WP7 phone as a Wi-Fi only device with no cell service?

MrBigFeathers#CB

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully someone can answer this question for me. I was thinking about getting a WP7 device with no cell service at all. I was going to use it as a zune/xbox live device only. My question is will it work with no service and using only Wi-Fi? I know an Android phone can be used as a Wi-Fi only device but a Blackberry cannot. I can't find anything about WP7.

Thanks.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My phone is activated. But I took out my SIM card and I was able to download songs using Zune Pass, email worked, IE works, and XBL worked.All via WiFi. Hope this helps.
Hopefully someone can answer this question for me. I was thinking about getting a WP7 device with no cell service at all. I was going to use it as a zune/xbox live device only. My question is will it work with no service and using only Wi-Fi? I know an Android phone can be used as a Wi-Fi only device but a Blackberry cannot. I can't find anything about WP7.

Thanks.

MrBigFeathers#CB

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't need the phone capabilities at all. I have an Incredible on Verizon, I just want the Xbox Live and Zune capabilities. So I want to get probably a Focus and be able to take it out of the box, turn it on, connect to to Wi-Fi and go. No SIM card since I wouldn't have ATT service.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't need the phone capabilities at all. I have an Incredible on Verizon, I just want the Xbox Live and Zune capabilities. So I want to get probably a Focus and be able to take it out of the box, turn it on, connect to to Wi-Fi and go. No SIM card since I wouldn't have ATT service.

If I was you.....I'd hope that Microsoft refreshed the Zune HD hardware (even if they call it something else) to do what you are asking.

Microsoft can't be blind to see that iPod touches blow the app and game marketplace wide open for iOS devs, and it basically breeds future iPhone buyers.

MrBigFeathers#CB

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If I was you.....I'd hope that Microsoft refreshed the Zune HD hardware (even if they call it something else) to do what you are asking.

Microsoft can't be blind to see that iPod touches blow the app and game marketplace wide open for iOS devs, and it basically breeds future iPhone buyers.

That is exactly what I want but it didn't seem like it was going to ever happen. I would like more than 16gb of storage space.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
DaveMacMS has stated on the anythingbutipod forums that MS is totally aware there is a market for a media device with Zune/app capabilities without being tied to a carrier and contract. I expect we will see an updated Zune sometime, but maybe not until next year.

Until then, yes, you can totally use a WP7 without having cell service, and no, you don't need cell service to activate your phone.

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of something that will hinder this capability, however. You probably need cell service in order for your phone to get notified that there is a software update available. As far as I understand it, your phone will not be able to download an update until your carrier allows your phone to do so by sending out an update notification. Not clear on this, though.

johnpaul13

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
i'm your labrat

Thanks.
bought one on ebay and will be doing the same thing as you (can't part with my bb). ill tell you wht u can and cannot do.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I will be doing something like this as well, for about a month. AT&T is sending me my phone in march but not activating until April or May as part of the Alltel conversion. I am hoping I can use the games and Netflix out of the box rather than have to shelve it for a month.

ethylove

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
you should be able to update through zune on your PC. I used my focus for a bit just on wi-fi (also using a BB torch) and everything works. as far as I can tell.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what services would work and what would not on wifi only, even on an activated phone? Example: HTC Arrive being used overseas. Would I be able to only get e-mail and that is all?

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It does everything bit ..ake phone calls one good thing is using the same live id you can have the apps and Zune pass on up to 5 devices

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss