Coming into WP7 from webOS. Someone give me the crash course?

TheAngelOfElysium

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, after quite a while on webOS, which I absolutely love and will probably go back to, it's time for me to test some different waters, so I'm coming here. What I'd like to know is, what sort of similarities and differences am I looking at, what will I probably have difficulty adjusting to, and precisely how good of an idea is this?

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from WebOS too, I actually don't get my Focus until the 12th, but I'd like to see a crash course too.

Really, the system is so intuitive you do not need much.

Go ahead and install zune. Zune software, Zune HD players, and the Social | Zune.net
You use it for getting files and media to and from phone to computer.

Create a Windows Live account Sign In
A windows live account is required, and it also gives you a lot of extra features like find phone, lock phone, etc. It also makes it easy to save pics and other content to the cloud. It has free 25gig of storage in the skyDrive. You can link your Windows Live account with Facebook, etc.

Remember to swipe left and right if it looks like there is more stuff there. And a lot of things have context menus you access by holding down on for a second. So for instance in email hold down on a email gets you essentially a "right click" menu.
Also, there are regions, so again in email, for instance, if you click all the way to the left on the list of messages, it will bring up a check box selector so you can select multiple messages at once, etc.

Other then simple things like that, just play and have fun.

And of course, check out ALL of my apps. Just search "Erlensoft" in the zune software :)

Reactions: VernonEL

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, after quite a while on webOS, which I absolutely love and will probably go back to, it's time for me to test some different waters, so I'm coming here. What I'd like to know is, what sort of similarities and differences am I looking at, what will I probably have difficulty adjusting to, and precisely how good of an idea is this?
The biggest thing I think you will notice is lack of multitasking and an effecint way to switch between the apps you can multitask with. That's what I notice. I rc the HTC Arrive for Sprint, the phone I bought this week. I'll be posting first impressions soon if you want to read thoughts on the phone (precentral.net has this all ready).

Enjoy the new phone!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What you need to know:

Expect a lot of flak for choosing WP7 because there's a lot of fanboys out there and they strike without notice. :D

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well you've come to the right place. Alot of us former webOS users have ended up here and made the transition quite nicely as you will see by the threads. My .02 is that WP7 is the natural replacement for webOS.

As far as direct comparison there's just no getting around the fact that webOS has turned multi-tasking into an art so you will miss the cards (until Mango, anyway). The other thing you may miss is the great homebrew community which allowed for every customization you needed for your Pre/Pixi. Notifications, are currently better implemented on webOS but live tiles of WP7 have more potential in the long-run.

That good news is that WP7 is a user-friendly platform just like webOS so you should feel right at home jumping into things. You'll find that regardless of whether you have a hardware keyboard or virtual keyboard that most people really like the native WP7 virtual kb and coming from a Palm phone that may be a nice surprise.

While you may miss cards you won't miss the general lag that plagues webOS. WP7 is silky smooth in contrast and the fact that you can move around so quickly makes the platform a joy to use. It also makes webOS look utilitarian by comparison. There's something about the Metro UI which makes the whole experience feel extremely well polished.

Which brings us to apps, there's 16,000 now which is roughly triple webOS. You don't realize how much webOS is the red-headed stepchild of the mobile world until you get on a platform like this which has app support from most of the major players. It's amazing to see how many sites are supporting WP7 which didn't give Palm the time of day.

Regarding live tiles, they are really slick and do help get over missing webOS notifications. Do a little research on the current 15 live tile limit that MS imposes and what that means for your phone by combing the forums. Not all live tiles are created equal is the issue.

Of course you have XBL and the game selection and quality speaks for itself.

Take your time to enjoy WP7 and evaluate it. It's pretty much what I was looking for Palm to deliver for the last year and was shocked to find that MS has built a solid platform that made moving from webOS alot easier and convinced me it was a good choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: VernonEL

TheAngelOfElysium

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh you guys are absolutely wonderful! I'll take this all in mind.

Now all I have to do is wait for someone to buy this Palm Pre 2 so I can get either a Quantum or a Focus!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Now all I have to do is wait for someone to buy this Palm Pre 2 so I can get either a Quantum or a Focus!

Quantum or Focus. What happened to the Surround? The speaker is surprisingly good and the 3.8" screen is just about right for me. At the end of the day, the choice is yours. But don't rule anything out till you have had a chance to play with it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

TheAngelOfElysium

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Quantum or Focus. What happened to the Surround? The speaker is surprisingly good and the 3.8" screen is just about right for me. At the end of the day, the choice is yours. But don't rule anything out till you have had a chance to play with it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Ehh, media's not a huge deal for me. This decision's really about the keyboard, so for me it's either 4" slab or 3,5" slider. Honestly, I'm preferring the Focus at this point. Been through small screens, now I want a bigger one.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I recommend the Focus, is the most popular Windows Phone for a reason. It doesn't have a gimmick it's just a pretty phone with a great screen that takes amazing pictures.

That being said I use an Optimus 7 and I love it very much, I only wish the screen was as good as the focus but the phone is so pretty I get compliments almost daily, it's a great feeling.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you are not purchasing yet, the HD7S might be out by the time you are ready to purchase. Even bigger and better screen!

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh you guys are absolutely wonderful! I'll take this all in mind.

Welcome to WPCentral.

At least you're considering the Quantum. It is very underrated. I have found it to be a very sound device. Of course it is the OS that makes it shine, but the hardware is robust and gives one the feeling of quality.

The slide-out keyboard is by far the best I have used (Touch Pro II being one of them). That being said, the soft keyboard on WP7 is amazing, even on the Quantum's 3.5 in screen!

Check out other discussions regarding the Quantum in the device specific forum. This thread in particular may give you good insight. http://forums.windowscentral.com/lg-quantum/177354.htm

Happy hunting!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Man AT&T has the best WP7 selection then. I really wanted the Dell Venue pro but it never came here in PR. I'll keep my eye on the Wrigley dell phone that has a sweet camera and mango.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hope you enjoy the platform switch. I missed many things coming from a background of blackberry>iphone>android, but the way wp7 is designed is so much better than the typical palm related design of all the other players (utilitarian, grid of icons, up/down interface), and I could immediately see where both the mobile and future desktop/tablet model of windows was going to head that I was fine with waiting for certain things to be implemented (most of which are being done in the Mango software update coming later this year).

Microsoft has been impressing me lately, and I gotta give their design team an A+ on this one. It will only get better as they start adding more features to the platform, but I've never felt like an OS was done so 'right' like I did when I got my Focus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077