Please help.

66pens87

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So I am really digging the wp7 os. I am currently using the HTC Evo running Android. I want some change. I know this is a young os, so I am prepared to ride this out as it gets better. I do have a couple questions?

First question is, is the Facebook ap support TRUE push notifications like ios. Last Facebook Android update said it supported "push" notifications. Well its not a true Push. Sometimes you will be notified within a minute from something going on with your Facebook account, or it can take 30 minutes to send you a notification that you have a message. I have even had it not send me a notification for a few days, then all of a sudden, I will get notified I have 17 messages. I know my roommates iphone gets "TRUE" Push. EVERY TIME.

My second question is the wm7 setup like ios to where you simply connect your phone and it auto syncs any thing new from your Zune like songs. That is one cool thing I do like about the iphone. My roommate hooks his I phone up at night to charge and any new songs, contacts, calendar updates, podcasts are updated auto sunk to the phone. He unplugs his phone in the AM and out the door he goes.

Thanks folks for taking the time to answer my questions.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Facebook won't have "true" push (yet); at least until later this year when MS rolls out socket support, which should be needed for that. I have facebook setup to email me at my gmail account for notifications, and gmail is pushed to my phone pretty much instantaneously.

The syncing will operate just like the iphone if you want it to. You have three options on all media types (music, videos, podcasts, pictures).

1. You can have it do "everything" automatically (puts everything of that type from your comp to your phone).

2. You can have it sync certain folders you choose, or

3. You can do completely manual.

Sounds like you want # 2. Its really easy to setup, and once you do, any changes to those folders will sync with your phone next time its connected (you can also wirelessly sync).

Contacts are constantly sync'd over the air via your email/facebook accounts so thats a non issue.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to add, the facebook integration is bar none the best on any platform, so while you don't get "push notifications", the ease of viewing updated facebook status/pictures and making comments ect is by far the easiest and best designed out of the platforms.

This will only be made better later by push notifications.

66pens87

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the reply. I am making the wp7 switch this week.

What sucks is it looks like I am going to have to go to AT&T. I was waiting for Sprint to announce there first wp7 phone. Unfortunately, for me, its going to be the Pro7. After using the Evo and its awesome 4.3 inch screen, I could never got back to a screen smaller then 4 inches.

I will say that I really do like the slide out QWERTY on the Pro7 though. hmmm.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Also check out the Samsung Focus. The Super AMOLED screen is extremely nice. It would be hard for me to go back to a regular AMOLED or LCD screen now haha. Its nice to have hardware options though, which is one thing I loved about Android. Not everybody likes or needs the same hardware.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
yeah thats what I am thinking. That Samsungs screen is awesome. I can'y wait for the Nokia/wp7 release later this year.

I hear ya. If (when) Nokia puts out an upper end phone, and not just the lower price ones they've been touting recently, I will most likely go with one of theirs. Nokia's upper end hardware & services are excellent.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire