05-06-2011 12:51 PM
57 123
tools
    Jimski, thanks for facilitating awareness. I too feel that this is an important issue that needs to be addressed swiftly. I could not repeat in detail the specific problems as you have, but I'm glad that someone has an in-depth understanding of this issue.

Mostly I'm just adding another post to keep this thread fresh and increase the site hits. :D

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express
    04-12-2011 12:09 PM
    It happened to me too along with the push notifications...

Sent from my LG Optimus 7 using Board Express
    04-12-2011 08:48 PM
    i got an arrive on the first of april.. a few days ago i ran into the live tile issue.. i have factory resetted twice since then.. nothing.. glad i'm still within my 30 days.. i may get a replacement.. depending on if it negates my return policy and/or takes away my 2 year upgrade.. may be back to ol palm pre for a while.. sad because i like wp7.. microsoft should have been all over this, and should have a fix by now..
    04-14-2011 11:48 PM
    Hey Duvi, check out this link in my blog.

https://sk1wbw.wordpress.com/2011/04...ndows-phone-7/

I did the same thing. There's links to xda and some other places.
    I'll definitely check it out.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    04-15-2011 12:03 AM
    Just to update this thread, I decided to go for it last night and I am now running 15 live tiles and they all appear to be working. My Endpoints key is up to 24 entries, so not sure why my phone let me add the last 4 entries to jump from 11. Waiting for something to stop working to see what happens next. So far I know WeatherBug and Messenger are two apps that are contributing to the bottleneck issue (recreating keys) and should be avoided if you don't have registry access to delete. Will be looking out for others. Wonder if I should try for 16.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    04-15-2011 09:23 AM
    Just to update this thread, I decided to go for it last night and I am now running 15 live tiles and they all appear to be working. My Endpoints key is up to 24 entries, so not sure why my phone let me add the last 4 entries to jump from 11. Waiting for something to stop working to see what happens next. So far I know WeatherBug and Messenger are two apps that are contributing to the bottleneck issue (recreating keys) and should be avoided if you don't have registry access to delete. Will be looking out for others. Wonder if I should try for 16.

Jimski- Can you explain the Weatherbug bottleneck problem again? For those of us currently running it, what risks are there in continuing to use this app and is this app so out of control that it isn't worth using? If we get rid of it now after running it for weeks will that prevent future problems?
    04-17-2011 06:54 PM
    Jimski- Can you explain the Weatherbug bottleneck problem again? For those of us currently running it, what risks are there in continuing to use this app and is this app so out of control that it isn't worth using? If we get rid of it now after running it for weeks will that prevent future problems?

What I have experienced with Weatherbug, and a few other apps, is occasionally it disconnects, meaning the tile will stop updating. Sometimes simply opening the app to refresh the current data will wake up the tile while other times you may need to toggle the live tile feature off/on to get the tile working again.

When the tile initially disconnects is removes one of the two registry keys that were created when the app was first installed, the ManagedEndpoints (MEP) key. But it does not remove the Endpoints (EP) key. Then when it reconnects as described above, it creates two keys again, one MEP and one EP. Over time this causes an accumulation of left over EP keys and at some point, MEP keys are no longer allowed to be registered, probably because something in the system thinks you have reached the 15 live tile limit.

So over time Weatherbug "could" cause this registry key to accumulate extra entries, but it depends on how often it disconnects. I have seen it stop working twice for me in about 10 days, both times creating an extra key when it reconnected. How many other love tiles you have oils also be a factor as I have seen other apps exhibit the same behavior. Messenger for example.

So if Weatherbug has never stopped working for you I would just leave it alone, but if you have to wake it back up every week or so you may be running the risk of clogging things up which may affect Weatherbug and other live tiles, requiring a hard reset to get things working again if you don't have registry access. I sent them a detailed email on Saturday and waiting for a reply.

04-18-2011 02:24 AM
    Thanks for that in-depth explanation, Jimski. For precaution's sake I uninstalled Weatherbug until they fix this, which hopefully is soon since it is a great app otherwise.

I don't have registry access so that's the breaks.
    04-18-2011 10:34 AM
    This morning Weatherbug is showing sunny and 56 in Central Florida and WeatherChannel is showing sunny & 80, so sometime after sunrise it stopped. I have not actually opened Weatherbug since Saturday night. Just using the tiles. I will give it a few hours to catchup and then try to toggle it back on. Will let you know why happens. BTW, Weather Channel uses pull (no toast notifications) so no affect on this problem. Same goes for WeatherSuck. Both are OK to use.

04-18-2011 10:43 AM
    Sorry, thought I corrected that. It's WeatherDuck.

04-18-2011 10:45 AM
    That WeatherSuck app at least is honest. They tell you what to expect right in the title. ;-)
    04-18-2011 11:13 AM
    My weatherbug live tile has been functioning well. One thing I did was pin to start first. then I went into the app and configured it. This worked and its been good every since then. Prior to that, everytime I configured it before I pinned to start menu, it never worked. See if that works for you.
    04-20-2011 12:36 PM
    Wheelerk- My understanding is that even if Weatherbug is functioning well that under the hood of the WP7 engine its reeking havoc to the registry.
    04-20-2011 01:30 PM
    I've never once got my live tile to work on Weatherbug. Weird.
    04-20-2011 01:43 PM
    As a precaution I have uninstalled WeatherBug and have been using WeatherChannel. It seems like a better app anyways.

04-20-2011 01:54 PM
    Weatherbug finally updated late in the day Monday but has been stuck on the same night sky since I checked it yesterday morning. Even tried changing cities. Checked the registry and everything is there for the app. My other 9 tiles are working fine. Maybe after getting my email on Sunday they are looking into it, or maybe not. Only keeping it around now for testing.

I have discovered that other live tile apps mysteriously disconnect from the registry after a soft reset so no app is immune, but Weatherbug seems to disconnect more often. When the two registry keys in question have an equal number of entries all is well, but at some point Endpoint entries start to accumulate and that's when you get the disconnects and multiplying keys. Definitely a complex problem with lots of variables.

04-20-2011 02:01 PM
    you guys should try world weather. It started off pretty bad, but has turned into a very nice live tile weather option.
    04-20-2011 03:17 PM
    As a precaution I have uninstalled WeatherBug and have been using WeatherChannel. It seems like a better app anyways.

For me, weather channel would work for little while then stop. I finally removed it after weather bug started working using the method I described above. However, I'm waiting to see how good accu weather will be.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    04-20-2011 03:36 PM
    Weatherbug finally updated late in the day Monday but has been stuck on the same night sky since I checked it yesterday morning. Even tried changing cities. Checked the registry and everything is there for the app. My other 9 tiles are working fine. Maybe after getting my email on Sunday they are looking into it, or maybe not. Only keeping it around now for testing.

I have discovered that other live tile apps mysteriously disconnect from the registry after a soft reset so no app is immune, but Weatherbug seems to disconnect more often. When the two registry keys in question have an equal number of entries all is well, but at some point Endpoint entries start to accumulate and that's when you get the disconnects and multiplying keys. Definitely a complex problem with lots of variables.

Thank you for your efforts. It's really rather ridiculous that it's so complicated. I want to solely blame MS, but the fact that there are so many different bugs would suggest that it's a multifactorial problem, with both developers and MS contributing.

-R
    04-20-2011 08:39 PM
    just ordered an lg optimus and this is not good news. don't want to hard reset the phone everytime the tiles freeze. hope they get it fix pretty soon.
    windows mobile 7 interface is brilliant. it owns android and ios. people that don't like you must have very little taste :D
    05-04-2011 11:39 PM
    I've had my samsung focus since launch and have never had live tile issues
    05-04-2011 11:50 PM
    I've had my samsung focus since launch and have never had live tile issues
    That's great. Just curious, how many live tiles and what apps. It might be helpful know those not causing problems.

05-05-2011 12:42 AM
    Weather Channel
    Flory
    alphajax
    Tvshows
    A stock one that I can't remember the name of

I guess people are having issues at high numbers and I just don't have that many

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
    05-05-2011 01:30 PM
    It sucks having to keep up with what apps you've downloaded that use live tiles and push. They need at address this. If they are going to cap how many one can have, at least let me see how many I have.
    05-05-2011 01:53 PM
    Weather Channel
    Flory
    alphajax
    Tvshows
    A stock one that I can't remember the name of

I guess people are having issues at high numbers and I just don't have that many

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
    Thanks for that. FYI, Weather Channel is actually a "pull" live tile, meaning it works on a timed basis without any push. So this app is not affected by the "push" live tile issues and is not part of the count. I know that Alphajax and TVShows are push and I assume Flory is also. Most stock apps are probably push but not sure. So maybe these apps are stable. Good to know.

05-05-2011 04:42 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD