High End WP7 Phones

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
To clarify the WP7 specs, this is off of Microsoft's site:

Each Windows Phone will contain the following hardware elements:

A large WVGA (800 x 480) format display capable of rendering most web content in full-page width and displaying movies in a cinematic aspect ratio.

Capacitive 4-point multi-touch screens for quick, simple control of the phone and its features.

DirectX 9 hardware acceleration for crisp graphics and exciting audio and video.

A standard suite of sensors - A-GPS, accelerometer, compass, light, proximity - for interacting with the phone’s location, orientation, and environment.

A digital camera.

A common set of hardware controls and buttons that include the Start, Search, and Back buttons.

Support for data connectivity using cellular networks and Wi-Fi.

256 MB (or more) of RAM and 8 GB (or more) of flash storage.

Source

These aren't minimum specs, these are the specs. If it's not listed (i.e. CPU), then there is probably no minimum requirement.

Michael.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Or maybe someone can focus on advancing battery technology for a change you hear SAMOLED+, Super LCD, dual-core, 1.2 GHz, 1.5 GHz, blah blah blah... But you never hear battery tech advancing...
I'm sure scientists somewhere are working on new battery advancements, but, really, there are only so many elements in the periodic table and combinations of such that are viable right now. Unless, of course, you don't mind a nuclear reactor in your pants, then maybe... :p

Also, we have heard of battery-related advancements relatively recently with inductive chargers. Additionally, there're these fun things: Flexcell - Outdoor & Camping

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure scientists somewhere are working on new battery advancements, but, really, there are only so many elements in the periodic table and combinations of such that are viable right now. Unless, of course, you don't mind a nuclear reactor in your pants, then maybe... :p

Also, we have heard of battery-related advancements relatively recently with inductive chargers. Additionally, there're these fun things: Flexcell - Outdoor & Camping
I know there are some really impressive technologies out there, the one that impressed me the most was the battery cells that charge fully within a couple of minutes. What I meant was that no OEM is taking the initiative to use these technologies or help move them forward.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Why is there no reason not to have a 1.5Ghz processor in a windows phone. I'm sure the next gen hardware will have dual processors. So why is a dual core 1Ghz reasonable, but a single core 1.5Ghz isn't?
Unfortunately I would be willing to bet money that this one isn't true. Look at the first two responses to this thread. There is no reason whatsoever to have a 1.5 GHz processor in a windows phone. As for the camera that does seem to be a bit believable. They're probably going to turn out to be Android phones.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
^There's a Dell phone that is pretty long, I think is the Dell Streak. It should work great with WP7 since you can get access to more titles.

Anyway I'm kinda worry that we haven't seen new phones in almost a year. Will companies abandon WP7? =(

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's what he has, the Streak. I love it, and it would a nice WP7.
^There's a Dell phone that is pretty long, I think is the Dell Streak. It should work great with WP7 since you can get access to more titles.

Anyway I'm kinda worry that we haven't seen new phones in almost a year. Will companies abandon WP7? =(

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why is there no reason not to have a 1.5Ghz processor in a windows phone. I'm sure the next gen hardware will have dual processors. So why is a dual core 1Ghz reasonable, but a single core 1.5Ghz isn't?
Its needlessly wasting power when the OS is already optimized for 800 MHz (2nd Gen) or 1 GHz and above. As of now there is nothing software wise that would warrant the use of such power, therefore needlessly wasting money on the manufacturing of the device.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Higher quality games will require more processing power. All the more graphic intensive apps will need more processing power. Opening app will be faster, switching back and forth from tombstoned app will be faster. I can't see any negatives. Battery life will be the same, if they use a larger batter, which is all but a given.
Its needlessly wasting power when the OS is already optimized for 800 MHz (2nd Gen) or 1 GHz and above. As of now there is nothing software wise that would warrant the use of such power, therefore needlessly wasting money on the manufacturing of the device.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
with mango coming, its likely that it can be true, but a 4.7 inch screen? that's just short of a Dell streak.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 via Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Higher quality games will require more processing power. All the more graphic intensive apps will need more processing power. Opening app will be faster, switching back and forth from tombstoned app will be faster. I can't see any negatives. Battery life will be the same, if they use a larger batter, which is all but a given.
While that all may be true, the OS is already quick enough as is. Literally the only advantage is gaming (I had even said that on my original reply at the beginning of the thread). I don't see many games that demand much power RIGHT NOW, after mango that MIGHT be a different story, but its still too early to tell. Regardless I don't see the OEMs wasting money on something like that. I think HTC is headed in the right direction with camera innovation for Windows Phone, if the 16 mp device comes out with a real lens and a decent sized digital image sensor then they may have a real good marketing point for that device.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Higher quality games will require more processing power. All the more graphic intensive apps will need more processing power. Opening app will be faster, switching back and forth from tombstoned app will be faster.

You're absolutely right, the problem i see is that it creates hardware fragmentation unless they have definitive 'generations'. You don't want people having to look at phone hardware specs to decide whether an app will run well or not and having to go through and understand those specs when buying a phone.
Better to do it the Apple way and have Gen1 specs, Gen2 specs, etc... that way you get the latest generation and can be assured that apps will work on all phones adhering to that spec and not just a specific phone.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am probably wrong about this, but I think I have seen the folks on Precentral swear up and down that a faster CPU = more efficient battery usage = longer lasting battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs