Frequently used words

gator

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to "add" frequently used words to my Samsung Focus so when typing it will remember them and pop up like it does with many other words??

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I imagine it works the same across devices so on the Arrive you simply highlight the word and hit the + sign which appears to the left of it...and voila, that adds it to the dictionary.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Adding Words To the Dictionary

Is there a way to "add" frequently used words to my Samsung Focus so when typing it will remember them and pop up like it does with many other words??

I have found that if I type something that does not register as a word (my brother's name has a rather "creative" spelling) spellcheck will point it out. I tap on the underlined word, and between the text field and the virtual keyboard it will give me the option to change it to a suggested word or add it to the dictionary.

I have added more than a few words to the dictionary this way so far, and it now offers them in the list of suggested words.

I know this may not be a direct solution to what you are asking, but I hope it helps.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
neither works? highlite then+ ? can't seem to do on the Focus. Tap on the word, doesnt give me an option to add??
Works just fine for me on my samsung focus.

Type in the word, and then click on the word you just typed to highlight it. At the top where the autocomplete words are, the very left most thing should be your word with a + to the left of it. Click this and it will add it to the dictionary.

gator

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Works just fine for me on my samsung focus.

Type in the word, and then click on the word you just typed to highlight it. At the top where the autocomplete words are, the very left most thing should be your word with a + to the left of it. Click this and it will add it to the dictionary.
Ok, so I'm typing an email, and I type the word that I want added, highlite it as if I'm going to copy and paste? (that's the only way to highlite right?) when I do that 'nothing appears at the top of the autocomplete are and there isn't a+ to the left of it. Am I misunderstanding you??

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just tried on my Omnia 7 and got a + symbol in the panel;

- Created new email
- Typed "hahahaha"
- Selected the word
- Got + to the left of the bar

Have you attempted to swipe right on the bar to see if the + symbol is hiding?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have found that if I type something that does not register as a word (my brother's name has a rather "creative" spelling) spellcheck will point it out. I tap on the underlined word, and between the text field and the virtual keyboard it will give me the option to change it to a suggested word or add it to the dictionary.

I have added more than a few words to the dictionary this way so far, and it now offers them in the list of suggested words.

I know this may not be a direct solution to what you are asking, but I hope it helps.

I have to try this. Even if just to add my email address to the dictionary, that would be great.

Reactions: Rich Edmonds

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have to try this. Even if just to add my email address to the dictionary, that would be great.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

I just tried, but I wasn't able to save the entire address as a new dictionary entry. Just the part before the "@". Oh well, better than nothing.

gator

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help, it seems to work only some of the time. For some reason the + isnt at all there after highlighting a word even after scrolling left to right??

gator

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
One other thing. When I tap to highlite it, it usually goes into "copy" mode and the + is replaced with the copy icon.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
This is how it works on my post-NoDo AT&T Quantum.
Let's take use word "hashtag" as an example:
If I type it in without a space, it flags it as a possible misspelled word, and gives it the red squiggly underline. I tap on the underlined word. Above the keyboard it will read "+ hashtag * hash tag" giving me the option to either add it to dictionary as it is, or change the misspelled word to two correctly spelled words. I can also drag to the right to reveil the copy/paste icon hidden to the left.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Basically you only get the + for words that don't currently exist in the dictionary.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes