so MS finally talks and says nothing.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You're right, I should have waited for Rev. B. Maybe I'll just switch to Sprint so I can have NoDo since MS has no sense of urgency to get it out to the people that have been suffering through .7004 since launch. It's real sweet of them.

@PeteC - http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-focus/176826-slow-keyboard.html

If anyone else needs me to, let me know and I'll gladly link you to threads or blog posts on this very website in reference to any of the issues I stated. If you'd rather I didn't, the search button is at the top right of the page. There's nothing in that list that other people aren't complaining about... and the sad part is, that doesn't even involve my biggest issue with Microsoft's ecosystem, which is their astoundingly horrible practices and policies regarding how devices get linked to your Live ID and how everytime you do a wipe of your device, it shows up as a new (added) device to your Live (Xbox/Zune) account... but that's for another thread entirely.

This is my 2nd Focus, I've used a Quantum for a week, and tested all of these on an HD7. It's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue.

You can stop telling me to take it back to get an Android phone. I've already had two of them. Android is horrible. I'm stick of Apple's ecosystem. I'm scared of what HP plans to do with WebOS, and I don't trust RIM since they're confused about what they want to do with their OS. I really don't think I'm asking too much when I say that the only thing I want is a WP7 phone that behaves the way it's supposed to, and it's something that Microsoft can't figure out how to do.. but then again, why would they when their fanbase is ignorant to the mountain of issues and bugs with the OS, which keeps growing daily. I'm thinking about putting this paragraph in my signature, I'm getting tired of typing it out.

Thanks for reading! :D

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung Focus and it was rock solid and the camera was awsome 10x better than the dell venue so it looks like you have a bad device

You can get excellent results out of that camera it with good lighting. The camera quality is echoed in every review I have read of the Focus as well. The flash ruins shots in my experience, so low light is not going to happen, but that said I pretty much hate using a flash even on most point-and-shoot cameras. Literally my only gripe about the camera is that you can't save your settings. This is pretty ridiculous actually considering that the camera is pretty tweakable. It's too bad they don't open the camera API for 3rd party apps like Apple does. This would allow for a great camera app to come along and save our settings.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You're right, I should have waited for Rev. B. Maybe I'll just switch to Sprint so I can have NoDo since MS has no sense of urgency to get it out to the people that have been suffering through .7004 since launch. It's real sweet of them.

@PeteC - http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-focus/176826-slow-keyboard.html

If anyone else needs me to, let me know and I'll gladly link you to threads or blog posts on this very website in reference to any of the issues I stated. If you'd rather I didn't, the search button is at the top right of the page. There's nothing in that list that other people aren't complaining about... and the sad part is, that doesn't even involve my biggest issue with Microsoft's ecosystem, which is their astoundingly horrible practices and policies regarding how devices get linked to your Live ID and how everytime you do a wipe of your device, it shows up as a new (added) device to your Live (Xbox/Zune) account... but that's for another thread entirely.

This is my 2nd Focus, I've used a Quantum for a week, and tested all of these on an HD7. It's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue.

That is really weird about the virtual keyboard because I have read mostly glowing reviews of it before I bought my device. I honestly love the keyboard. While it may be a software issue, it might be due to installing loads of apps or something else...perhaps using the device over a long period of time and things start to crop up. Maybe in a few months the thing will start lagging up on me as well like an old installation of Windows running on a fragmented hard disk. I can't say as I have only had my Focus for just over a month. No Zune music skipping (even with music purchased from the phone), no screen lock issues, no Xbox Live crashes, no crashes really at all except for marketplace. iOS apps crashed far, far more often though they were higher overall in quality to those released so far on WP7 (Amazon being an exception...that is what all WP7 apps should be like).

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't have any of the issues mentioned on that list, I own an HD7 on T-Mobile. The only issue I cannot verify through my device is the Zune pass issue since I own all my favorite music (which is a pretty substantial collection) and to discover new music I like using last.fm or any other online radio app like it. The keyboard love the freakin keyboard it NEVER lags even when intentionally trying to slow it down by typing like I'm on speed+crack+crystal meth at the same time while knowing our planets deadline was tomorrow and I had the ability to do something about it with my phone lol... Still no lag.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
That is really weird about the virtual keyboard because I have read mostly glowing reviews of it before I bought my device. I honestly love the keyboard. While it may be a software issue, it might be due to installing loads of apps or something else...perhaps using the device over a long period of time and things start to crop up. Maybe in a few months the thing will start lagging up on me as well like an old installation of Windows running on a fragmented hard disk. I can't say as I have only had my Focus for just over a month. No Zune music skipping (even with music purchased from the phone), no screen lock issues, no Xbox Live crashes, no crashes really at all except for marketplace. iOS apps crashed far, far more often though they were higher overall in quality to those released so far on WP7 (Amazon being an exception...that is what all WP7 apps should be like).

Don't get me wrong, like most things about the OS, I absolutely LOVE it 95% of the time. If MS would fix the lag issues that I (and other people) are experiencing, it would easily be the best virtual keyboard on the market.. but that's the story of the OS. Almost everything about the phone is a patch or two away from being the best thing on the market.

As far as the music skipping, it seems to only be music that is being "rented" via the Zune service. It has got to be something to do with the DRM in the Zune software, because all of my previously owned MP3's play smooth as butter.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, like most things about the OS, I absolutely LOVE it 95% of the time. If MS would fix the lag issues that I (and other people) are experiencing, it would easily be the best virtual keyboard on the market.. but that's the story of the OS. Almost everything about the phone is a patch or two away from being the best thing on the market.

As far as the music skipping, it seems to only be music that is being "rented" via the Zune service. It has got to be something to do with the DRM in the Zune software, because all of my previously owned MP3's play smooth as butter.

Ahhh...so it's the Zune Pass downloads that you get each month. Those must be different from the paid versions that cost .99 - 1.29 each. I was thinking that you were supposed to be able to keep those even if you ditched Zune Pass.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It Doesen't sound like you like it 95% of the time its more like 2% I don't think you have said 2 good things about the OS..

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
tech enthusiasts are not enough of the market, if it was then winmo wouldn't have failed. Why are you trying to talk your mom into a phone she doesn't want? Apparently she's smart enough to know that wp7 won't meet her needs. Apparently you didn't realize that for yourself.

That's inflammatory...really.

Tell me......would you seriously be completely satisfied with your phone if it remains COMPLETELY unchanged for 2 years?

HOW IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND!? That somebody, such as myself, would love to go head over heals for WP7 for the UI, Zune, and Xbox Live services at the sacrifice of a plethora of utilities, would demand for WP7 to A. Catch Up (which Microsoft needs to do anyways) B. Complete on the promises that they presented.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That they would continue to reward their customers with additional value through updates. Everyone knows its a give and take, but their languishing.

I mean this OS could be so close to perfect, why are you so okay with mediocrity?

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Unless noted otherwise, I have seen all of the following bugs occur on my Focus, my girlfriend's Quantum, and a coworker's HD7.

Get your terminology right, it seems you don't even know what a 'bug' is becaust most of your list isn't bugs and some aren't even OS-related (which is necessary given that you are using this list to justify your comment that the OS is 'broken').

3. AT&T apps - usually just launchers for AT&T's website

Not an OS issue.

4. Calculator - I guess you got me there.

List filler?

6. Camera - Do I even need to start? What a joke.

Not a bug.

7. Hotmail - One of the better parts of the phone, but horrid multiple folder management, unability to mark spam, no option to auto show pictures, and horrible attachment management

Not a bug.

8. Internet Explorer - slow, bugged, crashes, broken. I've heard some people haven't experienced this. I'm not sure if you're blind or a liar, but either way, good for you. IE has been a scrapheap of garbage on every WP7 device I touch.

You could have very easily been specific about this and qualified your position, but you chose not to. In any case there are websites that can crash pretty much any browser (mobile safari in particular) so being vague like that doesn't give you credibility.

9. Maps - I don't know if this is on Samsung or Microsoft, but it can't find me to save it's life.

Device-specific issue, i don't have that problem, maps work great.

11. Messaging - The single biggest problem I have with messaging is how slow and laggy the virtual keyboard is.

Every now and then there is a bit of lag but only if im typing into a text field while a page is loading, exactly the same as in iOS and Android.

13. Office - I just have one word - Skydrive. Ugh.

Not a bug, feature request.

14. People - Randomly deletes off of my start page. Randomly deletes pictures. No auto update for people feed. Randomly un-links multiple entries. Broken.

Never seen this on my omnia7.

15. Phone - Biggest problem here is that no one seems to be able to make a headset with a microphone that works properly.

Not a bug, probably not even OS-related.

16. Pictures - Eh, looks like that's #2 bug free.. but with the b*ner that Belfiore gets over his pictures hub, this is to be expected. If only everything else worked this smoothly.

List filler?

18. It's almost Q2 2011 and I can't choose my own ringtone.

Again, not a bug.

19. Xbox crashes about 50% of the time I launch it.

Never seen that on my omnia7, xbox always launches with no problems.

20. Finally, Settings - settings is probably the worst one of the bunch, because there aren't any. the sheer, undeniable, mind-blowing LACK of switches and buttons available to us in the settings is frightening.. The settings page makes iOS feel like an open-sourced software. It's bad. Worst part of WP7.

Yet again, not a bug. That sounds like an 'i want more things'.

In all your list of things to justify your claim that WP7 is 'broken' is certainly no more than any other mobile OS.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So, did you just gloss over a bunch of stuff the phone should have anyways just to say he doesn't know the meaning of the word bug or what?

We would like to see some competitive edge to Microsoft here, some aggression.....not just casually humming along like the entire future of computing doesn't depend on it.

Which it DOES by the way.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So, did you just gloss over a bunch of stuff the phone should have anyways just to say he doesn't know the meaning of the word bug or what?

No, i thought it was pretty clear that i specifically pointed out the things that he referred to as 'bugs' are not bugs. There are plenty of features that I would like in the OS, and indeed in any of the mobile OSes, however the lack of them doesn't make it 'broken'.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
No, i thought it was pretty clear that i specifically pointed out the things that he referred to as 'bugs' are not bugs. There are plenty of features that I would like in the OS, and indeed in any of the mobile OSes, however the lack of them doesn't make it 'broken'.

For me personally...I don't even have a phone yet....for reasons I've stated plenty of times.

I can't say whether or not the phone even has bugs. I'm confident enough that I'd enjoy using it that I'm waiting for the Trophy and/or AT&T to move into my area.

But I do know that I will only be buying a device on the assumption that Mango is implemented in some what of a timely manner....hopefully by the end of the year as they've said that they'd like to hit it by. But the more they bundle this update....the less promising it seems that this OS has a lively and long future.

Mango is really, for the most part putting WP7 at feature parity, never mind what Google or Apple adds to their respective OS's come this summer's Google i/o and iPhone 5 launch.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But I do know that I will only be buying a device on the assumption that Mango is implemented in some what of a timely manner....hopefully by the end of the year as they've said that they'd like to hit it by. But the more they bundle this update....the less promising it seems that this OS has a lively and long future.

Remembering this is the first functionality update, i'm sure they want to get it right. It's highly unlikely the same team responsible for developing Mango is being held up by the testing/deployment of this update.
Yes this update is a few weeks late, but that doesn't necessarily mean their whole schedule is thrown off or anything like that.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Remembering this is the first functionality update, i'm sure they want to get it right. It's highly unlikely the same team responsible for developing Mango is being held up by the testing/deployment of this update.
Yes this update is a few weeks late, but that doesn't necessarily mean their whole schedule is thrown off or anything like that.

Microsoft already confirmed this themselves, this delay will not be affecting the release of mango.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I
That they would continue to reward their customers with additional value through updates. Everyone knows its a give and take, but their languishing.

I mean this OS could be so close to perfect, why are you so okay with mediocrity?

Its only been 5 Months. New features are coming.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
hey averry, I'm driving but find the podcast "windows weekly" episode 199 and fast forward to 34 minutes. id copy and paste a link but....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo