NoDo update pushed back!

onlywaytomo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
and this is a small update, god knows how long its going to take them to get a major update. Hopefully early adopters hardware isnt oudated by then

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What a shame. I was really wanting devs to get access so thy can start cramming out more app.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

JRDroid

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
5 months between the initial availability of the OS and its first update really isn't that bad. Thats how long it was between Android 1.0 and Android 1.1 for example. I bet it gets announced at MWC and there will be new hardware launches on the 8th to coincide with the release of the new update.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
5 months between the initial availability of the OS and its first update really isn't that bad. Thats how long it was between Android 1.0 and Android 1.1 for example. I bet it gets announced at MWC and there will be new hardware launches on the 8th to coincide with the release of the new update.

The NoDo update was promised to be on our phones by January multiple times, dating all the way back to October.. so yes, two months late and a laundry list of broken promises just to get a fairly minor update is a pretty damn huge deal, and a slap in our faces.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

The initial updates that iOS and Android got should not be held up as comparable to the initial update that WP7 is going to get. iOS and Android blazed a little ground - WP7 is a metoo attempt, and I haven't heard of anything yet in the first update that frankly should not have been in the initial release.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I's becoming a joke and yes I feel bad for early adopters, especially those who used their upgrade on the phone. I have recently switched back to Android because of the constant delays but still read the board because there is good conversation here.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ms everyone is watching you dont drop the ball now i really hope ms has something under there sleeve on MWC, this update should been available weeks ago SMH

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When did M$ say the update was coming in February? They have stuck to 1st qtr 2011. So I wuoldn't call it a push back. Relax folks. March isn't that far away.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
When did M$ say the update was coming in February? They have stuck to 1st qtr 2011. So I wuoldn't call it a push back. Relax folks. March isn't that far away.

+1. I don't recall MS ever saying a specific date either. I've never had a smart phone before and still glad I chose WP7 as my first.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Copy/paste, performance optimizations, and marketplace search tweaks -- big whoop.

I've had copy/paste in my Nokia N95-4, Nokia N97, and Nokia N900. I've used that feature only once or twice the past few years.

I'd much rather have an update that would unlock and re-format micro-SD cards so other devices can use them, but other than that, my WP7 works great and I am GRATEFUL that Microsoft is working on improving WP7 with updates.

Patience is a virtue, folks.

Michael.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Unless I'm insane (which I might be), at the launch they threw in NYC, they had "COPY AND PASTE COMING IN JANUARY" plastered across the wall behind Belfiore while he was talking about copy and paste coming in an update in January. I also believe that many WP7 engineers were quoted as saying "You'll see it in a few weeks" right after launch in November. I don't take "a few weeks" as four months.

Patience is a virtue, folks.

Patience and dealing with blatant lies and horrible communication are two completely seperate things. If they had said March when they told us about this update back in October, no one (or at least most people) wouldn't have an issue with it. My point is that if they're putting out a SMALL update two months late, how long is it going to take them (erm, how long overdue) to put out the LARGE updates? Six months late? A year late? This is a horrible warning sign for the future of this OS, and it breaks my heart.

Last edited:

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Patience and dealing with blatant lies and horrible communication are two completely seperate things. If they had said March when they told us about this update back in October, no one (or at least most people) wouldn't have an issue with it. My point is that if they're putting out a SMALL update two months late, how long is it going to take them (erm, how long overdue) to put out the LARGE updates? Six months late? A year late? This is a horrible warning sign for the future of this OS, and it breaks my heart.

Perhaps the reason why I can empathize with Microsoft is because I am a software developer, myself, and I have also experienced the same behavior from Nokia. But now that the proverbial milk has been spilled, what do you propose Microsoft should do? If they "promised" an update in January, should they release an update even if it's not complete (i.e. not fully tested and passed acceptance testing) and half-baked? Should they throw more resources into the mix?

Copy/paste, performance enhancements, and marketplace search tweaks sound like trivial improvements and features for you, but being on the other side, I know that is not always the case in implementation.

WP7, as it is, functions perfectly fine. Did you buy a WP7 for the promise of updates, the UI/UX, or what? If you are really stressing over a software update, then perhaps it's time to select a different OS. Just remember, the grass ain't necessarily greener on the other side.

Personally, when they just released the developer tools update, I knew that it would be AT LEAST another month before the update is released to consumers. This gives WP7 developers to update and test their apps with the new features. And if those developers encounter critical issues w/ the new developer tools, guess what...

Michael.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos