much better than tapping "back" buttons or other tap-tap navigation. Everything is more fluid. Facebook in iOS used to give you a quick pop up at the bottom when you had new notifications (when it worked). If it didn't work (common) or you weren't fast enough to tap it before it disappears, it took two steps to get to the notifications. In wp7, I swipe left and I'm there.

Pictures:

The picture hub brings in your pics from multiple sources: Facebook. Skydrive. Windows Live... and of course your local camera roll. iOS last I checked you had only whatever you synced via itunes or took on the phone.

Want to clear your camera roll on wp7? Hold the "camera roll" icon and tap the "clear" menu that comes up. Wanna do the same on iOS? Tough luck. Either I never found it, or there is no option to delete the entire roll. Go delete 'em one by one. In fact, I found it to be a total pain to delete pics from my iPhone. I ended up using the Microsoft camera wizard, which has a setting to transfer pics and delete them from the source... the iphone.

Music:

I have a zune pass. I regularly download a bunch of songs I don't own via the zune software while I'm at the desktop. Unlike iOS, I don't have to go get my phone's cable from the kitchen counter where its charging, and plug it into the computer to sync these new songs. No, on wp7, I just drag the songs to any playlist I have set to sync with the phone... it syncs over my home network.

The Zune software is, imo, substatially more enjoyable to use than iTunes too. Its simpler, less bloated, and just feels altogether fresh.

While it definitely has its own gaps, there are a ton of advantages to wp7 vs iOS. Many people refuse to look, or don't pay attention... or are true believers of the Apple religion.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not really. My last phone was an iPhone too.

Wp7 Live Tiles > iOS Dumb icons...

-I can check weather without opening weather app.
-I can see my next calendar items without opening calendar app
-They're attractive and add interest. The AP mobile app regularly changes its tile pic based on current events.
-They can be more than just apps - they can be specific things in apps, such as a contact or video.

The metro design aesthetic is infinitely better than iOS, and this aesthetic has been carried into the large majority of apps. Whether it is the facebook app, big oven, or a myriad others... swiping left and right through a larger panorama is much better than tapping "back" buttons or other tap-tap navigation. Everything is more fluid. Facebook in iOS used to give you a quick pop up at the bottom when you had new notifications (when it worked). If it didn't work (common) or you weren't fast enough to tap it before it disappears, it took two steps to get to the notifications. In wp7, I swipe left and I'm there.

Pictures:

The picture hub brings in your pics from multiple sources: Facebook. Skydrive. Windows Live... and of course your local camera roll. iOS last I checked you had only whatever you synced via itunes or took on the phone.

Want to clear your camera roll on wp7? Hold the "camera roll" icon and tap the "clear" menu that comes up. Wanna do the same on iOS? Tough luck. Either I never found it, or there is no option to delete the entire roll. Go delete 'em one by one. In fact, I found it to be a total pain to delete pics from my iPhone. I ended up using the Microsoft camera wizard, which has a setting to transfer pics and delete them from the source... the iphone.

Music:

I have a zune pass. I regularly download a bunch of songs I don't own via the zune software while I'm at the desktop. Unlike iOS, I don't have to go get my phone's cable from the kitchen counter where its charging, and plug it into the computer to sync these new songs. No, on wp7, I just drag the songs to any playlist I have set to sync with the phone... it syncs over my home network.

The Zune software is, imo, substatially more enjoyable to use than iTunes too. Its simpler, less bloated, and just feels altogether fresh.

While it definitely has its own gaps, there are a ton of advantages to wp7 vs iOS. Many people refuse to look, or don't pay attention... or are true believers of the Apple religion.

wow... That was a painful read... Such a rant... I enjoyed every bit of it :) I honestly think that I cannot agree more this passage was almost insightful lol.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Tried my app out with the new OS today and then decided to take copy & paste for a spin. It's certainly functional but don't expect it to revolutionise the way your phone works.

I think the more exciting part is the speed update, it won't make as much difference for people like me with the Omnia 7 (see memory type) but for my father and his HD7 it will shave a fair amount of time from loading into the various games.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You mad!!! It's great that you wanna wait almost 1 more year for a serious update but i'm not that patient.

So the update coming any day is not serious? Copy & Paste and the performance improvements are nothing to you? I see, I see. So, please define serious to me.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah if that update is copy/paste and app improvement its pretty lame. No multitasking, custom ringtones, can't send videos, no flash, etc. Yeah this update is pointless. I'm sure they could do better than that.

Last edited:

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
@tre-nitty: I totally agree with you. Folks, everyone seems to be buying into Microsoft's hype about this release coming in a few days. They need to do better!

Is it a new OS? Yes. Can we get everything we ever wanted in a "Windows" mobile OS all at once? Of course not. Does Microsoft claim to be in it for the long haul? That's what they say. Nevertheless, we need to challenge Microsoft to deliver more capability sooner, rather than drinking the Kool-Aid and accepting every utterance without question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss