New WP7 convert!

RedRooster

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!
Have been lurking for a couple months, finally got my phone so I decided to register.

Had an iPhone 3GS and enjoyed it when I first got it, but its interface and ecosystem was starting to bore me so I took a plunge into the WP7 pool. Man, I can't believe what a great OS this is and how bright its future could be if MS keeps updating it. Soooo smooth and clean. My 3GS went up for sale literally the next day.

Its just an unlocked Telus Optimus 7 on Fido. The second time I checked for updates it found the February one, but I had no luck with it finding Nodo. So I started to set stuff up, screwed up my Contacts with Windows Live so I just did a factory reset to clean that off. It kept the Feb update, but after the reset it found Nodo the very first try with no tricks. So that might be something to try if you think you should be getting it by now and don't mind resetting up all your stuff afterwards. :)

Anyways, just wanted to say Hi, and I'll continue lurking. hehe

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
hello rooster and welcome to WPC. i do agree, wp7 that the future is bright for m$ and the wp7 if they do it right.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Glad you could join us I too am new here...lol well not really but I have only had my Arrive sense Thursday so we can learn this stuff together. Welcome to the WPC enjoy! :)

Later,
Dave

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Glad you like WP7 -- it's a great experience, isn't it? I'm excited about the direction Microsoft is going with it. (I'm still bouncing back and forth, myself.)

sanchke

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. I just got my WP7 Samsung Focus as a prize for selling he most data plans. I really didn't want it at first but as time went on, I grew to like it more and more. I can't wait to finally get the update for it. I've been an Android lover in the past but, when I started using my Focus I have nit looked back since. Windows really did something right this time around.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think MS needs to bite the bullet and give every carrier sales rep a WP phone. Only what they will ever become believers. Welcome to the bright side.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think MS needs to bite the bullet and give every carrier sales rep a WP phone. Only what they will ever become believers. Welcome to the bright side.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
or at least give 1-2 per store because a lot of reps, unless they use it, aren't even pushing wp7. it's either iPhone or Android.

mmuntean

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Features missing

Hy everyone,
You all seem to like this new phone. I also bought for myself a HTC Trophy, but I am very dissapointed because this new OS seems to lack some important features, at least from my opinion:

No Bluetooth OBEX
No File Manager
No GPS turn by turn such as igo,navigon etc
Apps installable only by marketplace (the tool from chevron didn't work for me so I cannot install apps by XAP installer)
No custom ringtones (polyphonic tones I've had 8 years ago on a phone) for calls or anything
no advanced multitasking.

So, my question is what do I use this phone's HW caps for? Gaming? I bought a smartphone no a portable gaming console.
hope microsoft will change this or someone will make an app on marketplace for the file explorer issue and obex

Last edited:

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hy everyone,
You all seem to like this new phone. I also bought for myself a HTC Trophy, but I am very dissapointed because this new OS seems to lack some important features, at least from my opinion:

No Bluetooth OBEX
No File Manager
No GPS turn by turn such as igo,navigon etc
Apps installable only by marketplace (the tool from chevron didn't work for me so I cannot install apps by XAP installer)
No custom ringtones (polyphonic tones I've had 8 years ago on a phone) for calls or anything
no advanced multitasking.

So, my question is what do I use this phone's HW caps for? Gaming? I bought a smartphone no a portable gaming console.
hope microsoft will change this or someone will make an app on marketplace for the file explorer issue and obex

Most of what you listed are by design. Meaning they were left out and probably will be introduced later. Remember, this isn't an upgrade, its a total rewrite. So they had to choose which features mattered the most to the majority of the user base. Most of the things you say are missing really don't matter to the majority of everyday users. Again they made the choice to go to market with what they thought would appeal to the everyday user. Most of the folks that are looking for things like multitasking are power users.
So I hope you will be patient because its going to get alot better.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
Agreed. Most people just don't care about those features. For example, most people, irritatingly, call a wireless headset a "Bluetooth." They don't care about data transfer over the protocol, and quite honestly, bluetooth has never been very good at file transfers, anyway. It's just not fast enough. A USB thumb drive is faster, and requires much less setup.
Most people don't want to manage, in a granular fashion, the files on their phone. They want to sync over music and be done.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Most people just don't care about those features. For example, most people, irritatingly, call a wireless headset a "Bluetooth." They don't care about data transfer over the protocol, and quite honestly, bluetooth has never been very good at file transfers, anyway. It's just not fast enough. A USB thumb drive is faster, and requires much less setup.
Most people don't want to manage, in a granular fashion, the files on their phone. They want to sync over music and be done.

Yeah, very good examples. Also, the powerusers think the they are not being listened to, but I believe Microsoft is listening. But They have a bigger picture in front of them. We need to start looking at the big picture and then we won't be so frustrated at the pace of updates and features.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've narrowed down my list of really critical needs down to three:

(1) The email apps are good, but very basic when it comes to displaying email. Reading email is easier and more pleasant in iOS. I'm not sure that a combined inbox is really necessary, though.

(2) Connecting to and holding onto a wifi signal needs a big improvement in reliability. Maybe it's just my Quantum rather than WP7, but if it can't grab and keep a wifi connection like my iPhone can then I can't justify switching.

(3) Better camera imaging software. 5mp is plenty - the sensor just needs better software. And please save the settings!

Sent from my greenpois0ned iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I've never had a wifi problem with my focus, but I agree with the camera bit. I'd also like to see more apps follow the interface guidelines, but that's neither here nor there.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the email experience on WP7. It's way better than BlackBerry, which is supposed to be known for their email capabilities. And my friend's DroidX is disappointing as well. There's no way to zoom in and out of a message.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo