05-21-2011 12:12 AM
51 123
tools
    God, please be true!! http://wmpoweruser.com/htc-omega-and...-7-5-handsets/

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    05-18-2011 05:35 PM
    I'm sure scientists somewhere are working on new battery advancements, but, really, there are only so many elements in the periodic table and combinations of such that are viable right now. Unless, of course, you don't mind a nuclear reactor in your pants, then maybe... :P

Also, we have heard of battery-related advancements relatively recently with inductive chargers. Additionally, there're these fun things: Flexcell - Outdoor & Camping
    I know there are some really impressive technologies out there, the one that impressed me the most was the battery cells that charge fully within a couple of minutes. What I meant was that no OEM is taking the initiative to use these technologies or help move them forward.
    05-18-2011 07:07 PM
    God, please be true!! HTC Omega and HTC Eternity may be new Windows Phone 7.5 handsets

Unfortunately I would be willing to bet money that this one isn't true. Look at the first two responses to this thread. There is no reason whatsoever to have a 1.5 GHz processor in a windows phone. As for the camera that does seem to be a bit believable. They're probably going to turn out to be Android phones.
    05-18-2011 07:44 PM
    A 4.7 in screen would be awesome. I have huge hands - I would dig a phone that size.
    05-19-2011 07:27 AM
    Why is there no reason not to have a 1.5Ghz processor in a windows phone. I'm sure the next gen hardware will have dual processors. So why is a dual core 1Ghz reasonable, but a single core 1.5Ghz isn't?
    Unfortunately I would be willing to bet money that this one isn't true. Look at the first two responses to this thread. There is no reason whatsoever to have a 1.5 GHz processor in a windows phone. As for the camera that does seem to be a bit believable. They're probably going to turn out to be Android phones.
    05-19-2011 08:16 AM
    My friend has some type of 5 in Dell android phone, and I loved it. I would jump all over a 4.7 in WP7.
    A 4.7 in screen would be awesome. I have huge hands - I would dig a phone that size.
    05-19-2011 08:17 AM
    ^There's a Dell phone that is pretty long, I think is the Dell Streak. It should work great with WP7 since you can get access to more titles.

Anyway I'm kinda worry that we haven't seen new phones in almost a year. Will companies abandon WP7? =(
    05-19-2011 08:46 AM
    Yeah, that's what he has, the Streak. I love it, and it would a nice WP7.
    ^There's a Dell phone that is pretty long, I think is the Dell Streak. It should work great with WP7 since you can get access to more titles.

Anyway I'm kinda worry that we haven't seen new phones in almost a year. Will companies abandon WP7? =(
    05-19-2011 09:38 AM
    Why is there no reason not to have a 1.5Ghz processor in a windows phone. I'm sure the next gen hardware will have dual processors. So why is a dual core 1Ghz reasonable, but a single core 1.5Ghz isn't?
    Its needlessly wasting power when the OS is already optimized for 800 MHz (2nd Gen) or 1 GHz and above. As of now there is nothing software wise that would warrant the use of such power, therefore needlessly wasting money on the manufacturing of the device.
    05-19-2011 10:29 AM
    Higher quality games will require more processing power. All the more graphic intensive apps will need more processing power. Opening app will be faster, switching back and forth from tombstoned app will be faster. I can't see any negatives. Battery life will be the same, if they use a larger batter, which is all but a given.
    Its needlessly wasting power when the OS is already optimized for 800 MHz (2nd Gen) or 1 GHz and above. As of now there is nothing software wise that would warrant the use of such power, therefore needlessly wasting money on the manufacturing of the device.
    05-19-2011 11:16 AM
    with mango coming, its likely that it can be true, but a 4.7 inch screen? that's just short of a Dell streak.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 via Board Express
    05-19-2011 11:27 AM
    Higher quality games will require more processing power. All the more graphic intensive apps will need more processing power. Opening app will be faster, switching back and forth from tombstoned app will be faster. I can't see any negatives. Battery life will be the same, if they use a larger batter, which is all but a given.
    While that all may be true, the OS is already quick enough as is. Literally the only advantage is gaming (I had even said that on my original reply at the beginning of the thread). I don't see many games that demand much power RIGHT NOW, after mango that MIGHT be a different story, but its still too early to tell. Regardless I don't see the OEMs wasting money on something like that. I think HTC is headed in the right direction with camera innovation for Windows Phone, if the 16 mp device comes out with a real lens and a decent sized digital image sensor then they may have a real good marketing point for that device.
    05-19-2011 11:37 AM
    Right. I'm assuming this phone will be a post Mango phone.

05-19-2011 11:44 AM
    Higher quality games will require more processing power. All the more graphic intensive apps will need more processing power. Opening app will be faster, switching back and forth from tombstoned app will be faster.
    You're absolutely right, the problem i see is that it creates hardware fragmentation unless they have definitive 'generations'. You don't want people having to look at phone hardware specs to decide whether an app will run well or not and having to go through and understand those specs when buying a phone.
    Better to do it the Apple way and have Gen1 specs, Gen2 specs, etc... that way you get the latest generation and can be assured that apps will work on all phones adhering to that spec and not just a specific phone.
    05-19-2011 06:28 PM
    I am probably wrong about this, but I think I have seen the folks on Precentral swear up and down that a faster CPU = more efficient battery usage = longer lasting battery.
    05-19-2011 06:40 PM
    I am probably wrong about this, but I think I have seen the folks on Precentral swear up and down that a faster CPU = more efficient battery usage = longer lasting battery.
    maybe because you can complete tasks faster, which means the device isn't being used as much? i'm not an expert at all, but if it's the case, i'm guessing that may be part of their argument.
    05-19-2011 07:46 PM
    That only works if the CPU is more efficient. If it's just faster (higher clockspeed) then sure you complete tasks faster, but you use more power doing it.
    05-19-2011 09:55 PM
    That only works if the CPU is more efficient. If it's just faster (higher clockspeed) then sure you complete tasks faster, but you use more power doing it.
    Damn near took the words outta my mouth lol.
    05-19-2011 10:29 PM
    As someone who is a research scientists at Argonne National Labs (Argonne National Laboratory ... for a brighter future). The first National Lab of the nation (US), where much of the early nuclear research was done (though not well known). We developed some of the new battery technology in the Chevy Volt (Argonne battery technology helps power Chevy Volt).

I can tell you this; I always see people say "they need to work on better batteries". Well, a lot of really smart people are. It is hard, it is a limit of physics and chemistry; totally new approaches are having to be developed.

Also, if you were willing to pay $1000 for a cell phone battery, sure, I can make it last 10-100x longer no problem. And if people would dispose of their old batteries properly, handle them safely and properly, and learn some other basic things, then the industry could start using other materials which would provide much more power and last much longer; just, they are highly toxic and horrible for the environment and are currently not allowed due to regulations (rightfully so).
    05-19-2011 11:02 PM
    so all i need is $1000 eh? do you accept checks? haha.
    05-19-2011 11:36 PM
    so all i need is $1000 eh? do you accept checks? haha.
    $1000 produced on large scale :0 . To make a single battery with the form factor of a cell phone, not having a production facility would cost a lot more!
    05-19-2011 11:40 PM
    $1000 produced on large scale :0 . To make a single battery with the form factor of a cell phone, not having a production facility would cost a lot more!
    name your price man... name your price. lol.
    05-20-2011 02:00 AM
    As someone who is a research scientists at Argonne National Labs (Argonne National Laboratory ... for a brighter future). The first National Lab of the nation (US), where much of the early nuclear research was done (though not well known). We developed some of the new battery technology in the Chevy Volt (Argonne battery technology helps power Chevy Volt).

I can tell you this; I always see people say "they need to work on better batteries". Well, a lot of really smart people are. It is hard, it is a limit of physics and chemistry; totally new approaches are having to be developed.

Also, if you were willing to pay $1000 for a cell phone battery, sure, I can make it last 10-100x longer no problem. And if people would dispose of their old batteries properly, handle them safely and properly, and learn some other basic things, then the industry could start using other materials which would provide much more power and last much longer; just, they are highly toxic and horrible for the environment and are currently not allowed due to regulations (rightfully so).
    I'm glad someone's said it. It's much easier to make components smaller and more efficient than it is to create mass-produceable battery technologies with higher output.
    05-20-2011 08:57 AM
    I'm glad someone's said it. It's much easier to make components smaller and more efficient than it is to create mass-produceable battery technologies with higher output.
    so how about keeping the phones the same size, the internal smaller, but increase the battery size.

how many times will a manufacturer keep the same form factor (or close to it) on the next model, put the smaller components and increase the battery size?
    05-20-2011 11:51 AM
    so how about keeping the phones the same size, the internal smaller, but increase the battery size.

how many times will a manufacturer keep the same form factor (or close to it) on the next model, put the smaller components and increase the battery size?
    I agree, but perhaps battery life isn't the draw that having more technology is. Also consider that a lot of manufacturers use the same batteries in numerous models, so having a larger battery for a few models would be costlier. This is one area where I think Apple got it right, and I wish the industry would move away from the idea of pushing more tech down our throat as we see so often with Android, and towards the idea of making reliable devices that are easy to use. But again, if you consider that fact that most smartphone users probably aren't on their phone all day, it's probably not as high a priority compared to high megapixel count cameras and multicore processors.

But honestly, i'd love to be able to get on average 25% more battery life out of my devices. That would be about a day for me. I'm going to wait and see if I pick up an HD7S before ordering an extended battery for my Focus. I think the battery life is fine, but for those of us who use the phone for everything, "fine" doesn't cut it.

I'm also looking at something like this:

Amazon.com: Duracell Instant Power Charger for USB Compatible Devices: Electronics

I've been without my wall charger enough times for it to be annoying, and charging via USB on my work computer actually seems to drain the battery faster. And on the Focus, removing the battery cover frequently enough will lead to the tiny pins in the cover breaking off. I've already got one broken pin now, though it stays in place.
    05-20-2011 01:06 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD