Battery life for users

tekhinator

Mar 25, 2011
tekhdose.com
Hey guys I was wondering if you could tell me hows your experience with the battery life in winphone7. I just want to know about how much of a power consumption the OS might be. Just wondering since I found out HTC Trophy will have a 1300 mAh battery.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
WP7 is reasonably efficient but batteries in most devices could be bit bigger. My Surround is only 1230 mAh and can't make it through a full day without a boost. Mugen makes a 3900 mAh battery and that's a beast. But if someone comes out with a 1800-2000 mAh, which I consider a perfect size, I am all over it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
battery wasn't too horrible, but i did order a spare battery + dock (that also charged the spare battery separately).

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the Arrive which comes with a 1500 and it has the best battery life I have ever seen on a smart phone since my Moto Q. I had the Pre and the Evo before my Arrive and it's pretty amazing how efficiently WP7 manages the battery. I get a full days use with constant usage where as when I had the Pre I would have to have my 2 batteries because mid day it would run dry. (You can expect that the Evo was just overall terrible)

I love being back to only charging my phone when I get home at night, rather than carrying a USB cable in my back pocket. :D

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Thumbs Up!!

I currently have the LG Quantum, which sports a 1500 mAh cell. I have been extremely impressed so far with the life on this smartphone's battery. Especially considering the continued gaming done on it by my daughter! It has easily gone a full 14 hours with moderate to constant use. I would imagine that the performance will drop off slightly with time, but so far I'm impressed.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I usually go through a battery and a half in 16 hours. I have a Focus and have an extra battery that I throw in the change pocket on my jeans every morning. I usually swap 'em out around 5-6PM.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Swapping the battery on the Surround sucks monkey balls, so I have a couple DigiPower USB battery backups. One (1500 mAh) has an AC plug built in and the other (3000mAh) uses a mini USB. I tether with a short 12" mini to micro USB so I can walk around the house while charging. Works for me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Focus and battery life all depends on how much I use the phone. I can probably get 15 hours out of the phone before it shuts off. If I play games I'd say I'll get half that.

tekhinator

Mar 25, 2011
tekhdose.com
Thanks for your replys. When I saw the specs for the HTC Trohpy I was a bit concerned with the 1300mAh battery. I had a pre and the battery life was just horrible and I believe the battery was about the same as the trophys. I just wish manufacturers added a bigger battery in each phone like HTC but I'm I think WinPhone7 has efficient use of the batterys.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replys. When I saw the specs for the HTC Trohpy I was a bit concerned with the 1300mAh battery. I had a pre and the battery life was just horrible and I believe the battery was about the same as the trophys. I just wish manufacturers added a bigger battery in each phone like HTC but I'm I think WinPhone7 has efficient use of the batterys.
i think the biggest issue for manufacturers is getting the smallest form factor possible using the biggest battery they can. i have the pre, atrix, iPhone 4, blackberry 9700 and the focus (wp7) and the pre is just horrible. you would think having wifi-only (no cellular data) would help, but that phone just eats battery life like no other.

out of all my phones, the focus does came in 2nd to last, sadly. i've been getting 15+ hours a day with my atrix and 24+ hours on my 9700 and iPhone 4 before needing a charge.

i don't do any tweaks what so ever to increase battery power. i can actually put my blackberry's brightness to around 10% and not see much difference, but get 2 days worth of battery use.

however, out of all the phones i have and use, the focus comes 2nd place in respect to how crisp the screen is and i guess that's the trade-off. great screen quality, average smartphone battery life.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
i think the biggest issue for manufacturers is getting the smallest form factor possible using the biggest battery they can.

that, and battery technology is moving at a snail's pace while the horsepower in phones is growing faster than the the world population.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
that, and battery technology is moving at a snail's pace while the horsepower in phones is growing faster than the the world population.
i think you're incorrect... a snail is much faster. ha.

but yeah, they are doing dual-cores, improved screens and all these other shenanigans, but haven't done much to try and match those improvements to battery life.

i'm tired of hearing "turn your brightness down to help battery life". when i'm looking at it on TV, they more than likely have it maxed out.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i think you're incorrect... a snail is much faster. ha.

but yeah, they are doing dual-cores, improved screens and all these other shenanigans, but haven't done much to try and match those improvements to battery life.

i'm tired of hearing "turn your brightness down to help battery life". when i'm looking at it on TV, they more than likely have it maxed out.

The thing about battery life technology is that it's super difficult. It hasn't changed not because we aren't working on it. In fact, it's the opposite. Battery technology has been one of the most researched technological fields ever. It's just extremely difficult to contain energy in a convenient way. It's the same reason why electric cars have been neglected, because of their large and expensive batteries. That's changing now, but not by much.

Sadly, if we did discover better methods for capturing energy we wouldn't have an energy problem. Making energy is easy, but keeping it is extremely difficult.

Reactions: cdub66

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with what coaster said. Right now we need to find a better way to capture energy. Lithium ion batteries can only hold so much charge per density. We need to find an equally affordable alternative with higher capacity. I wouldn't mind more research going into faster charging. If I could charge my phone battery to 80 percent capacity in 30 minutes like the Nissan Leaf then that'd be a huge step forward.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I just wish manufacturers added a bigger battery in each phone like HTC but I'm I think WinPhone7 has efficient use of the batterys.

I remember my first smartphone was the Palm OS Samsung i330 back in 2003. It came with a spare battery and the included charger could charge the phone and the spare battery simultaneously! I would love to see that again. When pigs fly, no doubt.

-R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes