My experiences on an HD7 coming from Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just moved from Android after 2 years to W7P and I can say that my experience has improved.

few things I saw mentioned in this thread:

screensavers: Wut? Seen all kinds of lock screens and live wallpapers.. but never a screensaver

5-7 home screens: I'm not sure I understand how this is superior to W7P? are we talking tile vs icons or because you need the 5-7 to fit widgets? I always found performance to crash around 3.

ability to root phone: yeah, but you need to... some features aren't available on some phones unless you do. And i'm not talking features added in custom roms I mean stock Android features

overclocking the cpu: eh. I never noticed a huge difference. Always had issues with Kernels anyway. Battery Killer, decreasing hardware life, etc. Android just doesn't feel optimized.

multitasking: This has always been planned for Mango. so moot

Google integration: I think I get what you mean by this I just don't understand what you think the advantages are over W7P. Please explain, I really am curious.

faster web browsing: yeah, maybe so long as you aren't using the stock browser. was running 2.3.3 when I left Android and it was still god awful. Had to use Opera/Dolphin.

I change my roms daily: Yep, killing nand in the name of trying to find what isn't there. I hope you have a JTAG around also... esp for when you have to get spl/radio just right for roms.

ridiculous mod developer support: for Androids ridiculous fragmentation? And its going to get more complicated with 2.3/2.4/tablets plus they will not be releasing the source for honeycomb.

Sloppy list as I do not have much time to write this at the moment. I will probably come back to this as there are plenty more issues that can be identified.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just moved from Android after 2 years to W7P and I can say that my experience has improved.

few things I saw mentioned in this thread:

screensavers: Wut? Seen all kinds of lock screens and live wallpapers.. but never a screensaver

5-7 home screens: I'm not sure I understand how this is superior to W7P? are we talking tile vs icons or because you need the 5-7 to fit widgets? I always found performance to crash around 3.

ability to root phone: yeah, but you need to... some features aren't available on some phones unless you do. And i'm not talking features added in custom roms I mean stock Android features

overclocking the cpu: eh. I never noticed a huge difference. Always had issues with Kernels anyway. Battery Killer, decreasing hardware life, etc. Android just doesn't feel optimized.

multitasking: This has always been planned for Mango. so moot

Google integration: I think I get what you mean by this I just don't understand what you think the advantages are over W7P. Please explain, I really am curious.

faster web browsing: yeah, maybe so long as you aren't using the stock browser. was running 2.3.3 when I left Android and it was still god awful. Had to use Opera/Dolphin.

I change my roms daily: Yep, killing nand in the name of trying to find what isn't there. I hope you have a JTAG around also... esp for when you have to get spl/radio just right for roms.

ridiculous mod developer support: for Androids ridiculous fragmentation? And its going to get more complicated with 2.3/2.4/tablets plus they will not be releasing the source for honeycomb.

Sloppy list as I do not have much time to write this at the moment. I will probably come back to this as there are plenty more issues that can be identified.

As stated, if you like your live tiles and long app list then be my guest but wp7 is garbage. I know lots of you early adopters get butt hurt when you see android and ios getting kick *** devices and crazy customization and you can't even get nodo(talk about sloppy upgrades) but prove me wrong otherwise kill the thread.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
As stated, if you like your live tiles and long app list then be my guest but wp7 is garbage.

It seems you need some help understanding that people have different needs given you're continually posting these rubbish comments and making yourself look stupid. You see if you like live tiles and prefer an app list over an app grid then obviously WP7 is the superior choice.

If you want extensive customization and widgets then obviously WP7 and iOS aren't going to be for you because they aren't designed with that in mind, but the great thing is there is a platform for this, Android.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that not everyone has the same values, wants and needs as you, demonstrated by the fact that you're making comments like 'wp7 is garbage' without basing them on objective facts, instead basing them on your subjective views.

All platforms have their strengths, weaknesses and unique features, this doesn't make any platform overall 'better' or 'garbage', it depends on the individual which - in the case of the OP - valued the benefits of WP7 and was not interested in the benefits of Android.

I can perfectly understand if it's 'not for you', based on what you're saying it seems you have a personal preference for the Android features over the WP7 features, that doesn't make the WP7 features defective in any way, just that the platform doesn't suit your needs, which is why we have 'choice', and that's great, it means people with different preferences can choose a product that suits them rather than all platforms being the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: VernonEL

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
As stated, if you like your live tiles and long app list then be my guest but wp7 is garbage. I know lots of you early adopters get butt hurt when you see android and ios getting kick *** devices and crazy customization and you can't even get nodo(talk about sloppy upgrades) but prove me wrong otherwise kill the thread.

I like what you're doing here, bashing the platform on a WP7 forum to try and provoke as many people as possible. Thing is, the majority of active folk here are mature adults and have continuously risen against your posts with simple shoot-down replies and evidence of your contradictory word usage.

I just have to address the "long app list", as (as far as I'm aware) Android has the exact same feature. Albeit you have the list in [another] grid format, but you certainly have a list of all the apps installed. Difference between WP7 and Android with the app list? We have all our games neatly grouped in Xbox Live hub. Ah yes, because we have true Xbox Live integration, do you? I say this because there are literally millions of gamers who'd certainly be attracted to the OS by this degree of integration with the service.

We aren't actually fussed by Android and iOS devices, IMO the Android tablets are horrible (I'm an iPad 2 owner), I've had 2 Android phones, HTC Hero was nice and the Wildfire was awfully sluggish with your "awesome home screens!" Good thing here with WP7? Hardware requirements, 1Ghz processor etc. and it all runs smoothly on each and every device. Sure, we have some lower-end devices such as the Trophy, but at least they don't have a negative impact on the user experience.

Crazy customisations? Ah, you mean we all laugh and giggle at how we're more than happy with Metro UI, yet you all have to install a Metro UI to get the WP7 look? I'm sure that's what you meant by crazy customisation, right?

NoDo: People already have NoDo, I really don't see your argument here, in fact there is none. I really am gratefully sorry that you have to wait months for your carrier and manufacturer to add bloatware to the ROM updates and still it's more fragmented after each release and while all of us will be running NoDo at some point before Summer, you will have numbers on 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 (or whatever the versions have been).

As for killing the thread? Why? This is a WP7 forum. This is a WP7 discussion thread. This is a discussion about you making yourself look ridiculous by, a) contradicting yourself and b) putting forward unimaginable statements that are either misinformed, untrue, or complete fail. We don't have "fanboys", we have people who are passionate about technology and has adapted to the platform in everyday life. We don't have to go to Android forums and continuously bash the OS, we're happy with Android, it's a clear marker as to where WP7 needs to head and better the competition. We're also happy with iOS for the exact same reason. I really am sorry you're not receiving the "OMG YOU NOOB, AHHH YOUR SUCH A $%!?" responses you dream of, but to be honest, we don't take kind to people who go around forums getting turned on by aggravating members.

I'll leave you with my view of Android in one sentence - fragmented like a Windows 98 machine that hasn't been rebooted in 10 years.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I like what you're doing here, bashing the platform on a WP7 forum to try and provoke as many people as possible. Thing is, the majority of active folk here are mature adults and have continuously risen against your posts with simple shoot-down replies and evidence of your contradictory word usage.

I just have to address the "long app list", as (as far as I'm aware) Android has the exact same feature. Albeit you have the list in [another] grid format, but you certainly have a list of all the apps installed. Difference between WP7 and Android with the app list? We have all our games neatly grouped in Xbox Live hub. Ah yes, because we have true Xbox Live integration, do you? I say this because there are literally millions of gamers who'd certainly be attracted to the OS by this degree of integration with the service.

We aren't actually fussed by Android and iOS devices, IMO the Android tablets are horrible (I'm an iPad 2 owner), I've had 2 Android phones, HTC Hero was nice and the Wildfire was awfully sluggish with your "awesome home screens!" Good thing here with WP7? Hardware requirements, 1Ghz processor etc. and it all runs smoothly on each and every device. Sure, we have some lower-end devices such as the Trophy, but at least they don't have a negative impact on the user experience.

Crazy customisations? Ah, you mean we all laugh and giggle at how we're more than happy with Metro UI, yet you all have to install a Metro UI to get the WP7 look? I'm sure that's what you meant by crazy customisation, right?

NoDo: People already have NoDo, I really don't see your argument here, in fact there is none. I really am gratefully sorry that you have to wait months for your carrier and manufacturer to add bloatware to the ROM updates and still it's more fragmented after each release and while all of us will be running NoDo at some point before Summer, you will have numbers on 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 (or whatever the versions have been).

As for killing the thread? Why? This is a WP7 forum. This is a WP7 discussion thread. This is a discussion about you making yourself look ridiculous by, a) contradicting yourself and b) putting forward unimaginable statements that are either misinformed, untrue, or complete fail. We don't have "fanboys", we have people who are passionate about technology and has adapted to the platform in everyday life. We don't have to go to Android forums and continuously bash the OS, we're happy with Android, it's a clear marker as to where WP7 needs to head and better the competition. We're also happy with iOS for the exact same reason. I really am sorry you're not receiving the "OMG YOU NOOB, AHHH YOUR SUCH A $%!?" responses you dream of, but to be honest, we don't take kind to people who go around forums getting turned on by aggravating members.

I'll leave you with my view of Android in one sentence - fragmented like a Windows 98 machine that hasn't been rebooted in 10 years.

lets just stop feeding the troll IMO.

This argument always defaults back to how Android and iOS are superior because of homescreens and having to root/hack/jailbreak/void warranty/ and risk bricking your device to get the customizations. Also, the tethering, MMS, blah blah.. right.. iOS didnt get any of these things until iOS 3.0 and 4.0 for its wannabe multitasking and Android 1.6 wasnt exactly busting at the seams with features either.

the biggest statement to note here is: "I change my roms daily" this really says it all.

JRDroid

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
the biggest statement to note here is: "I change my roms daily" this really says it all.

lol I agree with that 100%. When I had my Droid I was one of the flash a rom a day people. I thought it was so cool. Then I realized I was doing it because I wasn't happy with the phone. I switched to the My Touch 4G, thinking that having HTC Sense would solve all the problems I had with Android. While it did address my concerns about it being ugly, everything else remained. And anyone who thinks that Android is as smooth as Windows Phone 7 or iOS has never speant an appriciable amount of time with either OS.

And as I stated in my OP (that proves I'm more open minded than our troll), while I feel WP7 is better (subjective) I can definitely see Android being better for some people (just not most).

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who thinks that Android is as smooth as Windows Phone 7 or iOS has never spent an appreciable amount of time with either OS.

100% Agree with this. With the CPU handling everything including the UI, Android is most definitely NOT as responsive as hardware accelerated OS's like WP7 and iOS.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Now lets look at the so called mature adults. You are calling me a troll(which btw is really lame), and your saying I got pwned because I change my roms daily. It's my opinion that wp7 sucks and i'll tell anyone who asks me the same. So you say you can integrate xbl, whoop di do. I change roms everyday because I can. The nodo update has been a disaster whether you Microsoft fans wanna admit it or not. So you say wp7 has no lag, think about it, it has absolutely nothing that could slow it down, its 2 screens. Hey if y'all like wp7 then great but the OS is trash imo like I've said. I tried a focus and a surround and I sold them after 3-4 days of use. It's a boring but clean ui, it just has no growth value imo. I'll stick with my iPhone 4 and inspire.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
lets just stop feeding the troll IMO.

This argument always defaults back to how Android and iOS are superior because of homescreens and having to root/hack/jailbreak/void warranty/ and risk bricking your device to get the customizations. Also, the tethering, MMS, blah blah.. right.. iOS didnt get any of these things until iOS 3.0 and 4.0 for its wannabe multitasking and Android 1.6 wasnt exactly busting at the seams with features either.

Had to reply a canes fan(I'm sorry). So tethering and mms doesn't matter? Ok, your lying. It doesn't matter because you can't do it. Don't get mad at me because the op bashed Android and I responded. Stop catching feelings over something you have no stock in. Y'all are responding like Microsoft really gives a crap about y'all. See I have multiple devices and I'm not loyal to a OS unlike the wp7 loyalists. Stop lying to yourselves, you don't really like wp7, you just are under contract and are now stuck. I tried to tell myself wp7 was good but its boring like it or not. Call me a troll all ya want but I tried wp7, so I'm speaking from experience.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with the updates. With Android, you know what you are getting when you buy the phone because it was a more complete OS. With Windows Phone 7, they said that missing feature would be added since it wasn't there at launch. I bought my Focus fully knowing that MS said directly that certain feature will be added soon, "early march/later in the year" So you can't compare Android updates to WP7 updates.

But I do agree that WP7 OS is superior to Android OS.

Technically, MS said early 2011. So you can't legitimately complain unless a certain phone is still unable to get the update by the end of June. ;)

Just sayin'.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Had to reply a canes fan(I'm sorry). So tethering and mms doesn't matter? Ok, your lying. It doesn't matter because you can't do it. Don't get mad at me because the op bashed Android and I responded. Stop catching feelings over something you have no stock in. Y'all are responding like Microsoft really gives a crap about y'all. See I have multiple devices and I'm not loyal to a OS unlike the wp7 loyalists. Stop lying to yourselves, you don't really like wp7, you just are under contract and are now stuck. I tried to tell myself wp7 was good but its boring like it or not. Call me a troll all ya want but I tried wp7, so I'm speaking from experience.

Stop ignorantly declaring what wp7 owners think. I'm well aware of where wp7 needs to grow, and yet I'm still 100% satisfied with it and prefer using it over Android BY FAR. You call it boring, I call it simple and effective; even elegant. Android on the otherhand is a clunky mess. For anything MS may have done wrong, they did the UI right.

Tethering doesn't matter to me at all. Why should it? I never complained that my iPhones didn't have it. I'd never use it if I had it as the whole point of a smartphone is not having to lug around a laptop. If "most features" was the primary issue, then Windows Mobile would have been a market leader.

My wife has had Android phones... everyone of them has been a piece of crap to use regardless of its "features" - just like WinMo was a piece of crap. Apple understood this and became the industry premium. MS is taking it further. I don't weep for features I rarely if ever used, or would use.

The only thing I miss from my iPhone days are some of the high quality apps. They will come with time.

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Y'all are responding like Microsoft really gives a crap about y'all.

Apparently Microsoft does "give a crap" about us... Microsoft's Eric Hautala apologizes, provides more NoDo info | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

They actually care about more than that too... When Samsung had the firmware issues Microsoft stood by their side to help them out. What about Google hmm... Do no evil huh? Then what's this? Microsoft calls out Google for poor YouTube on Windows Phone | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews and not to mention the horrible slew of lawsuits against the OEMs? Where was Google to back then up? Seems Google dont give a rats a$$ about you.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Apparently Microsoft does "give a crap" about us... Microsoft's Eric Hautala apologizes, provides more NoDo info | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

They actually care about more than that too... When Samsung had the firmware issues Microsoft stood by their side to help them out. What about Google hmm... Do no evil huh? Then what's this? Microsoft calls out Google for poor YouTube on Windows Phone | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews and not to mention the horrible slew of lawsuits against the OEMs? Where was Google to back then up? Seems Google dont give a rats a$$ about you.

Lets not forget when Android was under fire and Microsoft and HTC stepped in to help.

also, this discussion has become pointless, trying to compare a phone with like 3/4 years ahead to a Launch phone... do we really need to list what the iPhone was missing at launch? you know what? lets name a few: no true HD, video recorder, voice dialing, speed dialing, mms, sms forwarding, tethering, vibration mode, wireless contact sync, OTA iTunes store downloads, true multi tasking, audio recording, 3g, file access such as when being plugged into usb, and more

and just for giggles for your "reply" I am not in a contract, tethering doesn't matter. didnt use it when I had android and still dont need it. MMS is okay for me in its current state as I can send pictures. If i really need to send video I know other methods. come back in 2-3 years... the time it took for Apple to get up to speed and then you can resume the diatribe if need be.

***EDIT*** and since people want to brag about how open Android is time for some reading material: http://www.businessinsider.com/google-android-2011-3

Last edited:

Giddygoon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank the OP for the post. I'm coming off of 2 years on Android, and am now considering switching to WP7. It is helpful to hear some opinions (good or bad) about making the switch. After playing with a Samsung Galaxy S 4g and an HTC HD7 at the T-Mo store yesterday, I've come away much more impressed with WP7. Everything was smooth, while there was 'stutter' in navigating the home screens, apps, or in the browser on the Android phone.

I've tried a few ROMs, but feel exactly as it has been pointed out; I'm not satisfied with the stock Android feel and was looking for something better. This wasn't worth the efforts, though. Too much research, and troubleshooting when something wasn't quite right. I'd rather be satisfied with how the phone works from the start.

If I decide to switch, I will miss the custom ringtones. Setting a specific ringtone for a specific caller helps me decide whether the call is important enough to answer at the moment. Such as if the wife calls during her commute to work - time to answer, though if mom calls, I can let it go to voicemail if I'm busy.

The big hesitation is that I use a lot of the Google services. Gmail doesn't sound like a deal-breaker, it is more Voice and Talk. That's what led me here to wpcentral, to see what work-arounds there are.

Everything I've read here only pushes me further into the WP7 direction, even (maybe especially) the Android-touting comments since I know which arguments hold merit or not. So again, thanks for the info!

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
the main reasons why i wouldnt touch a android is the dreadful lag and the cluteriness its always had a little lag with the scrolling and what not especially in the browser but its a fun os i like all the things you can do with its customization. with webos the scrolling is smooth and laggy too, and thats one of my biggest annoyances with the os and thats what attracts me so much to wp7 with the overall performance of the touch scrolling and smoothness its so reminiscent of IOS which is buttery smooth. i know the homebrew/rooting/jailbreaking customization will come soon especially when the nokia phones come out, that type of stuff just takes a passionate community and i like how MS approached the jail breaking situation with open arms. i know wp7 has such a high rate of succeeding and catching up with the competition becuz MS wants to beat ios and android and is putting alot if steam behind it. and to be honest wp7 WILL be the best os in a year or so i believe but now with all the missing features its just not yet there i would say webos is the best and then ios with android coming in last not saying android sucks just not as good as the others maybe ios and android are both second like tied or something lol and also IMO i think webos is what apple wouldve done with ios around this time just to change the os, and android is the perfect os for a tablet..

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay, now I know what I wanted to say. I have used Android, iOS (in the form of the iPad) and now WP7. Simply put, they are all awesome, and all have their pros and cons.

Android - highly customizable, even if you have a locked down carrier that prevents rooting and the like. It's easy to use, with lots of options, and you can set it up according to your own style preferences. The app market is just fine - never been unable to find an app to do what I want. As far as lag goes, I have found that lag is an issue on the lower end Android phones. That is the big difference between Android and iOS or WP7 - iOS and WP7 dictate what hardware they can be run on. Android is shoehorned into phones that have less-than-impressive processors, such as the Hero, Aria, or Flipout. It takes a little common sense running those sorts of phones -avoid widgets, which run in the background constantly, etc.

iOS - I have never used an iPhone, but I do have an iPad and my kids have iPods. iOS is brilliantly simple. I would consider it the smartphone OS in easy-mode. Every iPhone/iPod/iPad is the same, the same set up, the same screens, the same ecosystem. If you've used one, you've used them all. The hardware is top notch, reliable and heavy duty. The only downside is that if you don't like the way it's set up, you have very limited choices for customization, outside of jailbreaking your device. Even then, I jailbroke my iPad once, and it appears that, unlike Android, jailbreaking is not terribly useful unless your purpose is to steal apps. I restored to default.

WP7 - absolutely beautiful. Easy to use, etc. To me, it answers the question, "What if iOS were pretty?". In a lot of ways, it's very similar to iOS in that we are all getting the same experience (or close to) regardless of what phone we are on. The Zune and Xbox integration really fill the bill for me. I find myself pleasantly surprised that I vastly prefer Zune to iTunes. Shocking really how little play it gets, it's really just that nice.

So, as an honest answer to the question at hand, it's all a matter of personal preference. To baldly state that "this one sucks" or "this one is best" is just silly and fanboyish.

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
the main reasons why i wouldnt touch a android is the dreadful lag and the cluteriness its always had a little lag with the scrolling and what not especially in the browser but its a fun os i like all the things you can do with its customization. with webos the scrolling is smooth and laggy too, and thats one of my biggest annoyances with the os and thats what attracts me so much to wp7 with the overall performance of the touch scrolling and smoothness its so reminiscent of IOS which is buttery smooth. i know the homebrew/rooting/jailbreaking customization will come soon especially when the nokia phones come out, that type of stuff just takes a passionate community and i like how MS approached the jail breaking situation with open arms. i know wp7 has such a high rate of succeeding and catching up with the competition becuz MS wants to beat ios and android and is putting alot if steam behind it. and to be honest wp7 WILL be the best os in a year or so i believe but now with all the missing features its just not yet there i would say webos is the best and then ios with android coming in last not saying android sucks just not as good as the others maybe ios and android are both second like tied or something lol and also IMO i think webos is what apple wouldve done with ios around this time just to change the os, and android is the perfect os for a tablet..

Hmm... Some unique views there bro, but at least you're on the boat, agreeing that WP7 is better than Android welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786