so MS finally talks and says nothing.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
RIM has the most secure OS and still releases updates about every two weeks???

Slight exaggeration there, I don't claim any knowledge on the Blackberry OS but I do know that there is a degree of fragmentation, not every device is running the same version of the OS (or is able to upgrade to the same version) which is what Microsoft is trying to do here, a unified OS version across multiple hardware variations, that's never been done before to my knowledge.

kalldrexx

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Summer down, not talking about updates with RIM. If you read the commentary from the hackers, a lot of the security comes from BB's obscure and unknown API, not necessary because its code is secure.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
@Verizon Hopeful, you make some very good points, and trust in storing things like credit card numbers on secure servers is difficult because ultimately they all have flaws (look at the
Heartlands Payment Systems breach from 2008/2009).

My point was that by not having a fragmented platform that's constantly updated, all the testing goes into one build of the OS source, hopefully (in an ideal world of course) providing a more secure/stable release. What I'm saying is that would you rather receive frequent updates as lots of security holes are patched (Android v2.2.2 fixing the rageagainstthecage exploit which was used by the malicious DreamDroid apps) or a slower, steady update stream which should avoid it?

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
What I really want from Microsoft for WP7 is frequent updates, period, regardless of whether they are patching security holes, fixing bugs or adding in basic features that were left out of the initial release. As a consumer, I don't really care that "oh so much testing is required on all platforms and devices" before they can release an update. Microsoft simply needs to figure out a way to provide frequent surgical updates for which an avalanche of potential side effects don't have to be tested. No excuses. It's 2011. It's time for Microsoft to deliver. That's what I want!

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You know...it can't really be ALL that hard.

Seriously.....Android 2.3 came out what, in December? I have a perfectly stable ROM on my Incredible.

It doesn't matter that I had to root the phone, all that matters is that a few people took one ROM, and made it usable on one Phone. Microsoft has virtually the same ROM's on all of their phones, it should be pretty simple for them to test it and implement it.

There's obviously a multiple layered fail going on here, no doubt in my mind.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys I have officially just received some very very annoyingly sh!tty info, and mgarcia I am truly sorry for sh!tting on your case all the time as I am officially now almost completely doubting Microsoft and the future of this OS. Now while I cannot divulge specifics WP7 lovers are gonna read what I'm about to say and dismiss it as trying to start rumors, however I am a WP7 lover myself and particularly really disliked mgarcia for hating on it, and I am very very stubborn, so for me to apologize to him should be enough proof to all of you if not, then quite frankly I could care less whether you believe me or not. Okay for the juicy bit. I have a friend that works in the higher ups at a particular carrier that's gonna receive a particular windows phone 7 device very soon... and while having a conversation with him about windows phone 7, he had told me that Microsoft will not be releasing NoDo until after this device has released. (*cough* march 21st *cough*) so lets chalk one up to capitalism for Microsoft! Again sorry for ragging on you so much mgarcia.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i dont get why they would wait for one device to be released for them to send out NoDo.

Capitalism. As I'm sure you know it's formal definition, you should maybe read up on how it has fu?ked this country's people over and over. If it were trivial matters with non necessities like cars and TV, it wouldn't matter too much, but its happening with every product that has the potential of making money. Unfortunately even the necessities such as health care and various types of insurance, when a company sees a condition that might be liable to lose them money they take measures to ensure that they dont lose it, or alternatively they see an opportunity for money they take every measure to ensure they can get a piece of it. Including paying a software company to hold an update back for present devices so that the new device coming can achieve maximum sales as it has the "latest" software.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You should quit moving into weird economic/political rants if you don't to start really weird arguments.

And your XBox Avatar looks like a snarky MBA.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Silly conclusion. What user, with an existing contract with another carrier, and a less than six month old device, is going to switch carriers and get a new device because they may have to wait up to a month for said update. Even without an existing contract is simply illogical. Now if you said Microsoft was holding back the update so that Sprint, and maybe Verizon could have their "day in the sun" when they release their devices and ensure front page press coverage instead of NoDo comments then I would say takes sense. Same reason Verizon held back their WP7 launch (presumably) to give their iPhone4 launch time to play out. That's just good business sense. I would be surprised if they didn't play it out that way.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You should quit moving into weird economic/political rants if you don't to start really weird arguments.

And your XBox Avatar looks like a snarky MBA.

The capitalism thing is something I always jokingly refer to when something goes wrong. I do feel it has a lot to do with a bunch of bull**** going on today but that's a different story for a different forum. I really have no clue why Microsoft would do something like that but hey that's them and I'm just as pissed as any other WP7 ******. As for why you brought my avatar into this just goes to show how quickly you become judgmental when you get angry or even slightly angry/annoyed.

chnkfc

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
That's just not true. I had a BlackBerry bold for about a year that NEVER got any type of update.

Rim did send out updates often,i mean they sometimes wouldnt be from your carrier but they still work for your device as long as they were for the right phone.

I'm over all these rumors,the NoDo update or any update will come when they come.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you, OP (postscript included). Suffice it to say, Microsoft's handling of the updates is unacceptable and worrisome. Yes, I can try to comfort myself by repeating trite things like "they're in it for the long haul", etc. but I'm concerned that either they 1) just don't get it and/or 2) they're hindered by their corporate culture. Yes, I don't want them to push an update that breaks phones but it's perfectly reasonable to expect that bug fixes would have come a long time ago, that NoDo would have been delivered in a timely and transparent manner and that NoDo would address more issues. I'll be so happy if this debacle just turns out to be a case of them getting their sea legs and not the beginning of a larger pattern of oopswedidn'tdoitagain.

(Of course, even though I just called Microsoft's actions (or lack thereof) unacceptable, I will accept them because I have no other choice. I'm a refugee from Windows Mobile, a supporter of several Microsoft products (Windows Live, Zune, Windows Media Center, Xbox, Office) and a prisoner of a two year contract. As much as I complain, I'm not going anywhere and I still strongly believe in the potential of the platform.)

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The capitalism thing is something I always jokingly refer to when something goes wrong. I do feel it has a lot to do with a bunch of bull**** going on today but that's a different story for a different forum. I really have no clue why Microsoft would do something like that but hey that's them and I'm just as pissed as any other WP7 ******. As for why you brought my avatar into this just goes to show how quickly you become judgmental when you get angry or even slightly angry/annoyed.

That depends on whether or not you think I A. I think being Snarky is bad, or B. I think have a MBA is bad.

You just made a couple of really weird rants so I was poking at you.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I am so tired of WP7, I?m rapidly losing interest and I don?t even have a WP7 phone yet (thanks to Microsoft?s exclusion of Verizon and Sprint from the rollout). All of this ado over an update that seems to contain very little in the way of substantive, user-oriented fixes. All Microsoft ever talks about for NoDo is ?copy and paste? capability, ?better Marketplace search? and ?other key improvements?. Does anyone really consider these trivial fixes to be worth a wait of six months after the rollout of WP7? Really??

I looked over the 143 comments to the referenced Windows Phone Blog post. The majority of comments reflect great dissatisfaction with Microsoft for the way they?ve handled the update issue in particular and WP7 in general. I don?t blame them. My favorite is the issue I?ve been mentioning for a while now in these forums, where Microsoft made a great point of saying, "Delivering regular updates to your phone is a key part of our innovation plans." If that?s a key part of their innovation plans, it?s clear based on actual performance that those plans have been shelved and Microsoft will NOT be innovating.

So, I agree with OP @mgarcia that the post was too little too late and essentially pointless. Unfortunately, I think I?ll be using my Touch Pro 2 for a long time to come.

If you are tired of waiting, then move on. No one is forcing your hand. You have tons of options. I wouldn't listen to mgarcia...he is posion. I see him as a complainer and he is probably never satisfied with anything.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
RIM has the most secure OS and still releases updates about every two weeks???

So you use RIM? It seems to me that RIM meets your update release schedule that you want. So use your blackberry and don't worry about WP7. Then you should sleep better at night. Then you don't have to worry about what M$ is doing with their update cycle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos