High End WP7 Phones

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am currently an AT&T customer with a family plan. Two phone currently off contract and two more in July. I have been doing extensive research on all of the platforms as I consider our next purchases. I initially started off heavily biased towards Android. However, I am now leaning just as heavily towards WP7. Why:

- Went to the store to try the interface and really like it.
- I like the integration with Office.
- I perceive there will be better integration with Hotmail.
- Kids love xBox
- I perceive it to be a more secure platform.

My question is where are the high end phones with massive screens? Android seems to get better hardware. Is that because Mango is so close that manufacturers are waiting for it? I really want a WP7 phone with Droid Charge specs.

Would appreciate any insight.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
At this time Microsoft has strict requirements for these phones. I fully expect that there will be added hardware support for high end devices but at this point MS wants all the devices to have very similar specs. High end hardware is necessary for and OS like Android but but the duel core processors and things like that aren't necessary with WP7. I would like to see some of the new bigger high resolution screens. For now the Samsung devices have a really nice offering if thats what your looking for. To answer your question WP7 devices wont get higher end hardware until MS changes the hardware requirements. Some added hardware support will come with Mango.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am currently an AT&T customer with a family plan. Two phone currently off contract and two more in July. I have been doing extensive research on all of the platforms as I consider our next purchases. I initially started off heavily biased towards Android. However, I am now leaning just as heavily towards WP7. Why:

- Went to the store to try the interface and really like it.
- I like the integration with Office.
- I perceive there will be better integration with Hotmail.
- Kids love xBox
- I perceive it to be a more secure platform.

My question is where are the high end phones with massive screens? Android seems to get better hardware. Is that because Mango is so close that manufacturers are waiting for it? I really want a WP7 phone with Droid Charge specs.

Would appreciate any insight.
At this point on a controlled OS there is no point in differentiation of hardware power in the point of view of the manufacturers. Microsoft made the OS optimized on specified hardware (which isn't exactly the latest) so the OS will technically run the same on the required hardware or above so in reality extra horsepower is pretty much just a waste of money. The only thing I can see a manufacturer adding more power is if they advertise it as a "gaming phone" or something to that effect. But for the most part its useless so don't expect to see anything "bleeding edge". As a matter of fact the latest specs dropped from 1 GHz to 800 MHz (2nd Gen of course) but yeah that's how it is... Regardless of that though the OS feels way better and more fluid than Android probably ever will.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
At this time Microsoft has strict requirements for these phones. I fully expect that there will be added hardware support for high end devices but at this point MS wants all the devices to have very similar specs. High end hardware is necessary for and OS like Android but but the duel core processors and things like that aren't necessary with WP7. I would like to see some of the new bigger high resolution screens. For now the Samsung devices have a really nice offering if thats what your looking for. To answer your question WP7 devices wont get higher end hardware until MS changes the hardware requirements. Some added hardware support will come with Mango.

well i mean there is the hd7 4.3 inch screen, then in a few months the hd7s for at& t with the same screen size, but with an amoled screen..thats abt the standard size of massive right now

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The hd7s is going to have a Super LCD screen, not AMOLED.

But yes, it will be huge and powerful with a really damn nice screen.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the insight.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
At this point on a controlled OS there is no point in differentiation of hardware power in the point of view of the manufacturers. Microsoft made the OS optimized on specified hardware (which isn't exactly the latest) so the OS will technically run the same on the required hardware or above so in reality extra horsepower is pretty much just a waste of money. The only thing I can see a manufacturer adding more power is if they advertise it as a "gaming phone" or something to that effect. But for the most part its useless so don't expect to see anything "bleeding edge". As a matter of fact the latest specs dropped from 1 GHz to 800 MHz (2nd Gen of course) but yeah that's how it is... Regardless of that though the OS feels way better and more fluid than Android probably ever will.
Thanks. You make some really good points. The smoothness of the operating system really impressed me. I don't need the extra processing power as much as a bigger screen and higher resolution.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
well i mean there is the hd7 4.3 inch screen, then in a few months the hd7s for at& t with the same screen size, but with an amoled screen..thats abt the standard size of massive right now
Thanks. You are correct about that being a big screen. I would just really like that on a real 4G phone. The HTC HD7s is the one I am leaning toward.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I hope Sprint gets a WP7 device with big 4.3 inch screen like the HD7s. I would snach one of those up quick.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us

Not quite true. Microsoft has set MINIMUM specs, not maximums. And those specs, for this chassis, a 800x480 screen, a specific button configuration, and a 1 gig proc, among others. I would wager that the reason we aren't seeing something more powerful is that the manufacturers want to guage interest before investing more expensive parts.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nokia should release a super phone. Something that will not want to competed with Android but with Apple. I mean why is the Iphone 4 that small, that light, has great battery power and a really good screen at an affordable price and you are forced to choose any of those stuff from your droids and wp7 phones? I want everything on it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
**** 4G, 3G is still adequate for alot of things. but of course u have the spec haters who don't acknowledge that
Why 4G. It drinks battery acid and by the end of the year all US carriers will probably have tiered pricing, and there is already a 4G upcharge on most. All that capability, and you need to be plugged into the wall, plus you cant afford to download much. Bring me more widespread free WiFi and screw 4G and 3G.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why 4G. It drinks battery acid and by the end of the year all US carriers will probably have tiered pricing, and there is already a 4G upcharge on most. All that capability, and you need to be plugged into the wall, plus you cant afford to download much. Bring me more widespread free WiFi and screw 4G and 3G.

Or maybe someone can focus on advancing battery technology for a change you hear SAMOLED+, Super LCD, dual-core, 1.2 GHz, 1.5 GHz, blah blah blah... But you never hear battery tech advancing...

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Nokia should release a super phone. Something that will not want to competed with Android but with Apple. I mean why is the Iphone 4 that small, that light, has great battery power and a really good screen at an affordable price and you are forced to choose any of those stuff from your droids and wp7 phones? I want everything on it.

The Omnia7 is larger because of the larger screen, which i count as being better than the iphone4, yet it is only 1g heavier, so a 4" iphone4 is likely to be significantly heavier. It's personal preference but i prefer the lower resolution SuperAMOLED screen of the Omnia to the higher resolution LCD screen of the iphone4. Battery life doesn't seem to be too different to me, i get a day of use out of both though i use the dark theme on the Omnia.

Really i think the Omnia (Focus) hardware package is better than that of the iphone4.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Not quite true. Microsoft has set MINIMUM specs, not maximums. And those specs, for this chassis, a 800x480 screen, a specific button configuration, and a 1 gig proc, among others. I would wager that the reason we aren't seeing something more powerful is that the manufacturers want to guage interest before investing more expensive parts.
Good point. It is almost like which comes first, the chicken or the egg. If someone came out with a killer WP7 phone that might drive interest. There was no iPhone interest intensity before the it hit the scene. However, I think you are probably right.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site

You are right about how expensive it is going to get. More free wifi would be great.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe someone can focus on advancing battery technology for a change you hear SAMOLED+, Super LCD, dual-core, 1.2 GHz, 1.5 GHz, blah blah blah... But you never hear battery tech advancing...

I agree. Aside from Apple, most aren't concerned with battery life. The battery on the iPhone 4 is ridiculously good. Nokia, at least from when I used to use those devices were also top in that category.

With this Microsoft + Nokia deal, I expect to get the excellent battery life and the high-end parts that a lot of the high-end devices have now. One other thing I expect from Nokia is an excellent camera.

My only concern with Nokia is the touch screen accuracy and responsiveness.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa