New Mango features!

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Upcoming Windows Phone "Mango" update details.

WinRumors.com has compiled a list as well which is pretty complete and has video of alot of it too. Check out their page at:http://www.winrumors.com/windows-phone-7-5-mango-feature-list-and-demos/

SOURCE:http://www.windowscentral.com/turn-...e-text-bing-audio-vision-all-coming-wp7-mango

EDIT: Added some additional features that were mentioned at a later time.

Bing Audio: Think Shazam, but built into Bing and we bet of course Zune Marketplace. Country support is initially limited to the U.S., Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain and Germany.

Bing Vision: A full blown image scanner using your camera. It can detect, identify and search using barcodes, Microsoft Tags, QR Codes, CD’s, DVDs, Books, and text using OCR (see here for history)

Turn-by-turn navigation: “voice guidance during driving directions” (we heard about this awhile ago)

SMS Dictation: Using Microsoft's TellMe service, you can use voice-to-text for SMS messages by tapping a microphone near the bottom
East Asian Language Keyboard, Handwriting and Dictionary Support--[we saw this mentioned a few days ago]

Improved SkyDrive sync in Office hub - adding Word, Excel, and PowerPoint sync support. Each document type will now be indicated by the color of the tile:

Bing Image Search, Bing Vision, and Bing Audio – besides Bing Vision and Bing Audio as revealed earlier this morning, it seems like Bing will now feature Image Search as well.

Windows Live Messenger integrated in People hub – as we have predicted earlier, the Chinese developer confirms that Windows Live Messenger will be integrated in the People hub. You will be able to directly IM someone on your contact list.

Lync client (aka Microsoft Office Communications Server) - coming in the Mango timeframe

EDIT:Added more features that were leaked. May 15, 2011

SOURCE:http://www.windowscentral.com/facebook-aim-chat-group-sms-and-more-cmoing-windows-phone-7-5

Windows Live Messenger, Facebook chat and AOL Instant Messenger all integrated under Messaging--and remember, we heard this is rumored to be a dual data/SMS system, making it really reliable even when your connection is not. Your presence as well as your friends are displayed in the People Hub dynamically.

Office 365 and Skydrive built into Office hub--'nuff said

Group Messaging: currently there are some nice 3rd party apps that do this, but the ability to have pre-defined groups to message to will be now native, allowing to create quick groups for Family, Work, Friends, etc. This will work for Email and SMS.

Artist art on Lockscreen: This is very cool, especially those with Zune HD players. What this does is pull down the Zune/Artist artwork of your current selection and plays it in a marquee/banner fashion on the screen. It currently does this on your Zune desktop/Xbox (play some music and wiat a few mins, you'll see). Evidently, in WP7.5, you can do this on your phone, making the Zune HD/Windows Phone distinction even less. This was always an awesome thing on the Zune HD, so we're glad it's being brought over.

Xbox gets a facelift, including 'sync' option (potentially for online-game play). We first reported this back at MIX11, so now it's confirmed.

Native Checkins are coming e.g. Facebook Places.

Visual Voicemail will use Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP)

Battery saving features/options (under Settings)

WiFi Hotspot support, uses Network Communication and Information Systems (NCIS) technology

EDIT:Added the info from TechEd about the business side of things May 16, 2011

SOURCE:http://www.windowscentral.com/more-wp-7-5-features-lync-threaded-and-pinned-email

Pinnable email folders: Pin a folder to the start screen for quick access. This could be an email folder for a specific project, from a specific group or person (like your boss), or an RSS feed you’ve set up in Outlook.

Conversation view in email: Emails in your inbox are organized by conversation, bringing replies to a thread into a consolidated view so it’s faster and easier to stay on top of the conversation.

Server search: Search your email server (e.g. Exchange Server) for older emails no longer stored on your phone, giving you ready access to all of your mail.

Lync:(previously mentioned in the post) Lync Mobile brings the Lync experience to Windows Phone customers by delivering Unified Communications capabilities, including instant messaging and the ability to see the presence of your co-workers. The Lync app will be a free download from Windows Phone Marketplace and will be enabled with support from your business organization.

Complex (alpha-numeric) password support

Information Rights Management

Support for access to hidden corporate Wi-Fi networks

EDIT:Added two more pieces of info May 17, 2011

SOURCE:http://www.windowscentral.com/more-windows-phone-7-5-features-smartdj-disable-camera-sound

Smart DJ - Found on the ol' Zune HD, it's described as thus "If you have a Zune Pass, you'll hear a mix of music from your collection and from the Zune catalog if you're near a known wireless network. Otherwise, if you don't have a Zune Pass or if you aren't near a known wireless network, the Smart DJ mix will just include songs from your own music collection.". Basically it rivals iTunes Genius and is something us Zune'ers have been wanting for awhile. (For a good 'versus' article, see Gounce's iTunes vs Zune piece).

Disable the camera shutter sound - pretty self explanatory, we can finally disable the ever so loud (and annoying) camera shutter noise. Hooray for spy shots!

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Confound it! I was beat to the punch lol anyways, everything looks great I was wondering if anyone can make a feature list of ALL the upcoming features and have a comparison list of iOS and Android with it, I just wanna see how far off Microsoft is in regards to feature parity, because I'd say they're doing a great job of catching up to the competition. On a side note, i hope they can really work on their TellMe service as well because although i love WP7 and Microsoft (and want Google to fail miserably) with my experience with an HD7 the TellMe service (aside from two and three word searches) NEVER EVER EVER, EVER! Gets anything that I say right, with long sentences that is, so if it can't get sentences right why would I want to use it for SMS and/or email composition? Would I use it two to three words at a time? That seems like a pain. I'll have to admit that the only thing my "Droid" could "do" better than my HD7 was the voice recognition.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Me to I am very excited to see what all comes our way when Mango hits the masses. In that list me most needed is going to be the speech to text that is one thing I wish I had now.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Even with all those features WP7 Bing is still the most limited Bing mobile service right? I don't like that I can't even search for pictures.

Besides all the great things coming out, here are the 3 I want the most.

1- Better Xbox Live integration. Xbox Live is ok and extras is awesome but really slow. (Also how come I can't not hear voice messages on it? )

2- An awesome Windows Live server. and please don't be dark and flat, I just want my regular Windows Messenger but with a nice metro look ( Like Cocktail flow or Facebook ).

3- The same thing as above but for youtube.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Even with all those features WP7 Bing is still the most limited Bing mobile service right? I don't like that I can't even search for pictures.

I do believe image search results will be coming with Mango

1- Better Xbox Live integration. Xbox Live is ok and extras is awesome but really slow. (Also how come I can't not hear voice messages on it? )

More integration? Wouldn't that effectively make it full Xbox Live service? Which kinda goes against the whole mobile thing... That's the point of mobile right? Simplifying things while you're away from the real thing, but that's my opinion I guess.

2- An awesome Windows Live server. and please don't be dark and flat, I just want my regular Windows Messenger but with a nice metro look ( Like Cocktail flow or Facebook ).

Microsoft isn't stupid I'm more than positive that they're gonna bring messenger to WP7, they're just waiting for something... Question is what? My opinion is for all carriers to adopt WP7 then they'll bring it out.

3- The same thing as above but for youtube.

Google is denying the YouTube website API's to Microsoft (I'm pretty sure they have em but they can't "officially" use em without getting smacked with a lawsuit)

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mango is going to be a pretty feature rich addition I think. I already liked the Dev stuff they announced which will pave the way for almost all the types of apps people have been asking for. And this list is only a limited showing of things that are even ok for them to let us know about before their official announcements of the consumer features. I think they will have some pretty big things coming as well as many more features like these come announcement time.

I'm pretty excited for Mango. Many of my friends and family already show interest in wp7, but my advice to them has been to wait till Mango is released. I do not think they will be disappointed.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
On a side note, i hope they can really work on their TellMe service as well because although i love WP7 and Microsoft (and want Google to fail miserably) with my experience with an HD7 the TellMe service (aside from two and three word searches) NEVER EVER EVER, EVER! Gets anything that I say right, with long sentences that is, so if it can't get sentences right why would I want to use it for SMS and/or email composition? Would I use it two to three words at a time? That seems like a pain. I'll have to admit that the only thing my "Droid" could "do" better than my HD7 was the voice recognition.
Now I'm curious about seeing a comparison of WP7, Android, and iPhone voice recognition. I haven't had any problems with mine; maybe you just need to learn how to speak English... j/k :p I haven't really done much testing, but it seemed just as accurate as the Evo for me.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Try Terra Explorer. Its free. Includes web, local, wiki, video and photos in search results.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm curious about seeing a comparison of WP7, Android, and iPhone voice recognition. I haven't had any problems with mine; maybe you just need to learn how to speak English... j/k :p I haven't really done much testing, but it seemed just as accurate as the Evo for me.

I'm positive that I articulate and pronounce my English very well despite my name (I am Hispanic) my first language is English and my secondary language is Spanish. The funny thing is, I didn't speak Spanish correctly until I was about 16, I was completely oblivious to the fact that I spoke Spanish like a white boy lol (no offense/racial slurs intended) I thought I spoke it well until my little nephew pointed it out after that I made sure my English was correct, then started practicing on my Spanish. (Which is superb now). Wow, okay back on topic, it gets close, but not quite exact... Like I said, with two to three word searches it has never failed me it'll get it spot on. Beyond four words it'll mistake one or two words depending on the length of the question I'm asking. In some erratic cases it'll get it so wrong it starts to dial a random contact that it apparently thought I wanted to call. Maybe its just the HD7, maybe its just my HD7, I have no clue but the comparison video would be MUCH appreciated if someone had all three OS's to test (I think we all know which "three" I'm talking about, you know? The only ones that are relevant in this market anymore lol) but yeah...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
More integration? Wouldn't that effectively make it full Xbox Live service? Which kinda goes against the whole mobile thing... That's the point of mobile right? Simplifying things while you're away from the real thing, but that's my opinion I guess.

Mobile phones are supposed to make life easier and be able to do as much as possible without needing a pc, and with windows phone, all that as well as M$ products, including office, zune and xbox. You're able to edit your avatar on the phone, so why can I read/write messages, but can't hear/speak messages?

I use Spark 360 for my Xbox live stuff on Android and loading up my friends list is faster using a non-M$ product than Xbox Live Extras. To me, aside from getting faster, M$ needs to have an edge with their own product, so deeper integration is a must.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mobile phones are supposed to make life easier and be able to do as much as possible without needing a pc, and with windows phone, all that as well as M$ products, including office, zune and xbox. You're able to edit your avatar on the phone, so why can I read/write messages, but can't hear/speak messages?

I use Spark 360 for my Xbox live stuff on Android and loading up my friends list is faster using a non-M$ product than Xbox Live Extras. To me, aside from getting faster, M$ needs to have an edge with their own product, so deeper integration is a must.

I guess so. Like I said its just my opinion. Windows phone isn't about Xbox, its a phone, which means anybody including say, PS3 fanatics, can get one, more Xbox Live integration means more menu to go through or options to pick which makes things complicated, if they just want it for a phone it could turn them off of Xbox even more. I'm sure Microsoft would want the exact opposite. However the way things are, Xbox kicks royal ***, Sony sucks donkey balls so **** PS3 and here's to hoping they do expand on that integration! :D

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

why en cojos do you say M$ instead of MS? its MS NOT M$!!!!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
An awesome Windows Live server. and please don't be dark and flat, I just want my regular Windows Messenger but with a nice metro look ( Like Cocktail flow or Facebook ).

Well like I said, just a matter of time before they release it... Messenger Integration In People Hub And More Mango Features Revealed

There are reports however that it isn't an actual app, and that its more of a "smart messaging" feature if you will, where; it'll determine whether the person you're contacting is available through Live Messenger; if they are, it sends an IM if they aren't then it sends an SMS. Good integration I guess, but something leaves me wanting an actual app for it.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess so. Like I said its just my opinion. Windows phone isn't about Xbox, its a phone, which means anybody including say, PS3 fanatics, can get one, more Xbox Live integration means more menu to go through or options to pick which makes things complicated, if they just want it for a phone it could turn them off of Xbox even more. I'm sure Microsoft would want the exact opposite. However the way things are, Xbox kicks royal ***, Sony sucks donkey balls so **** PS3 and here's to hoping they do expand on that integration! :D

I think more Xbox Live integration makes sense for exactly the reasons you mention. My son is 13 and the first thing he does when he gets home from school is turn on his Xbox360, log into Live, and start a party with his friends. Then he does his homework while talking to all of his friends on his headset. They're always messaging each other. Xbox Live has become part of the infrastructure of his relationships with his friends, much like Facebook is part of the infrastructure for people in college and in their 20s.

If MS included more Xbox Live integration in the mobile space, that would strengthen the dependence on that infrastructure even more. Adults would get a kick out of making avatars too. If they had game previews, videos, chat, voice messaging, etc. in the Xbox Live hub, people would be in the Xbox Live world more. Then, when you're at Best Buy or Gamestop looking at games, you'll probably go to the Xbox aisle first.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I hope they fix the problem with youtube audio not being able to play over BT headphones. This is such a fail! Please let someone from MS read these boards and fix this issue!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope they fix the problem with youtube audio not being able to play over BT headphones. This is such a fail! Please let someone from MS read these boards and fix this issue!

Third party YouTube clients' audio doesn't work with Bluetooth either? What do you use for YouTube?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb