Looking to switch to WP7

Pain

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been a blackberry user for over a year now and I'm looking to switch over to Windows Phone 7. I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can shed light on.

Is there a facebook chat in the people hub??

Is the OS super smooth like I see in the youtube videos?? No framerate issues like I have on my blackberry OS 6.

Will I be able to transfer purchased songs off of itunes on to WP7?? I ask because I have an xbox360 and the console won't play DRM protected songs off. What about movies that I bought off of itunes??

How is the videogame market??? Any emulators like gameboy around yet??

Thanks ahead for all your replies...

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been a blackberry user for over a year now and I'm looking to switch over to Windows Phone 7. I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can shed light on.

Is the OS super smooth like I see in the youtube videos?? No framerate issues like I have on my blackberry OS 6.

Will I be able to transfer purchased songs off of itunes on to WP7?? I ask because I have an xbox360 and the console won't play DRM protected songs off. What about movies that I bought off of itunes??

Thanks ahead for all your replies...

I wish there was Facebook chat, OS is uber smooth, like in the youtube videos, I'm notssure about iTunes music or movies I hate iTunes every iProduct should die, just die. Get Zune software, its just better (you'll need it anyways to sync music n stuff) if you can't get the Zune software because you have a Mac, you got the wrong computer. Emulators won't be possible because they are illegal and won't make it past the screening process. (Unless some complicated licensing agreement is reached) and Xbox Live is the **** on WP7.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

No, not at this stage but there are applications like FIM that support facebook chat.

Yes it is, very slick.

I think only the non-DRM itunes music/video will be able to work, that's kind of the point of DRM.

There are a lot of great games in the marketplace, some really great xbox live ones too. As for emulators they are a pretty contentious issue (legally) so im not sure when/if such stuff will be available officially. There is a gameboy emulator that i know of (wario's jewel?) but im not sure on how it's available.

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Focus. I know it's kind of a step backwards hardware wise, but wow is Windows Phone 7 super. I think the thing that finally did it for me was the iOS notification system. That's uber irritating.

gator

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't

Going back to Iphone until Wp7 get's their act together. I just installed an app from the marketplace using my laptop, and it's nowhere to be found on my phone. Tried getting it directly from the marketplace on my phone and the same error "Can't get this right now. Check back in a little while" pops up as usual!!! Bye Bye, I will check back when they have their crap together!!

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I wish there was Facebook chat, OS is uber smooth, like in the youtube videos, I'm notssure about iTunes music or movies I hate iTunes every iProduct should die, just die. Get Zune software, its just better (you'll need it anyways to sync music n stuff) if you can't get the Zune software because you have a Mac, you got the wrong computer. Emulators won't be possible because they are illegal and won't make it past the screening process. (Unless some complicated licensing agreement is reached) and Xbox Live is the **** on WP7.

I'm sorry but you can't say 'Macs' are wrong computers. If you have an OS X system (I am one of those) then you can simply use the Windows Phone 7 Connecter, yes we actually have OS X native software to sync WP7 devices. Go figure before bashing an OS because you will end up offending people. I don't say squat about Windows, I expect you to keep stumped about OS X.

iTunes is perfectly fine for music, the WP7 Connector syncs playlists etc. straight to the device, and you don't have to use the iTunes store, you can simply import all your music that you purchase off Amazon etc.

Ps. Welcome to the forums Pain :)

Reactions: VernonEL

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Focus. I know it's kind of a step backwards hardware wise, but wow is Windows Phone 7 super. I think the thing that finally did it for me was the iOS notification system. That's uber irritating.

I have not experienced iOS, so I'm wondering, besides the FFC, what is it you mean by the Focus being a step backwards?

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but you can't say 'Macs' are wrong computers. If you have an OS X system (I am one of those) then you can simply use the Windows Phone 7 Connecter, yes we actually have OS X native software to sync WP7 devices. Go figure before bashing an OS because you will end up offending people. I don't say squat about Windows, I expect you to keep stumped about OS X.

iTunes is perfectly fine for music, the WP7 Connector syncs playlists etc. straight to the device, and you don't have to use the iTunes store, you can simply import all your music that you purchase off Amazon etc.

Ps. Welcome to the forums Pain :)

Whoa whoa hey hey relax! Relax! I know you can't effectively read sarcasm but I thought that much of it would only be obvious. I read somewhere, we really need a universal smiley for sarcasm. Now I'm not gonna let you or sarcasm stifle my voice though I do hate iProducts and do wish they could die, well not the products, that would be a competitionless market which would probably suck, Apple products work well, what I don't like is that stupid idiot at the helm, and how unbelievably far he has his head up his own ***. I remember hearing part of his iPad 2 speech saying that "even though this is more about evolution than revolution, it doesn't matter because competitiors haven't even caught up to iPad 1 yet". That's the stupidest statement ever... Given that the OS on the iPad is effectively just the iPhone OS stretched out, it is far inferior (both iterations) to the Xoom, and that's that I dont even like Android that much, but honeycomb is at least a TRUE tablet OS. Even iOS itself, compared to what smartphones do and how they work nowadays with different structure and such like the widgets on Android the live tiles on WP7, making the stupid static icon, app-centric model of iPhone, is becoming old, and could now be technically considered a glorified feature phone I think. Meh to each there own, like I said Apple products work, and that's more than enough to ask for, but, not for me.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Whoa whoa hey hey relax! Relax! I know you can't effectively read sarcasm but I thought that much of it would only be obvious. I read somewhere, we really need a universal smiley for sarcasm. Now I'm not gonna let you or sarcasm stifle my voice though I do hate iProducts and do wish they could die, well not the products, that would be a competitionless market which would probably suck, Apple products work well, what I don't like is that stupid idiot at the helm, and how unbelievably far he has his head up his own ***. I remember hearing part of his iPad 2 speech saying that "even though this is more about evolution than revolution, it doesn't matter because competitiors haven't even caught up to iPad 1 yet". That's the stupidest statement ever... Given that the OS on the iPad is effectively just the iPhone OS stretched out, it is far inferior (both iterations) to the Xoom, and that's that I dont even like Android that much, but honeycomb is at least a TRUE tablet OS. Even iOS itself, compared to what smartphones do and how they work nowadays with different structure and such like the widgets on Android the live tiles on WP7, making the stupid static icon, app-centric model of iPhone, is becoming old, and could now be technically considered a glorified feature phone I think. Meh to each there own, like I said Apple products work, and that's more than enough to ask for, but, not for me.

I'm not a fan of iProducts either, but I don't agree with how you stated that.

I do however agree 100% about how we need a universal smiley for sarcasm.

JMHO

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You should consider getting a Zune Pass if you do make the switch. It's fun waking up Tuesday morning (day CDs are released) and seeing all the new releases on the front page of the phone's marketplace. You can stream them or just download to the phone all without worrying about $$$.

The OS is super smooth, all my friends say it's super flashy compared to the other phones out there.

You probably want to go Android if you're looking for emulators. There's no way to really side load apps on WP7, so I can't see emulators coming about. Gaming wise XBL games on the phone are probably the best games you're going to find out there.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
As a previous BB user myself, I'll give you my opinion of WP7 so far.

Pros:
1) The UI is fast, smooth, and ultra responsive (better than the android devices I've used)
2) The apps so far have been of a much higher quality (graphics and sounds) than those you can get on a BB.
3) Netflix on my phone! (can't do this with Android yet)
4) Internet browsing is so much better than BB. Pages load much faster even though the data connection isn't any faster. Feels like an iphone or android browsing experience, and zooming/scrolling is very smooth (smoother than android probably).

Cons:
1) Very lacking on notification customization compared to BB. I can't find a way to have my phone ring for calls and vibrate for e-mails under the same settings. To have e-mails vibrate, you have to have the "Ringer" set to off. I miss how on my BB I could have my calls vibrate first, then lead into a ringtone (an mp3 actually, but that's coming hopefully), and my e-mails and BBM messages would only vibrate.
2) No "Bedside mode". My BB was my alarm clock, and I had it set so that when it was charging it would only ring for calls, and do nothing for messages/e-mails. I miss this (and my charging dock). I can still use my Windows phone as an alarm clock, and it actually has a very nice alarm setup, and there are apps to keep the display on and display a dim clock like the BB default clock, it's just missing the bedside mode notification settings.
3) No copy & paste. I actually could have used this the other night when I wanted to save some contents of an e-mail to One Note, but couldn't find any way to do it, but this won't be an issue if you get a phone with NoDo pre-installed.
4) Marketplace crashing bug (seems like after browsing the marketplace for a few minutes, it slows down and then eventually hangs). Going back to the home screen will get you out of it, but you won't be able to go back to the Marketplace without rebooting the phone. Like the Copy&Paste con, if you get a phone with NoDo pre-installed, this may not even be an issue.

Those are the things I have to say about the OS specifically. I have some other pros and cons I would list, but they are phone specific. The lack of multitasking hasn't really bothered me, except for when I'm listening to Slacker Radio and want to check the e-mail I just received. It will kill the song you are listening to, and start the station back up when you resume Slacker (playing a different song).

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of iProducts either, but I don't agree with how you stated that.

I do however agree 100% about how we need a universal smiley for sarcasm.

JMHO

Well to each his own man to each his own. That's my honest opinion on the subject known as "Apple" and their iSh!t

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

I am by no means "a gamer" but even though I was already expecting great things with the WP7's X-Box Live, I was pleasantly blown away. I feel they are great. So far I have only tried Deer Hunder 3D, Rise of Glory, Fruit Ninja, Tetris, and Project Sunburst. I've been impressed with all, and have enjoyed all but Sunburst so far. This is probably because I just don't really understand it yet. I would say that XPL is definately one of the best features of WP7, and actually could be considered one of the best implemented. I am impressed with the lack of bugs so far.

Pain

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am super impressed and stoked about the switch. I really like the smooth graphics and the very easy in and out experience of Windows Phone 7. Office mobile looks promising as well. The only thing that's gonna be annoying is converting all my itunes songs to mp3. I have over 140 purchased songs songs. Maybe I'll be able to sync them like I do with the Blackberry Desktop Manager. Once this is done I'll just buy songs from Zune I guess.

I also want to be more organized in the future. Right now I'm using a blackberry phone, windows xp laptop, itunes music software, an xbox 360 and an ipod touch. I'm slowly replacing them all with Microsoft only products but its gonna take time.

So here's what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna try and duke it out with this Bold 9700 of mine for another 2-3 months. Hopefully a new windows device will get announced by then and the wait turns out to be worth it. I want an actual physical keyboard so other than the LG Quantum there is nothing out there that I'm really interested in. Not even the HTC Arrive which has the tilt and I read that it can get wobbly. If I'm gonna take a dip I want a really good windows phone with a really good display. If however nothing new pops up I'll get the Quantum.

Cheers mates!

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've used webOS, Android, iOS and now WP7. Here is my opinion of WP7 so far:

Pros:
1) Absolutely agree, the UI is very fast, buttery smooth, and responsive. It also has a very cohesive, consistent feel to it that is very lacking in Android. WP7 almost hits the same level of smoothness that iOS does -- that's a major accomplishment for a 1.0 OS and Microsoft deserves high praise for it.
2) The lockscreen shows useful glanceable information. Unless you jailbreak an iPhone, nothing else comes remotely close.
3) Keyboards. I'm using a Quantum, and the physical keyboard is very roomy and responsive. The virtual keyboard in WP7 is outstanding, even slightly better than the iPhone's.
4) Live tiles are a great concept. Only Android gives you something similar with widgets, but WP7's approach is superior IMO. All I really need to know _right now_ is shown: when is my next appointment, are there any new emails or messages, and did I miss any phone calls. Android widgets are usually poorly designed for getting information quickly. webOS has no widgets at all, and you have to jailbreak to get similar functionality on iOS.
5) The WP7 calendar is the best I've used on any mobile OS. It's fast, efficient, doesn't bombard you with extraneous details, has a live tile, and has lockscreen integration. If you live and die by your calendar, you'll completely love WP7.
6) Most of the "must have" apps are already available for WP7. Netflix, Facebook, eBay, Kindle, TuneIn Radio, Twitter, good quality game ports, etc. Unless your app needs are specialized (IT support, for example), the WP7 marketplace compares pretty well to the other mobile OS app stores. (What's with all the "how to tie a tie" apps, though?)
7) The text insertion cursor in WP7 is brilliant. It works intuitively and accurately. I hate the iOS "magnifying glass" method, which doesn't always work very well near the edges of the screen. It's hard to be accurate with webOS and Android. MS nailed this feature. This is the first mobile OS where the insertion cursor is actually usable. It's often faster in all the others to just backspace over mistakes and start over.

Cons:
1) The notification system is good, although webOS is still the benchmark with Android behind that. WP7 notifications don't appear consistently though, especially when using an app. The iOS notification method is too disruptive and primitive, but at least I know I'm going to be interrupted reliably. MS needs to do some tweaking here to make notifications truly reliable.
2) The browser is slow compared to Mobile Safari and webOS. I've seen comparison speed tests between WP7 and iOS, but I can't come close to duplicating those results.
3) Downloading pictures in email is blocked by default, with no obvious setting to change this behavior. You have to manually download embedded images every time; these are not cached as far as I can tell.
4) No tasking integration with Exchange. To be fair, only webOS does this without 3rd party apps, and it isn't very robust anyway. This should be very easy for MS to do and it's a golden opportunity for further meaningful differentiation between WP7 and iOS/Android.
5) No copy & paste. Yes, it's coming and not everyone cares about it, but there really isn't a good excuse for WP7 to be missing this feature in the first place.
6) Minor bugs and hiccups occur from time to time, which is normal for a 1.0 OS. WP7 runs rings around Android in reliability and stability, though. It's almost equal to webOS already. iOS is still the best in this category at this point in time.
7) The camera hardware specified by MS isn't particularly advanced, and yet the camera app and picture quality is inferior to that found in other mobile OSes with similar sensors. I do really like the dedicated camera button. However, the button doesn't seem to consistently launch the camera app on my Quantum. The image processing software needs major improvement to compete with iOS.
8) Can't connect to hidden SSIDs. Wifi connections aren't very quick or robust. Android, iOS and webOS are all better and faster at making and holding wifi connections.

Overall my personal ranking of these OSes would look like this:
#1 - jailbroken iOS (Custom ROMs and overclocking webOS don't make nearly as much a fundamental difference as jailbreaking iOS does.)
#2 - WP7
#3 - iOS
#4 - webOS
#5 - Android

HTH. I think you'll be very pleased with WP7. If you want a mobile OS paradigm that is fundamentally different than Android/iOS/BB, you'll really love the experience. webOS is slightly more elegant, but WP7 definitely beats webOS when it comes to meaningful "right now" productivity.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)