The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-28-2011 09:25 PM
32 12
tools
    In Ovi maps 3.6 on s^3 you have the ability to download and update loaded maps from within the app, there is no need for a PC anymore to load can now do it OTA via WIFI ;-)
    Not for the N900.

takes me about an hour to get the whole of EU via maploader on PC the maps are quite big so depends alot on you connection at the time.
    EU is smaller than continental U.S.

btw guys Bing maps is already powered by Nokia/Navteq so expect lots new stuff now Nokia have moved there main focus to WP for there primary OS
    Even if Nokia wants to Keep free voice Navigation with pre-loaded maps exclusive to there own handsets, there is nothing stopping them from releasing a paid version for non-Nokia handsets in the Marketplace, i have a suspicion they might just do that for some reason.
    Bing maps is NOT already powered by Nokia yet, unless it is in alpha or beta testing phase.

Michael.
    04-08-2011 02:37 PM
    Not for the N900.

EU is smaller than continental U.S.

Bing maps is NOT already powered by Nokia yet, unless it is in alpha or beta testing phase.

Michael.
    your Wrong b/c Microsoft license most there maps from Navteq for Bing for both desktop and WP which is a Nokia owned company.
    check bottom right corner.
    Bing Maps - driving and transit directions, routes, traffic conditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navteq

European maps are 3.10GB and US is 1.72GB.
    There is many more streets in Europe and more built up areas even though land mass is smaller.

btw i have a N900 ovi maps on it was terrible unless you install the mod that allows lot of the missing features Maemo5 version never got cared much for by Nokia
    Last edited by brainimpact; 04-08-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    04-08-2011 05:49 PM
    your Wrong b/c Microsoft license most there maps from Navteq for Bing for both desktop and WP which is a Nokia owned company.
    check bottom right corner.
    Bing Maps - driving and transit directions, routes, traffic conditions

Navteq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you want to split hairs, then be aware that, that is map data, and that is not the same as "powering", which is the routing and navigation algorithm. That is like saying that Navtech is powering the navigation on my BMW and Porsche. That simply isn't true, the map data is Navtech, but that's it. Becker (Harman-Kardon) is responsible for the software that uses that map data.

And, as far as I know, there are only 2 major map data suppliers, Navtech and TeleAtlas. All the GPS systems TomTom, Garmin, and auto OEM will use either Navtech and TeleAtlas map data, but that's it.

European maps are 3.10GB and US is 1.72GB.
    There is many more streets in Europe and more built up areas even though land mass is smaller.
    The Navtech map data for my BMW is on 2 DVD's, well more than 1.72GB. The Navtech map data for my Porsche is on 8 CD's, also well more than 1.72GB. The map data not only contain road data, but also POI data.

btw i have a N900 ovi maps on it was terrible unless you install the mod that allows lot of the missing features Maemo5 version never got cared much for by Nokia
    Sounds interesting, but navigation on my N900 (and previous N97) just sucks, and that is because the GPS isn't accurate. My position would flip between service roads, the opposite road, and side road, causing frantic and confusing re-routing. It sucked so bad, that I gave up and bought cars with factory navigation. I only use navigation on my phones if I am a passenger in a vehicle now.

I have much more info (about Nokia and Microsoft), but can not share.

Michael.
    04-08-2011 07:06 PM
    If anyone is interested in what the next Generation of Nokia/Navteq maps will be like
    check out this video
    The cars have already been spotted worldwide what are collecting the data, pff who needs google streetview
    ;-)
    04-08-2011 07:47 PM
    If anyone is interested in what the next Generation of Nokia/Navteq maps will be like
    check out this video
    The cars have already been spotted worldwide what are collecting the data, pff who needs google streetview
    ;-)
    Absolutely Amazing! Thank you for sharing.

PS: TomTom maps - US & Canada = 1.8GB. Updated Quarterly. TomTom would be my Navigation choice if it comes available for WP7. I've got TomTom Rider, TomTom GO730, TomTom on iPhone, and TomTom on my WM 6.5 phones. It works amazingly well, even when there is no data connection, but even better when there is. Live traffic for instance.
    04-14-2011 12:24 AM
    Reviving a dead thread. As I type this post, my WP7 is downloading 1.5GB of map and voice data of the entire U.S. onto my WP7 for a certain navigation software that I was lucky to get my hands on.

And it's taking forever to download over wifi...

Michael.
    09-28-2011 09:21 PM
    Forgot about this! Will try it out tonight
    09-28-2011 09:25 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD