Another point of view on updates

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Again...it's more about how everyone felt that this update process was going to be a marked improvement on the execution fo Android updates.

Instead....it ends up getting compared to Android as a last ditch effort to make itself look better.

I mean, it's like he said..this update doesn't affect that many people, nor is it fundamentally that important. But WP7 just NEEDS momentum.

It's the new kid on the block, and WP7 NEEDS to be disruptive. Not just passively covering people's needs. Android was messy, but it was disruptive to Apple's game because it had features that iOS lacked. Microsoft has achieved a great 1.0 product.

But Microsoft's marketing message can't be "it covers all of 80% of people's needs".

So of course it isn't, but when that's what the OS's advocates say on it's favor, or the people on this board tell me "then I guess it isn't for you" it's truly a fail on Microsoft's part.

It should be for everyone.

And until this update process started falling apart, everyone knew all of that, but it seemed safe to assume that Microsoft would catch up in a fairly timely matter, so everyone gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: VernonEL

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
In 12 months this update will long be forgotten but MS needs some positive press to win the perception war. They especially need to win that battle to avoid signs of complacency that give off the impression that they think they are on par with the other market leaders at such a critical time in the life of this nascent OS.

At the end of the day this isn't the big issue that some would make it seem but it could be if they continue to bungle updates and/or don't make updates on a timely basis to shore up the rough edges of this platform which clearly need work.

Last edited:

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
In 12 months this update will long be forgotten but MS needs some positive press to win the perception war.
I really doubt that, since it'll be one of the only two updates we'll have received in those 12 months.

IMO, the easiest way to handle this, from a user POV and a PR POV, would be to stop bundling everything into enormous updates and roll out a single patch or two on a given schedule, something like how Windows handles it. It's just plain disheartening to have had this phone approaching 5 months and I've never once seen an "your phone has an update" flash on the screen.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
We shall see in due time I suppose.

I completely agree with you mgarcia that MS would do well to forego these larger infrequent updates and send the love notes to users on a more frequent if less substantial basis.

Last edited:

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I now regard "Mango" as vaporware and am thinking about taking the loss and switching to Android. There are just too many things I can't do with this phone and all we have is a possible update 6 months to a year from now. MS started out behind and is losing ground, not gaining.

I think Android will prevail because MS and Apple have let their corporate agendas get out of control. Guys, I don't care if Adobe isn't your 'strategic partner'. I need Flash.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I now regard "Mango" as vaporware and am thinking about taking the loss and switching to Android. There are just too many things I can't do with this phone and all we have is a possible update 6 months to a year from now. MS started out behind and is losing ground, not gaining.

I think Android will prevail because MS and Apple have let their corporate agendas get out of control. Guys, I don't care if Adobe isn't your 'strategic partner'. I need Flash.
I still stand by what I feel with how it's entirely personal preference. WP7 might not be for you, Android may take your fancy with having features that the new OS from Microsoft just doesn't have yet. While there are some owners who are considering switching to Android, there are many from Android wishing to switch to WP7. It's all down to what you use the phone for, if you come across constant issues, and if you actually care that updates aren't regular or on time.

I, myself, have no problem with WP7 whatsoever at the moment, I don't need Flash, I don't need C&P, I don't experience a large number of issues that others report on these forums and I'm pleased with the overall entertainment and business use of the device.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
II'm pleased with the overall entertainment and business use of the device.

I like it too. I bought it because of the clean interface. The problem is, I liked it so much I wanted to use it for lots of things. For example, reading eBooks from the local library. Turns out that requires Adobe Digital Editions and Flash, and I'll apparently grow old and die waiting for those on WP7. But my wife's Android can do it today. No Skype either; apparently MS has made the application sandbox too small. No Google Maps. I keep finding more things I can't do.

I was seduced by the beauty and didn't know about the limited functionality. I assumed MS was making a major commitment to WP7 and would be rapidly catching up with Apple and Google. Not so, apparently. The deal with Nokia might have changed the direction at MS, but if so we won't feel it for a year.

As is often the case, I hope to be proven wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire