NoDo tomorrow 3/7/11?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, Apple didn't have an inordinate amount of "clout" as of the original iPhone launch. Especially concerning Cell Phones and related markets. Agreements where the carriers are not involved could have been done, and I think MS should have done it this way. We will see how the rest of the year plays out.

But Apple was also locked into a contract with ATT. Essentially you win some, you lose some. Apple was limited to one carrier even though they had the freedom to update iOS.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Please don't get mgarcia started unless you don't mind reading 17 paragraph replies. XD

Sent from my htc Surround using Board Express

BRB, installing the fourth iOS update on my iPad since I've purchased my Focus.

edit: LOL that one was only 8 sentences, is that too much for you? :)

Don't worry guys this is one of the "WP7 Hypocrites" I was talking about in other threads, claims to looove WP7 but, look at this post... I know some of this MIGHT be true but he refuses to look on the bright side. pessimist

I guess you could say that the reason my posts aren't sugar coated is because it's sickening seeing the amount of optimism displayed by WP7 lovers in the face of Microsoft essentially laughing at their (our) past and present misfortune and fear of the future. The percentage of people on this website that take blatant lies and miscommunication from a company they support and just brush it off is really, really weird to me. I can't say I see this from any other manufacturer's fanbase.. maybe WebOS a little? LOL

Last edited:

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The argument of "buy this phone based on the features it has today, not eh features the company says it will have tomorrow" is a bit flawed. The flaw is that today the phones come very barebones out of the box, connected apps are all the rage, and APIs controlled by the company are what govern which apps will and will not work.

For example: Shazaam does not work on webOS because Palm didn's allow apps access to the mic. They promised this access a long long time ago, but now will never delivered this Pre/Pixi phones. Yet Shazaam had every intention of releasing their app on webOS the entire time.

Similar problems prevent Pandora from running on WP7 today, but API enhancements are promised. So what am I to believe? Will I or will I not be able to use Pandora?

I'm not looking for any answers here I suppose, just venting. Either way, these considerations are why it is very difficult to evaluate a device based on how it is today.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The argument of "buy this phone based on the features it has today, not eh features the company says it will have tomorrow" is a bit flawed. The flaw is that today the phones come very barebones out of the box, connected apps are all the rage, and APIs controlled by the company are what govern which apps will and will not work.

For example: Shazaam does not work on webOS because Palm didn's allow apps access to the mic. They promised this access a long long time ago, but now will never delivered this Pre/Pixi phones. Yet Shazaam had every intention of releasing their app on webOS the entire time.

Similar problems prevent Pandora from running on WP7 today, but API enhancements are promised. So what am I to believe? Will I or will I not be able to use Pandora?

I'm not looking for any answers here I suppose, just venting. Either way, these consideration are why it is very difficult to evaluate a device based on how it is today.

I still don't think the argument is flawed. Companies are promising features and didn't deliver. When I bought my phone I knew Skype and Pandora weren't available. They have been promised, but I figured it could be a year later before these apps came out. If phone contracts are only 2 years is it really worth waiting when another device has the features you want?

I hear you. I'm frustrated too although I don't think the grass is greener elsewhere.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not looking for any answers here I suppose, just venting. Either way, these considerations are why it is very difficult to evaluate a device based on how it is today.

That's my point though. If you want a phone that can support Pandora, then you shouldn't be getting a WP7 phone based on the pretense that sometime in the future it *may* get Pandora. Just like if you like to use Shazam a lot (like I do), then WebOS isn't going to be a good phone for you even if it's support is promised in the future.

If the phone doesn't suit you as it is right now, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment regardless of any promises a company (first or third party) makes. You shouldn't just disregard your personal preferences for hopes and dreams, because you will suffer in the current term and most likely suffer in the long terms when the promises don't pan out, or aren't up to your expectations.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but it seems like the only ones who are suffering are the ones complaining. I'm happy with my focus. I've been using it since Nov 8th and I have not had any problems that prevent me from my day to day usage. Its not about promises and miscommunication from M$. Its about does the phone meet your needs. Bugs that are affecting the way you use the phone, I can see you voicing that. But how many times can you complain about it? Eventually they will get fixed. Missing features? Well, I have lived without most of them for 5 months now and it still has not prevented me from using the phone day to day.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Who says it will be fixed eventually. Hell they may KIN the OS. If they say they are going to do something, then do it. I
Yeah, but it seems like the only ones who are suffering are the ones complaining. I'm happy with my focus. I've been using it since Nov 8th and I have not had any problems that prevent me from my day to day usage. Its not about promises and miscommunication from M$. Its about does the phone meet your needs. Bugs that are affecting the way you use the phone, I can see you voicing that. But how many times can you complain about it? Eventually they will get fixed. Missing features? Well, I have lived without most of them for 5 months now and it still has not prevented me from using the phone day to day.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Who says it will be fixed eventually. Hell they may KIN the OS. If they say they are going to do something, then do it. I

Haha I doubt they'd Kin the OS, but sales might influence how WP8 looks and behaves. I'm hoping the Metro style sticks around. It's sleek and easy to use.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

What is preventing Pandora from running on WP7? Where did you read that? Last.fm and Slacker are the same type of service, so I am having trouble buying that one.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
mgarcia.
you can't compare Apples to Mango's LOL

BRB, installing the fourth iOS update on my iPad since I've purchased my Focus.

edit: LOL that one was only 8 sentences, is that too much for you? :)

I guess you could say that the reason my posts aren't sugar coated is because it's sickening seeing the amount of optimism displayed by WP7 lovers in the face of Microsoft essentially laughing at their (our) past and present misfortune and fear of the future. The percentage of people on this website that take blatant lies and miscommunication from a company they support and just brush it off is really, really weird to me. I can't say I see this from any other manufacturer's fanbase.. maybe WebOS a little? LOL

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
What is preventing Pandora from running on WP7? Where did you read that? Last.fm and Slacker are the same type of service, so I am having trouble buying that one.

3rd party music services are pretty worthless to me right now without the ability for them to play music after leaving the app.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
3rd party music services are pretty worthless to me right now without the ability for them to play music after leaving the app.

Was always the pain in the *** for me with Last.fm on-the-go. Gave up with third party services and went with Zune - seems alright apart from Windows Phone Connecter not copying downloaded tracks from the phone to my MacBook.

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

WP7's API does not allow apps access to independent sockets. Apps can only connect to http and https servers right now. Pandora uses a different socket (and most likely ports other than 80 as well). This is also why chat protocols like gtalk and skype don't yet natively work either.

There is a workaround, one could setup a proxy server to forward http connections from wp7 to the right connection (whatever that may be). This is what the folks making the Flory app are doing; it explains why a Flory account is required to sign into gchat using their app.

The only explanation I can think of for why Last.fm and Slacker both work is that they both support streaming music over http or https, which Pandora does not.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
WP7's API does not allow apps access to independent sockets. Apps can only connect to http and https servers right now. Pandora uses a different socket (and most likely ports other than 80 as well). This is also why chat protocols like gtalk and skype don't yet natively work either.

There is a workaround, one could setup a proxy server to forward http connections from wp7 to the right connection (whatever that may be). This is what the folks making the Flory app are doing; it explains why a Flory account is required to sign into gchat using their app.

The only explanation I can think of for why Last.fm and Slacker both work is that they both support streaming music over http or https, which Pandora does not.

Interesting. I thought it was purely Pandora's decision not to support the platform at this time since MS specifically touted Pandora as a launch app when there was no deal made. Weird that they would advertise the app if the platform can't even support the technology.

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I thought it was purely Pandora's decision not to support the platform at this time since MS specifically touted Pandora as a launch app when there was no deal made. Weird that they would advertise the app if the platform can't even support the technology.

There are hundreds of reasons that could explain why that deal fell apart. Maybe Pandora was not willing to re-engineer their services to work with http. Maybe MS initially was planning to allow connections to other sockets, but then was unable to deliver in time. Maybe MS was going to make an exception for Pandora but then changed their mind. Maybe someone got the other guy the wrong type of coffee during contract negotiations.

I do hope this limitation is settled during the mango update, so that native chat clients can properly function, we well as Pandora.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Heh, I came to WP7 from Symbian, so I'm certainly used to delays.

In honesty, aside from wanting Copy and Paste for my app as it will encourage more use, I'm still happy with user experience enough to not mind waiting for updates. I bought into the OS for what it was at the time of purchase, not for what it would become.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love the Metro feel too. I'm glad MS said something on the missed update dates. I could give a hoot about cut and paste (until I really need it, LOL), I'm just wanting to see that they can deliver update in a timely manner, unlike the way Window Mobile was screwed up. So far, they have failed with a big fat red F. But I'll stick around, mainly because I'm still under contract until Jan. 2012. LOL.
Haha I doubt they'd Kin the OS, but sales might influence how WP8 looks and behaves. I'm hoping the Metro style sticks around. It's sleek and easy to use.

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
i posted it on another thread and said exactly that: "buy the phone for what it is today, not what it will be."

IMO, starting to regret the windows phone purchase, or maybe i'm just tired of it because nothing seems to updatedly-impress me. it's been how many months, like 6? there still are no decent cases or screen protectors for the focus (i've wasted $60 trying), no one has addressed the SD card issue (though mine works, luckily), there are like 3 free apps worth using and like 4 PAID apps worth buying (so i don't buy any at all anymore or even search and try any for that matter), and lastly, the update that was supposed to come at the beginning of the year is being pushed *LIKELY* to Q2 or beyond.

why anyone would buy WP7 and not make note of the above situations is pretty ludicrous IMO.

to note, the #1 biggest problem with the WP7 for me and probably 90% of people that came from the iphone, is that the apps really, really suck in comparison, and cost a lot more (to find out they suck).

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
What are you looking for with a case? I bought this and I like it. I don't think it's ugly but it seems to offer good protection and holds my Focus well.

I've ordered some screen protectors but I am only getting them today, so I can't comment on how well they work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo