What is the point in jailbreaking?

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I jailbroke my Optimus 7 just to see what the fuss was about and now well I don't see the point. You can sideload apps ok I put the HTC youtube app on but other than that. I know on the iPhone you can install installous but there is no alternative for WP7 as far as I can see.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. Side loading is Ok, but ONLY for freely available apps. Three things you can do with an unlocked phone:
-if your live tiles stop working you can access the registry and clear out the key causing the problem. Schapmans Reg Editor states it works on LG's, but you would need to confirm that.
-using Schapmans TouchXplorer (think it works on LG's) you can install custom ringtones.
-with Schapmans Advanced Configuration you can change some of the default accent colors. Don't know about you, but lime, pink and purple do nothing for me.

These are the primary reasons I unlocked. Don't really want to start experimenting with tweaks that change the OS. Sort of liking the current speed and stability.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
1. custom ringtones...many don't care about this, but I like it. Stock ringtones are horrible. This is coming later this year for 3rd party apps, but unless they allow ME to sync my own ringtones without using some crap 'bestringt0nez' app, and what THEY have available, I will still unlock for this reason alone.

2. custom colors. I like the stock green, but thats it. The rest look bad on the Super AMOLED the Focus has. Blue is ok I guess. Hopefully MS allows something like the current Advanced Config tool I use. Color wheel, hex #'s ect in an advanced color settings. I doubt they will keep the same 8 colors forever, so I'm hopeful.

3. Home brewed apps, beta apps ect. When MS releases the new marketplace to allow private apps, beta apps ect, and the Rating ability (pg, mature ect) so dev's can put in more adult/violent content without being rejected from the market, this won't be much of an issue.

I never use it to steal apps, and hope those that do are few.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Not Me.

The only reason that I have to monkey with my device's inner-workings is just to see if I could do it, and even then it would be with an old, extra one that is probably already messed up. Otherwise I feel it is a waste of my time, and the potential benefit certainly does not out-weigh the drawbacks.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have Julian Schapman considering a feature to reset your live tiles with his Advanced Configuration Tool. That could fill a big need for users with live tile issues that may not be resolved till a Mango update late this year, or later.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You can still unlock your phone if you have a developer account with Microsoft. So its not really jailbroken, the opposite of jail since it is total legit, heh.
So my phone is freeFixed? heh

Well I am not a student (for now), and I do not want to pay for a developer account simply yo be able to make my own color themes (thats really all I want). Also, I use a mac so installing the dev tools wouldn't work anyway.

There is no way to unlock a NoDo device in any other way?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I am not a student (for now), and I do not want to pay for a developer account simply yo be able to make my own color themes (thats really all I want). Also, I use a mac so installing the dev tools wouldn't work anyway.

There is no way to unlock a NoDo device in any other way?

Not right now. The only way I have mine unlocked post NoDo is I used the relock prevention tool prior to getting my updates. So its just still unlocked from before.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
2. custom colors. I like the stock green, but thats it. The rest look bad on the Super AMOLED the Focus has. Blue is ok I guess. Hopefully MS allows something like the current Advanced Config tool I use. Color wheel, hex #'s ect in an advanced color settings. I doubt they will keep the same 8 colors forever, so I'm hopeful.

What phone do you have where the stock live tiles are green?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077