NoDo tomorrow 3/7/11?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ha funny. Well as I'm sure you've all probably read that the update is now out unofficially for dev unlocked devices to flash over at XDA. This is a good sign I believe.

I wish Microsoft was more transparent in all of this. It'd be nice if they had gave a date. For all I know I won't see this update, just like I didn't get the pre-nodo update. Microsoft never said hey all US carriers are blocking the pre update...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Word on the street is that all carriers have approved the update and now the only person holding it back is Microsoft. However it's still due this week.

Neowin.net - Microsoft: WP7 NoDo due "sometime this week" [Update]

Update: Surprise, surprise. Neowin has been informed that the "NoDo" update has been delayed, due to Microsoft itself. Carriers worldwide have approved the update, but Microsoft has likely delayed it due to issues with the pre-update on Samsung phones. We're told that we should see the update "this week" still.

sklein382

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, its fine, I don't even want an update.

Seriously tho, come on, this is kind of absurd. I would be happy with any sort of news at this point.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Paul Thurrott just put up a blog post on Windows Phone Secrets complaining about the update situation, both NoDo and pre-NoDo. Maybe we'll see some official response to the post.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Paul Thurrott just put up a blog post on Windows Phone Secrets complaining about the update situation, both NoDo and pre-NoDo. Maybe we'll see some official response to the post.

A pretty crappy blog post. Apple has a much different situation than MS because Apple only has to update one brand of phone (theirs). Thus the comparison is a little unfair as MS also has to make sure the updates work on all (coughSAMSUNGcough) phones. And as he mentioned in the blog/rant, iOS is a more mature platform and have more time and ability to work on minor updates.

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
At the moment I am eager to buy the HTC Arrive as soon as it's available. Even though it will already come with NoDo, I am beginning to become skeptical. This whole scenario reminds me way too much of how HP/Palm handled webOS.

Show off awesome update and coming features without any set dates or release specifics > delay > delay > fail > delay some more

The next logical step is to announce that all current devices are now obsolete (because they are by the time the update is actually ready and working) and say that the new features will only be available on new devices.

All kidding aside, this is a bit worrying. I was kind of hoping wp7 would be the anti-android; the other non-apple OS that had regularly scheduled and good updates.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
At the moment I am eager to buy the HTC Arrive as soon as it's available. Even though it will already come with NoDo, I am beginning to become skeptical. This whole scenario reminds me way too much of how HP/Palm handled webOS.

Show off awesome update and coming features without any set dates or release specifics > delay > delay > fail > delay some more

The next logical step is to announce that all current devices are now obsolete (because they are by the time the update is actually ready and working) and say that the new features will only be available on new devices.

All kidding aside, this is a bit worrying. I was kind of hoping wp7 would be the anti-android; the other non-apple OS that had regularly scheduled and good updates.

Like someone told me in another thread, evaluate WP7 as it is now (or for you, as it is with NoDo since the Arrive will have that). If WP7 *at that time* feels good to you and fits your needs then get it and don't worry about updates, as when they come they will come. If you like WP7 as it is when you evaluate it, then any updates and added functionality is nothing more than a bonus.

If you are really hung up on the potential and the possibilities of the updates later this year then don't get WP7 or else you will be setting yourself up for disappointment. Not because I believe MS will screw this up (I think this will get them to get their act together) but because there's always the possibility the potential you saw won't form into reality the way you want it to, and then will still be disappointed.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
A pretty crappy blog post. Apple has a much different situation than MS because Apple only has to update one brand of phone (theirs). Thus the comparison is a little unfair as MS also has to make sure the updates work on all (coughSAMSUNGcough) phones. And as he mentioned in the blog/rant, iOS is a more mature platform and have more time and ability to work on minor updates.

Microsoft designed WP7 specifically to be the "one" OS that they could roll out updates as needed, carriers and manufacturers aside.. and the fact that they've choked this bad just shows how much they really don't get it. Apple releases updates for iOS on a monthly, sometimes BI-monthly basis, and was updating even more frequently when the OS was first launched. They didn't have to deal with AT&T, so why does Microsoft? Because Microsoft doesn't get it. Apple doesn't have to deal with manufacturers, so why does Microsoft? Because Microsoft doesn't get it.

This is the single biggest thing that's hurting Android right now, Microsoft has known that since they started this whole WP7 thing, and they STILL managed to screw up the update process and timeframe worse than ANY other mobile OS on the market. For me to be able to sit here and say that Android's update procedures and frequency are far superior to WP7's should strike fear in everyone. It's one of the absolute worst things that could happen to this OS, and MS shows zero signs of care or urgency.

iOS is a more mature platform because it's updated. How is WP7 supposed to ever mature if we get two updates a year? iOS will sometimes drop two updates in a WEEK, RIM leaks an OS of some sort what seems like every damn day, and I'm hoping we all know the Google story.

I'm not trying to defend Apple or bash Microsoft, but that's just a point blank, realistic look at the situation, and anyone that thinks WP7 will ever be able to contend with Apple or Google with this kind of support is blind.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you like WP7 as it is when you evaluate it, then any updates and added functionality is nothing more than a bonus.

[In the voice of Stan from American Dad with the non sensical seriousness tone to it]

True, True, but bonuses are a good thing!... right? they are a good thing?

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft designed WP7 specifically to be the "one" OS that they could roll out updates as needed, carriers and manufacturers aside.. and the fact that they've choked this bad just shows how much they really don't get it. Apple releases updates for iOS on a monthly, sometimes BI-monthly basis, and was updating even more frequently when the OS was first launched. They didn't have to deal with AT&T, so why does Microsoft? Because Microsoft doesn't get it. Apple doesn't have to deal with manufacturers, so why does Microsoft? Because Microsoft doesn't get it.

This is the single biggest thing that's hurting Android right now, Microsoft has known that since they started this whole WP7 thing, and they STILL managed to screw up the update process and timeframe worse than ANY other mobile OS on the market. For me to be able to sit here and say that Android's update procedures and frequency are far superior to WP7's should strike fear in everyone. It's one of the absolute worst things that could happen to this OS, and MS shows zero signs of care or urgency.

iOS is a more mature platform because it's updated. How is WP7 supposed to ever mature if we get two updates a year? iOS will sometimes drop two updates in a WEEK, RIM leaks an OS of some sort what seems like every damn day, and I'm hoping we all know the Google story.

I'm not trying to defend Apple or bash Microsoft, but that's just a point blank, realistic look at the situation, and anyone that thinks WP7 will ever be able to contend with Apple or Google with this kind of support is blind.

Don't worry guys this is one of the "WP7 Hypocrites" I was talking about in other threads, claims to looove WP7 but, look at this post... I know some of this MIGHT be true but he refuses to look on the bright side. pessimist

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@mgarcia I bought my WP7 for the features it had, not what Microsoft promised down the road. I've learned that a company can promise the moon, but what you buy is another story. I've bought products where they promise features down the road, which get delayed and then a new hardware revision comes out and that promised feature launches with the revision and your 1st Gen product never gets it.

Point I'm trying to make is this... Is WP7 such a terrible platform? Are there any show stopper bugs or features you can't live without? I don't see IOS or Android offering anything better. And for the people jumping ship to Android for WP7's lack of updates... The grass isn't greener on the Android side of things.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Because Apple has the market share and a loyal enough fanbase to throw their weight around. MS, not so much.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Because Apple has the market share and a loyal enough fanbase to throw their weight around. MS, not so much.

To be fair, Apple didn't have an inordinate amount of "clout" as of the original iPhone launch. Especially concerning Cell Phones and related markets. Agreements where the carriers are not involved could have been done, and I think MS should have done it this way. We will see how the rest of the year plays out.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You can say this, or that, about what's fair or not.....

But the fact of the matter is, Microsoft needs to be flawless. They launched way behind, while missing features. Everyone, even common Microsoft detractors gave them the benefit of the doubt because the OS has new ideas...but they don't get to botch it a few times when the competition is so strong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb