I'm throwing down the gauntlet....

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Why....oh....why!? Is the Omnia 7 the only Windows Phone that looks like a windows Phone?

HTC's phones look like HTC phones....which is a solid design.....and I love the Dell Venue.

By eff you AT&T.

Who here thinks that the Zune has awesome industrial design. You're all raising your hands? Fantastic. It's visually appealing with it's cornered edges. And Microsoft likes it just as much as I do.....evidence in the Windows Phone demo look. Yet somehow..AT&T has gotten it's grubby *** paws into the industrial design of the Quantum and Focus. What is up with those rounded edges!?

There's further reason to this. The UI is heavily influenced by corners, edges, and squares. I'm of the belief that the hardware should compliment the UI.

I've often sat wondering about how I don't want to reward AT&T's design....

You folks in Europe have it so good.

Anyways.....I though maybe we could have a specific thread talking about the industrial design and artistic choices for the hardware for our favorite OS.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I like it,it's not perfect but then we still haven't had an update yet so give it sometime. I'm giving it a year. I'm hoping in that time WP7 will be on equal grounds with the big two.

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the op was referring to the physical design of the handset itself.

I agree, the square cornered design *is* more appealing to the eye, but having lived with a Sony Ericsson X10 (arguably the sexyest phone I've had) for a few months, I have to say in day-to-day pocket use I prefer my Surround.

To each their own, though!

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I hate Samsung's chinsey feeling plastic, and less than quality feeling buttons (like power button on the Focus), but overall it was the best choice on AT&T for my personal tastes (solid bar, good screen). I do like the "look" and design of it, but Samsung's chassis (and firmware) leave a lot to be desired.

This is why I look forward to a solid Nokia built device as they typically have great designs, very good quality & their services which will be on the phones should be outstanding.

My Nexus one is sitting next to me, and when I hold it, it just feels like a quality peice of equipment. The focus feels more like it needs to be handled with care. I don't much like that. If Nokia builds a wp7 phone anything like the N8 in build quality, I will be a happy camper.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the Omnia7 and I think it looks great, the aluminium case really makes it feel like a quality product. My bro is on a different carrier and because of their band he is disappointed that he has to get the Focus instead - sure it's essentially the same phone but in a curved plastic shell and the main thing that ruins it is the soft home button instead of a physical round iphone-style one.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Did AT&T design the phone? I have the HD7, but also have the Samsung Fascinate (android). I think Samsung just went with the design if their other phones. I can't blame them because I can tell right away it's a Samsung. That's what they were probably going for.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Did AT&T design the phone? I have the HD7, but also have the Samsung Fascinate (android). I think Samsung just went with the design if their other phones. I can't blame them because I can tell right away it's a Samsung. That's what they were probably going for.

If you look into...Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T have some sort of design teams that try to accentuate the hardware the way they seem fit.

Most of AT&T's phones have a similar sort of rounded bottom...they all look like AT&T's phones.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth (and whilst I agree that my Omnia is a sexy little beast) the brushed aluminium doesn't really allow for good grip on the phone so it's resulted on me getting a silicone case for it which unfortunately rounds things off a bit

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have a Samsung Captivate with WP7 on it. The "carbon fiber" battery cover strikes me as really nice.. which is weird cuz I normally hate crap like that.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have a Samsung Captivate with WP7 on it. The "carbon fiber" battery cover strikes me as really nice.. which is weird cuz I normally hate crap like that.

The Captivate was definitely the nicest looking of all of the "Galaxy" phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett