They did not take Facebook integration far enough

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Did MS take Facebook integration far enough?

I have been playing around with the facebook integration on this OS, and while the facebook integration is nice I am failing to see any situation where opening up the facebook app is not superior. Going into the people hub, you get to see your wall. That's nice, but is that really it? What about notifications? Let me give you an example of how using the phone is more cumbersome than the app:

WP7 navigation:
1. Someone comments on your photo, you get a text message on your phone
2. Clicking the link in the text message launches the website in IE rather than taking you to the picture on your phone.
3. There is no notifications page in the People hub which will direct link to the photo and the comment. If I want to see the comment in the pictures hub, there is no easy way to get to it there either.
4. You have to manually find the photo. I see no workaround for this. Am I just missing something obvious?

facebook app navigation:
1. Someone comments on your photo, you get a text message on your phone
2. Open facebook app
3. Swipe to notifications, find the comment notification and it takes you right to the photo

The same applies to direct messages in facebook...a direct message in facebook does not come over to the phone itself for you to reply. You have to reply over the web or in the facebook app. Why even bother with the WP7 integration which is limited when you can just launch the facebook app and handle every situation there? Is it really just for a quick check to see your wall or post a quick status?

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The Text message thing is Facebook's own notification system so that's why it launched in IE rather than using the phone. However I do agree that a push notification system for FB notifications or some indication on the People live tile is a great idea (as long as it can be enabled/disabled).

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you have your contacts synced to a FB acct or if you have the whole hub synced with your FB you get to see their walls in the people hub too. Same for the Pics hub but its strickly just pics.

Yes, I have noticed that which is also nice. I am wondering if in the pics hub there is an easy way to find your pics that others have commented on. Maybe in the pics hub in the What's New page they should add some notifiers with links to pics that have been commented...that would solve the issue. The pics hub allow for you to easily view and add comments just like the FB app, but no easy way to find them that I can see.

I guess overall the facebook integration is a good quick way to view your wall, comment on posts to it, and view pictures. Unless someone messages you or comments on your photos you don't need to enter the facebook app. A few more additions and there would be almost no need for it.

Last edited:

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I usually have to check the Facebook app from time to time to see notifications. I've got the "Me" tile pinned to my phone so I'm able to check from time to time if people commented on a status update. Still no quick way to check if someone commented on a post after you or sent you a private message.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I usually have to check the Facebook app from time to time to see notifications. I've got the "Me" tile pinned to my phone so I'm able to check from time to time if people commented on a status update. Still no quick way to check if someone commented on a post after you or sent you a private message.

I have Facebook notifications through email which work well for now until something is worked out. I'm personally happy with the way it works but it would be nice to have native IM and messaging integration so that the app isn't needed I currently only have the Facebook app just to reply to messages and for poke wars. If they get full Facebook and Twitter integration on mango that would be too awesome, which is why it probably won't happen lmao.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I turn Facebook notifications off on Android because A. It saves battery life. B. I really don't need to know in a flash if I got a Facebook notification because I'm always checking Facebook when I have a few minutes of boredom anyways.

FearThyWrath

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i just want to able to click a status in people hub to open in facebook app since hey they are both made by microsoft so it cant be that hard

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I turn Facebook notifications off on Android because A. It saves battery life. B. I really don't need to know in a flash if I got a Facebook notification because I'm always checking Facebook when I have a few minutes of boredom anyways.

I dont mean be an *******, and I know we're talking about Facebook, but how is this post in any way relevant to windows phone 7?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have Facebook notifications through email which work well for now until something is worked out. I'm personally happy with the way it works but it would be nice to have native IM and messaging integration so that the app isn't needed I currently only have the Facebook app just to reply to messages and for poke wars. If they get full Facebook and Twitter integration on mango that would be too awesome, which is why it probably won't happen lmao.

Hmm good idea. I had turned off email notifications because my BlackBerry notified me of updates without them, but maybe I should turn them back on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3