Live Tiles

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Weatherbug finally updated late in the day Monday but has been stuck on the same night sky since I checked it yesterday morning. Even tried changing cities. Checked the registry and everything is there for the app. My other 9 tiles are working fine. Maybe after getting my email on Sunday they are looking into it, or maybe not. Only keeping it around now for testing.

I have discovered that other live tile apps mysteriously disconnect from the registry after a soft reset so no app is immune, but Weatherbug seems to disconnect more often. When the two registry keys in question have an equal number of entries all is well, but at some point Endpoint entries start to accumulate and that's when you get the disconnects and multiplying keys. Definitely a complex problem with lots of variables.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
you guys should try world weather. It started off pretty bad, but has turned into a very nice live tile weather option.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As a precaution I have uninstalled WeatherBug and have been using WeatherChannel. It seems like a better app anyways.

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

For me, weather channel would work for little while then stop. I finally removed it after weather bug started working using the method I described above. However, I'm waiting to see how good accu weather will be.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Weatherbug finally updated late in the day Monday but has been stuck on the same night sky since I checked it yesterday morning. Even tried changing cities. Checked the registry and everything is there for the app. My other 9 tiles are working fine. Maybe after getting my email on Sunday they are looking into it, or maybe not. Only keeping it around now for testing.

I have discovered that other live tile apps mysteriously disconnect from the registry after a soft reset so no app is immune, but Weatherbug seems to disconnect more often. When the two registry keys in question have an equal number of entries all is well, but at some point Endpoint entries start to accumulate and that's when you get the disconnects and multiplying keys. Definitely a complex problem with lots of variables.

Thank you for your efforts. It's really rather ridiculous that it's so complicated. I want to solely blame MS, but the fact that there are so many different bugs would suggest that it's a multifactorial problem, with both developers and MS contributing.

-R

wqertyu

May 4, 2011
Visit site
just ordered an lg optimus and this is not good news. don't want to hard reset the phone everytime the tiles freeze. hope they get it fix pretty soon.
windows mobile 7 interface is brilliant. it owns android and ios. people that don't like you must have very little taste :D

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Weather Channel
Flory
alphajax
Tvshows
A stock one that I can't remember the name of

I guess people are having issues at high numbers and I just don't have that many

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It sucks having to keep up with what apps you've downloaded that use live tiles and push. They need at address this. If they are going to cap how many one can have, at least let me see how many I have.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Weather Channel
Flory
alphajax
Tvshows
A stock one that I can't remember the name of

I guess people are having issues at high numbers and I just don't have that many

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
Thanks for that. FYI, Weather Channel is actually a "pull" live tile, meaning it works on a timed basis without any push. So this app is not affected by the "push" live tile issues and is not part of the count. I know that Alphajax and TVShows are push and I assume Flory is also. Most stock apps are probably push but not sure. So maybe these apps are stable. Good to know.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It sucks having to keep up with what apps you've downloaded that use live tiles and push. They need at address this. If they are going to cap how many one can have, at least let me see how many I have.
I agree and have asked at least one developer to look into an app that would show you your registered live tiles. Don't think MS would prevent an app like that. You would be surprised how many apps load live tile support, without asking you, as soon as you open it the first time. Also, Schapman is considering adding a live tile reset tool to his Advanced Configuration Tool, but you would need to be dev unlocked to use it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand live titles. I got the Weatherbug and Weather channel app and they failed to give me up to date weather and just displayed the icon.

I have Flixter on my phone just because it has a "live" title, even though is just a pretty picture of a movie currently on theathers. The app is terrible though, I use IMDb.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Surprising about Weather Channel as it updates pretty regularly for me. I have had instances where WeatherBug would not update for a day or more so I gave up on it. Do you have a data connection always on in the background. Live tiles need a connection to update. Not sure if you are in the US, but Pro Sports Scores is a good one. Tracks, MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL games with tile updates every minute. MLB is best with few of the diamond, balls, strikes, outs, hitting and pitching.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hate that the music + video tile never changes, unless you go into the actual tile. It should update with each track, from the home screen.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried Weather Channel app again and I forgot it was completely useless on Puerto Rico. It doesn't pick my location, city or even country.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree and have asked at least one developer to look into an app that would show you your registered live tiles. Don't think MS would prevent an app like that. You would be surprised how many apps load live tile support, without asking you, as soon as you open it the first time. Also, Schapman is considering adding a live tile reset tool to his Advanced Configuration Tool, but you would need to be dev unlocked to use it.

I just registered as a developer and a live-tile reset tool is high on my list of priorities. I highly doubt MS would approve it for general release, but it's worth a shot right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)