Verizon and Motorola Pronounce WP7 a Failure

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
US marketshare aside his point about most of the mobile world using GSM is a fact. I'd rather you don't overlook the UK/EU and other parts and only think of the US who's pretty behind when it comes to the cellphone market anyways.

iOS, Android, WP7, webOS, and partially Meego are all American-owned OS's. How is the US "pretty behind"? Even RIM's BBOS is coded and built a few hours from us. Honestly curious as to what the UK/EU people have that we haven't heard about. The only thing I can think of is Symbian which, despite it's huge marketshare, is now a vegetable on life support..

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
iOS, Android, WP7, webOS, and partially Meego are all American-owned OS's. How is the US "pretty behind"? Even RIM's BBOS is coded and built a few hours from us. Honestly curious as to what the UK/EU people have that we haven't heard about. The only thing I can think of is Symbian which, despite it's huge marketshare, is now a vegetable on life support..

He wasnt talking about OS types when he said the US is behind, hes talking about technology. And hes right, this is one of the few countries that supports CDMA I think, everywhere else its GSM.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
US marketshare aside his point about most of the mobile world using GSM is a fact. I'd rather you don't overlook the UK/EU and other parts and only think of the US who's pretty behind when it comes to the cellphone market anyways.

Agreed! And thats why WP7 can thrive without Verizon. Sprint is releasing the HTC Pro 7 tomorrow. If Verizon wants to ride the MotoAndroid to the bottom of the sea, then so be it. Microsoft is positioning itself to make a huge surge in the mobile smartphone market. That started with WP7 and GSM networks. Look at the ecosystem that they are setting up. Look at the new features and integration that is coming to WP7. I think the sleeping giant has awaken. Some of may doubt it because its not happening as fast as you would like. Your looking for a Blitzkrieg. Its not going to happen like that. Microsoft is massing the troops and moving everything into place. A steady buildup of new features and data centric integration. Thats one of there strong points. There are so many areas that microsoft has were they can integrate WP7. What does the compititon have as far as integration? Nothing! Thats why their platforms are basically application launcher.

Oh, and its not the Kool-aid, though it is sweet ;-)....Its the potential I see in this new and very fresh Metro UI. :)

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! And thats why WP7 can thrive without Verizon. Sprint is releasing the HTC Pro 7 tomorrow. If Verizon wants to ride the MotoAndroid to the bottom of the sea, then so be it. Microsoft is positioning itself to make a huge surge in the mobile smartphone market. That started with WP7 and GSM networks. Look at the ecosystem that they are setting up. Look at the new features and integration that is coming to WP7. I think the sleeping giant has awaken. Some of may doubt it because its not happening as fast as you would like. Your looking for a Blitzkrieg. Its not going to happen like that. Microsoft is massing the troops and moving everything into place. A steady buildup of new features and data centric integration. Thats one of there strong points. There are so many areas that microsoft has were they can integrate WP7. What does the compititon have as far as integration? Nothing! Thats why their platforms are basically application launcher.

Oh, and its not the Kool-aid, though it is sweet ;-)....Its the potential I see in this new and very fresh Metro UI. :)

LTE is has been deemed the next global standard (and LTE is actually a closer evolution to CDMA than GSM) and Verizon will have the first US nationwide LTE network.

The United States is Microsoft's market, the market where Zune is the most successful (if not simply the most available) Xbox and Xbox live are most successful.

If you think Microsoft doesn't even need a presence on a network with access to what soon will be 100 million people who have access to RIM, iPhone, WebOS, and Android, then you're crazy.

Seriously, this thing needs all of the help it can get. It's virtually non existent in public opinion.

By the way, up until perhaps 2 months from now, there isn't even real GSM in the entire middle of the country. From rural Texas all the way up to Montana and North Dakota (where I live) you can't buy T-Mobile or AT&T. There's roaming support...but they won't sell you a device and you get now 3G.

Look at what Verizon did for Android.....it basically birthed it into this world.....without Verizon....Android wouldn't be anywhere near where it was.

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
By the way, up until perhaps 2 months from now, there isn't even real GSM in the entire middle of the country. From rural Texas all the way up to Montana and North Dakota (where I live) you can't buy T-Mobile or AT&T. There's roaming support...but they won't sell you a device and you get now 3G.

Really? Thats odd because I have friends in that region that's used AT&T for years...

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Could have sworn AT&T headquarters is and has been in Dallas, Texas...

I said rural Texas.

And, okay, I screwed that up, but it's these states affected by the AT&T/Alltel Merger.

Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming

Anyways....when you live in the boonies...things are a little different out there.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The notion that WP7 NEEDS verizon to succeed seems a bit far fetched to me, didnt seem to do the Palm Pre any good, did it? No point having all those subscribers if you are going to actively discourage them from buying a WP7 device in the first place, better not to launch there and let those who want it either move to another carrier or just do without. Much better than the bad press the resulting low sales will generate.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
LTE is has been deemed the next global standard (and LTE is actually a closer evolution to CDMA than GSM) and Verizon will have the first US nationwide LTE network.

The United States is Microsoft's market, the market where Zune is the most successful (if not simply the most available) Xbox and Xbox live are most successful.

If you think Microsoft doesn't even need a presence on a network with access to what soon will be 100 million people who have access to RIM, iPhone, WebOS, and Android, then you're crazy.

Seriously, this thing needs all of the help it can get. It's virtually non existent in public opinion.

Look at what Verizon did for Android.....it basically birthed it into this world.....without Verizon....Android wouldn't be anywhere near where it was.

Verizon should do well for any fragmented OS, because all the really want is phone sells anyway. Lets see when they can browse and talk on the phone at the same time. Time will tell. Remember, this is not a sprint. By the way, what phone do you use?

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon should do well for any fragmented OS, because all the really want is phone sells anyway. Lets see when they can browse and talk on the phone at the same time. Time will tell. Remember, this is not a sprint. By the way, what phone do you use?

LTE phones will be able to browse and talk this year most likely. It looks like the Thunderbolt will be capable of that when in an LTE area.

I use a Verizon Droid Incredible that's been rooted to an Android 2.3 rom. Like I said...untill maybe April...there's never been true GSM service in North Dakota. It's just a silly business decision and we haven't seen any evidence that Windows Phone 7 is even going to succeed.

Microsoft has done an amazing job with developers, but they need to leverage all of the strengths they can to be competitive. It's an awesome OS, but it's still lacking a lot of features of WebOS, iOS, and Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb