2011 updates

mworsham

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Did anyone else notice that the March update was called a "free" update? I wonder if they are going to come out with updates that aren't free?

Disclaimer: I love my Samsung Focus, and Windows Phone 7. Not complaining, just wondering. :)

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone else notice that the March update was called a "free" update? I wonder if they are going to come out with updates that aren't free?

Disclaimer: I love my Samsung Focus, and Windows Phone 7. Not complaining, just wondering. :)

I would highly advise they remain free, in the catchup position they're in, having updates that you have to pay for is a very very bad idea. As it is I hate capitalism, if it were confirmed that even one update were to be paid for I would immediately jump ship back to Android.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I Really Doubt It

If MS began charging for their WP updates, of course it would piss everyone off.

The other thing that would happen, is that all the people with Windows Phones that don't really keep up with the details would miss out. They may get a notification for an update, but if it costs any money at all (or even if a free update is not easily implemented) they will not do it. This will mean that a good portion of the consumers will not get full use out of their phones. This would include features that MS has spent considerable time and money developing.

Microsoft certainly knows better than this. They would be throwing away a lot of their hard work just to make a little money. They will make so much more if they can get the OS working better.

I hope I'm right...

chnkfc

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
if they decide to charge for any update i'm jumping ship,because that's ridiculous... I've never heard of anyone charging for an update.

Wokia

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I would think a licence deal between Microsoft and the OEMs/ODMs prohibits the licencer from charging the end user for software updates.

mworsham

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not really worried about it, I just thought it was crazy that the included the word "free" in the talk about the updates.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon