How comfortable do you feel with the future of WP7?

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So far I have things that I like about WP7 and things I don't. I'm going to hold off on posting my opinion for a bit until I get into more of a routine usage.

I will say though that my girlfriend has been playing with my Focus quite a bit, and she is actually impressed and is thinking of switching from her 3GS this June. She has two reasons. 1) She is impressed with the facebook integration and how it ties into everything, from the pictures app to the SMS interface, and 2) She isn't that excited to use her phone upgrade to just go from one Iphone to another when it's still essentially the same phone, and my phone is completely different.

Her roommate (who has an Iphone 4) then said pretty much the same thing after she was telling him about why she wanted to switch in June.

This is all anecdotal, but I think just the fact that it's different and the unique social networking integrations can really propel WP7 and gives me some hope for it's future.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that they are in fact DRM free MP3's.

How do you figure they have DRM?

My GF has a zune pass I do not.
All songs we rip, download or zune pass download to our personal cloud, our NAS.
When I try to play a song she has downloaded Zune asks me to login.
Not letting me play...

OF COURSE I could just be thinking of the "subscription" folder but I sure hope not. :)

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
My GF has a zune pass I do not.
All songs we rip, download or zune pass download to our personal cloud, our NAS.
When I try to play a song she has downloaded Zune asks me to login.
Not letting me play...

OF COURSE I could just be thinking of the "subscription" folder but I sure hope not. :)

I donno, if I try to stream to my Xbox....it works fine unless I stumble on Zune Pass content. I'm pretty sure the literature says is DRM free.....you sure you know for sure which ones are which?

Edit:

From Zune.net FAQ

"Examples of DRM-protected content in the Zune Marketplace
Music in .WMA format
Zune Pass content
Music Videos
TV Video
Examples of DRM-free content in the Zune Marketplace
Music in .MP3 format
Music and Video Podcasts"

Last edited:

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Which reminds me....I wish the Xbox media functions in the dashboard would accept Zune content.

There's a Zune app now...but you can only stream....which is fine, but I wish you could access your own content easily.

johnpaul13

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the posts. I think I will get the focus, and hope I can get a good enough feel for the phone in the 30 days that I can gauge if I will like having it for the next 2 years.

I really wish AT&T had 1 year contracts, I would feel much safer betting on WP7, which in theory seems really good, but since I don't know anyone in real life who has one it's hard to gauge (no offense to any of you here :) )

Try buying it off of ebay, around 70-80 dollars more than the subsidized price.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I donno, if I try to stream to my Xbox....it works fine unless I stumble on Zune Pass content. I'm pretty sure the literature says is DRM free.....you sure you know for sure which ones are which?

Edit:

From Zune.net FAQ

"Examples of DRM-protected content in the Zune Marketplace
Music in .WMA format
Zune Pass content
Music Videos
TV Video
Examples of DRM-free content in the Zune Marketplace
Music in .MP3 format
Music and Video Podcasts"

So...I was right...(haven't tried again), that sucks...

Anyway, I don't like the there isn't a lot of news as we float around in the dark. I mean Apple is secretive too but this is nuts...has anyone tried emailing William@ms.com for answers?

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Me personally I do not mind. I understand why they do it. The 10 songs I decide to keep are for me, Not to share. What do you expect? If you share Lars @ Metallica will show up at your door to serve a warrant! XD

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So...I was right...(haven't tried again), that sucks...

Anyway, I don't like the there isn't a lot of news as we float around in the dark. I mean Apple is secretive too but this is nuts...has anyone tried emailing William@ms.com for answers?

No, your song credits are in MP3 which are DRM free.

I'm sorry to say, but you were wrong.

The Zune pass content comes down as DRM'd .WMA files.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So I have had my Samsung Focus for 4 days now. I am actually extremely impressed with WP7 so far. Some things I have noticed:

* I am constantly impressed at how fluid everything is. More than just how awesomely smooth the interface is in general, I can exit almost any application and game and be at the home screen in less than a second. I can extremely quickly go in and out of applications one after another without experiencing any slowdown, and it feels amazing.

* I love the integration of everything and how quickly I can go from text messages, to facebook feeds, to a person's facebook wall, to their photo collection, then to my photo collection and back. It's so seamless to navigate, and I can't wait to see how this gets built upon.

* I love the extremely focused and no-distraction/no-frills interface. Half of the people I have showed it off to are impressed and the other half think it's boring, but honestly that's ok. It really gives people a choice of interface to use for their phone in the market. For me, the the focused (and well integrated options) really make it fast and easy to find the information I am looking for, and it being clean makes the text really easy to read.

* I love how all my games are automatically put in the Games application and do not clutter up my app listing. It makes it SO much easier to find games when I want to, but also find applications when I'm not looking for an installed game. It's a small thing, but I like it

* Xbox live integration is kind of nice. Achievement whoring never gets old, and I have quite a few friends who have 360s.

* The keyboard is nice, although I still keep hitting the return key when I mean to hit backspace, and I tend to hit the spacebar when I am going for a letter on the bottom row. I've had that issue on every virtual keyboard I have used though.

* Zune is awesome, both the desktop application and the phone app. At first I was a bit apprehensive, but between the Zune pass, wireless sync of all my music, and the music discovery options, I am having a blast. However, I do wish I could store an online list of artists I like so I can keep tabs on Zune Pass music that I like (this is an issue due to me using zune pass at work and at home).

* Bing maps seems to have more interface polish than Google maps on Android. While it lacks turn by turn navigation, everything else about it makes me enjoy it more than GMaps did on my last android. Transitions are smooth, you can more easily see the map while looking at the directions listing, and it seems to load the actual maps faster (though that could be due to AT&T). I did encounter one bug the other day where it wouldn't load directions but it didn't last long.

* Game trials are nothing but <3, Especially since apps cost a bit more on this platform than others (which makes sense, same thing happened on Android for a while until the platform's audience got larger). I'm cheap and don't like spending $3 unless it's something I will play or use ($3 can add up with a lot of apps), and the trials have gotten me to buy things I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger on without trying them first.

* Bluetooth button on the calling interface!!!! This is heaven for me, as I use my phone with my car's Sync system all the time. Many times I put the call in privacy mode, but quite a few times I have wanted phone calls to go from car bluetooth, to phone only, and back to the car's bluetooth (like if other people are in the car). With Android, once i put the phone into Privacy (in phone) mode, I could not push it back to the bluetooth (as far as I could tell). This phone makes it very easy.

All around, this phone has been a complete joy to use, and I am very confident so far that I will be keeping this as my phone past the 30 day return period, even with the update fiasco.

However there are some things that I don't like

* Typing words that aren't in the dictionary is sometimes annoying. Sometimes it will force you to auto-correct to a word you didn't want, and sometimes it's annoying to get past that. Luckily once you do, it's easy to add a word to the phone's dictionary but until you get to that point I had to type the same word in a few times. The last time I used it I was trying to enter the first name of someone who is actually in my contact list. It really needs to be adding all names from my contact list into the phone's dictionary by default.

* The web browser sucks. I'm not sure why every review I read claims it was awesome. For starters, it can't render WPCentral's gradient correctly, and the color transition is extremely broken up and staggered. It reminds me of the old VGA days. My second annoyance is that scrolling quickly produces the blue "loading" areas, so while scrolling is smooth, you still have to wait until things load. Finally, I miss Android's zoom buttons, as it seems the only way to zoom out of a spot is to pinch to zoom, and some areas (like WPCentral's top bar) you can't double tap to zoom in close enough to hit a button, so you have to pinch to zoom. I like using my phone one handed (what I do with my other hand is my own business :p)

* The only reason I will really enjoy copy and paste is due to my reliance on LastPass. It makes it hard to get at some of my passwords for services without it. It's not a deal breaker though, I have found ways to manage without it so far.

* The default ringtones and (more importantly) alarms suck. I usually don't care about custom ringtones and notification sounds, but the ones that come with the phone I am not impressed with at all.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah and one more thing I absolutely love about WP7. I can perform Play/Pause/Next/Previous for music without unlocking my phone. The only other OS I have seen be able to do that is WebOS.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
* The web browser sucks. I'm not sure why every review I read claims it was awesome. For starters, it can't render WPCentral's gradient correctly, and the color transition is extremely broken up and staggered. It reminds me of the old VGA days. My second annoyance is that scrolling quickly produces the blue "loading" areas, so while scrolling is smooth, you still have to wait until things load. Finally, I miss Android's zoom buttons, as it seems the only way to zoom out of a spot is to pinch to zoom, and some areas (like WPCentral's top bar) you can't double tap to zoom in close enough to hit a button, so you have to pinch to zoom. I like using my phone one handed (what I do with my other hand is my own business :p)

The browser is great in that it is highly responsive like the iPhones. Androids was always choppy. However, androids zoom buttons, and fit to screen text wrap ect were better. It would also be nice to be able to double-tap or zoom button for getting closer without having to pinch (more than one time).

The browser works great for now, but can definitely use improvement; but that will come. Check out the blogs/videos for the mobile IE9 which is coming later this year. That will probably be the best browser on a mobile phone. Then hopefully they start adding the nice 'little things' like zoom buttons and all that jazz.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The browser works great for now, but can definitely use improvement; but that will come. Check out the blogs/videos for the mobile IE9 which is coming later this year. That will probably be the best browser on a mobile phone. Then hopefully they start adding the nice 'little things' like zoom buttons and all that jazz.

Yep, saw the videos. It looks good, but I am more of a "I'll believe it when I see it" type of person :p

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Does the double-tap to zoom work differently on Android? It works exactly the same as the iPhone as far as I can tell. You have to tap on text in order for the 'fit to width' to work correctly.

As for the loading screens...how else can it possibly work? If the data isn't there yet would you rather it just not allow you to scroll down? To me it works superior to the iPhone's implementation, which kicks you back up to the top of the screen several times while loading a page.

Last edited:

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Does the double-tap to zoom work differently on Android? It works exactly the same as the iPhone as far as I can tell. You have to tap on text in order for the 'fit to width' to work correctly.

As for the loading screens...how else can it possibly work? If the data isn't there yet would you rather it just not allow you to scroll down? To me it works superior to the iPhone's implementation, which kicks you back up to the top of the screen several times while loading a page.

Couldn't agree more really. How IE on WP7 handles loading web pages is one feature I love about the mobile version of the browser. Not to mention the Metro UI look of the browser itself is so minimalistic that the focus is entirely on the webpage content.

I foresee a healthy future for WP7, it simply needs to mature (and have working updates).

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I loading was the wrong word. I was more referring to when zoomed in, if you scroll down you will get the blue area for the part of the page that hasn't rendered at that zoom level yet. This is after the page is already loaded. It's an issue where it's not rendering the parts of the page as fast as you are scrolling

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I loading was the wrong word. I was more referring to when zoomed in, if you scroll down you will get the blue area for the part of the page that hasn't rendered at that zoom level yet. This is after the page is already loaded. It's an issue where it's not rendering the parts of the page as fast as you are scrolling

Ok, I see what you mean. You can see this right on the wpcentral home page even zoomed out if you scroll very fast. I am pretty sure the iPhone had the same issue on this one...perhaps a memory issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos