I think Microsoft needs to push Rare* to make exclusives for WP7.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
GoldenEye 007 - that's all i'm saying. lol. Heck, we got 'Pefect Dark' as an arcade game, although that sucked.

Gimme GoldenEye on my Focus with MP support! ha.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm about 124.940% positive that Rare didn't make Halo, Fable or Gears... Wasn't this discussion about Rare?

Although not at the head of the credits, Rare has been involved in a lot of assorted Microsoft games, and is heavily credited in Halo 3.

I don't think Rare's going anywhere. Their focus has shifted mostly to interface-related stuff on the Xbox 360, and developing the platform as a whole. They were involved heavily in the Kinect. They've gone from the game-makers to the ones supporting the game-makers. It may not be the most glorious job, but I think they'll pull a pleasant surprise on us eventually once they have the time.

Here's a bit of a useless fact I learned at a panel involving them: Viva Pinata was initially a Windows Mobile title, but never released to that platform. It balooned into a 360 game when the higher-ups showed interest. A new version later showed up on the Nintendo DS, which in terms of hardware, is very similar to what Windows Mobile runs on.

You'll notice a lot of Microsoft titles on the Nintendo DS overall. A lot of them are published through a 3rd party, but they're out there. Rare is apparently working on some 3DS titles, which pretty much means that Winmo ports or simultaneous releases would be easy to pull off. Dunno if it means any exclusives in the future, though.

Still, what I wouldn't give for a Kameo sequel...

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I understand that Microsoft has made many great games over the years, especially since the launch of Xbox 360. Your comments were that Rare has had many great games, quite frankly both Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo sucked pretty bad. Rare hasn't done anything worth playing in a long time.

Also out of the three games that you mentioned only one company is actually owned by Microsoft. Bungie, who develops the Halo games, is owned by Microsoft. The other two are only published by Microsoft.

Gears of war is owned and developed by Epic Games

Fable is owned and developed by Lionhead Studios

MS doesn't own bungie any more. Bungie got out of their contract and is now using Activision to produce their new game (think they wanna go multi platform )

MS does own 343 studios ( the guys who did halo way point ) and they do still own the rights to halo... So a halo wp7 game isn't out of the question.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
MS doesn't own bungie any more. Bungie got out of their contract and is now using Activision to produce their new game (think they wanna go multi platform )

MS does own 343 studios ( the guys who did halo way point ) and they do still own the rights to halo... So a halo wp7 game isn't out of the question.

I had heard something about that. I knew they weren't developing Halo games anymore, but didn't follow the story farther than that. I stopped caring about Halo after 3 was released and it sucked. Bungie looks to be going the way of Rare. So sad. Oh well....

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I haven't heard anyone complain about the Halo games. Well besides that RTS they tried.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I haven't heard anyone complain about the Halo games. Well besides that RTS they tried.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Story-wise the single player on the Halo games was always was kinda lacking. I also played Halo 2 and 3 online alot when they first came out. When Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare came out though it was all over. I played both Modern Warefare 1 and 2 a ton before I sold my xbox so I would focus on school more and get my degree done. As soon as I am done with my degree though it is back to the 360 and the modern warfare games. :D

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the MW games are amazing. I must agree. I switched for XBox to PS3, so I haven't played any Halo games in a long time. After you start back gaming, you should really look at Battlefield 2. I played it for the first time this weekend and had a blast.
Story-wise the single player on the Halo games was always was kinda lacking. I also played Halo 2 and 3 online alot when they first came out. When Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare came out though it was all over. I played both Modern Warefare 1 and 2 a ton before I sold my xbox so I would focus on school more and get my degree done. As soon as I am done with my degree though it is back to the 360 and the modern warfare games. :D

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the MW games are amazing. I must agree. I switched for XBox to PS3, so I haven't played any Halo games in a long time. After you start back gaming, you should really look at Battlefield 2. I played it for the first time this weekend and had a blast.

I played a demo and wasn't too impressed, but demo's aren't the actual finished game so I couldn't say how well it turned out. I have seen the trailers for Battlefield 3 though, and those look amazing. Might be worth picking up a 360 this fall just to play that game alone.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I would love to be able to play all those great FPS but I can't aim to save my life. I couldn't beat the Call of Duty Modern Warfare demo =(

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I would love to be able to play all those great FPS but I can't aim to save my life. I couldn't beat the Call of Duty Modern Warfare demo =(
being aware of your surroundings and reaction time are very important to being at least average to pretty good.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Is just not for me. The only shooters I have beaten are RE5 and Bioshock. and I can't even beat Bioshock on normal. Heck I basically just use a shotgun most of the time and only shoot when I'm really close.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Game Studios created a mobile division late summer last year. They need to develop and secure exclusive games that push touchscreen gaming the same way they want to push Kinect. The hope is that the WP team is able to work properly with the Xbox team (MGS in particular) to properly gauge what approach will achieve the most success and word-of-mouth the quickest and execute. If WP doesn't have a decent presence at the E3 presser in two weeks, my confidence will be quite shaken.

But I agree it'd be nice to Rare make some experimental, short development games for the platform. Though many just can't be rational about it, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is one of the most creative and satisfying games to be released last decade.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
For me at least Rare haven't being doing anything interesting for Microsoft with the exception of Avatars and Kinect. Now I was thinking, why not take those Kinect games and make something for Windows Phone? Like Windows Sports or Windows Adventures.

Core games for WP7 can also prove to be successful, A Banjo Game for example, Perfect Dark is another one. Gameloft prove all of this is possible on a smartphone so why not have some great Microsoft Exclusives?

Mirosoft needs to hire u :D

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't program to save my life lol. Which sucks because I have games in my minds for years with entire songs, sound effects, level layout, enemy design and more but without the talent to pull it off. I can draw and paint but that's it.

Btw? isn't Hydro Thunder coming out today?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes