03-24-2011 05:57 PM
93 ... 234
tools
    You missed what I said slightly, if you press the start button the app is still tombstoned, and will resume to where it left off if you press the back button (not launch it again).
    That was my meaning of "going back" if you press the back button and resume the app, developers can use the IsolatedStorage State memory to repopulate fields etc. The app is very much dead, but it saved it's work before being killed and can be resumed to re-load all of that work.

If the NoDo update is bringing tombstoning whereby clicking on an app to re-launch it rather than having to press the back button will resume state, then this wasn't in the developer tools NoDo update, as the Emulator still behaves the same way as vanilla WP7

Yeah I almost forgot about the "back" button. Hmm... Interesting point on the dev tools.
    03-23-2011 08:05 AM
    Yeah I almost forgot about the "back" button. Hmm... Interesting point on the dev tools.
    I believe that based on the communications from MS, Mango will bring about the app's resuming through re-launch without having to press the back button, but I'm not certain.

Personally that can't come fast enough as it's a much simpler way for most users to interact with the phone, I like the linear navigation model but not every user is going to get it.
    03-23-2011 08:30 AM
    Microsoft said that all carriers need to test software updates before you can put it on their networks, and he said all manufactures with no exceptions.. ???
    with that said when apple releases an update I don't believe that they need to go through the same process..
    03-23-2011 11:27 AM
    Microsoft said that all carriers need to test software updates before you can put it on their networks, and he said all manufactures with no exceptions.. ???
    with that said when apple releases an update I don't believe that they need to go through the same process..
    yes they do.. they just release it in a manner where it wont brick your device .. and when its ready for all devices then it goes out.. apple puts updqates out once every 6-8-12 months.. so they have a lot of time to work with the ONE ... now 2 Carriers..... where as wp7 and android.. have 2 or 3 three carriers to deal with.. all with finicky time frames.. att and verizon being the worst of the bunch.. sprint is the best when it comes to updates
    03-23-2011 11:54 AM
    yes they do.. they just release it in a manner where it wont brick your device .. and when its ready for all devices then it goes out.. apple puts updqates out once every 6-8-12 months.. so they have a lot of time to work with the ONE ... now 2 Carriers..... where as wp7 and android.. have 2 or 3 three carriers to deal with.. all with finicky time frames.. att and verizon being the worst of the bunch.. sprint is the best when it comes to updates
    Apple has carriers in France, UK, Japan, Australia, maybe more countries. They have a lot more than 2 carriers to deal with and yet manage to get their updates out to all their users at the same time. And since the launch of WP7 they have released several updates, far from the once every 6 months you claim.
    03-23-2011 01:50 PM
    im talking us... us carriers are slow as mollasses in horse manuer.. europe is generally very good at updates
    03-23-2011 02:04 PM
    Tombstoning support?
    I know what tombstoning is, what I was referring to is that Engadget claims that NoDo included enchanced tombstoning support and I don't recall reading anything about tombstoning changing at all with NoDo.

apple puts updqates out once every 6-8-12 months..
    Just so we're clear, you are aware that since WP7 was launched in the US, Apple has sent out 6 iOS updates, and have another one going out next week?
    03-23-2011 07:07 PM
    I know what tombstoning is, what I was referring to is that Engadget claims that NoDo included enchanced tombstoning support and I don't recall reading anything about tombstoning changing at all with NoDo.

Just so we're clear, you are aware that since WP7 was launched in the US, Apple has sent out 6 iOS updates, and have another one going out next week?
    Right...he's thinking the major changes from like iPhone OS 1 to 2 to 3 to iOS 4 and so forth.

But since the iPhone 4 came out there's been quite a few slight changes and bug fixes, including adding features like Wifi Hotspot among other things.
    03-23-2011 07:11 PM
    Right...he's thinking the major changes from like iPhone OS 1 to 2 to 3 to iOS 4 and so forth.

But since the iPhone 4 came out there's been quite a few slight changes and bug fixes, including adding features like Wifi Hotspot among other things.
    To be fair Apple didn't give all the updates to all the phones. If I had a first Gen iPhone I wouldn't get all those updates. Of course all I care about is that I get the updates for the two years I own the phone.
    03-23-2011 07:34 PM
    You know all those updates would get tiring I think. A satisfactory update schedule I feel would be something like once a month...
    03-23-2011 10:33 PM
    Looks like both the February and the March updates are at minimum several weeks out according to the WP7 update page that was just posted (I'd link you, but my phone doesn't do c/p :P). I though the reason NoDo didn't ship back in December was because the carriers couldn't get testing done in that time and Microsoft wanted one universal testing date. Was that even true? Does this mean all updates are going t be super staggered from their original release date? It's seems like getting an unlocked phone next time around is the way to go.
    03-23-2011 11:49 PM
    Looks like both the February and the March updates are at minimum several weeks out according to the WP7 update page that was just posted (I'd link you, but my phone doesn't do c/p :P). I though the reason NoDo didn't ship back in December was because the carriers couldn't get testing done in that time and Microsoft wanted one universal testing date. Was that even true? Does this mean all updates are going t be super staggered from their original release date? It's seems like getting an unlocked phone next time around is the way to go.

Yup, I'm hoping those nifty Nokia WP7's have a channel to buy them directly once they come out.
    03-24-2011 12:56 AM
    Ah my mistake, in which case yeah I've read absolutely nothing about it anywhere and nothing changed in the emulator with the developer update so I'd say Engadget got that very wrong.
    03-24-2011 08:29 AM
    So looking at the roll out chart, the Samsung Focus is in testing stage which means update most likely a few weeks away huh??
    03-24-2011 09:32 AM
    So looking at the roll out chart, the Samsung Focus is in testing stage which means update most likely a few weeks away huh??
    Yeah it appears that way. I have a focus so I'll just have to wait for the update.
    03-24-2011 11:48 AM
    I have a feeling NoDo is already passed testing and is actually at the "when AT&T gets around to it" phase.
    03-24-2011 02:47 PM
    At this point, it could range anywhere from two weeks to seven months away for Focus owners. Don't hold yer breath.
    03-24-2011 03:21 PM
    At this point, it could range anywhere from two weeks to seven months away for Focus owners. Don't hold yer breath.
    I dont think it'll take that long, but it sure as hell ain't "second half of march"
    03-24-2011 05:57 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD