High End WP7 Phones

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I am probably wrong about this, but I think I have seen the folks on Precentral swear up and down that a faster CPU = more efficient battery usage = longer lasting battery.
maybe because you can complete tasks faster, which means the device isn't being used as much? i'm not an expert at all, but if it's the case, i'm guessing that may be part of their argument.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am probably wrong about this, but I think I have seen the folks on Precentral swear up and down that a faster CPU = more efficient battery usage = longer lasting battery.

That only works if the CPU is more efficient. If it's just faster (higher clockspeed) then sure you complete tasks faster, but you use more power doing it.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
As someone who is a research scientists at Argonne National Labs (Argonne National Laboratory ... for a brighter future). The first National Lab of the nation (US), where much of the early nuclear research was done (though not well known). We developed some of the new battery technology in the Chevy Volt (Argonne battery technology helps power Chevy Volt).

I can tell you this; I always see people say "they need to work on better batteries". Well, a lot of really smart people are. It is hard, it is a limit of physics and chemistry; totally new approaches are having to be developed.

Also, if you were willing to pay $1000 for a cell phone battery, sure, I can make it last 10-100x longer no problem. And if people would dispose of their old batteries properly, handle them safely and properly, and learn some other basic things, then the industry could start using other materials which would provide much more power and last much longer; just, they are highly toxic and horrible for the environment and are currently not allowed due to regulations (rightfully so).

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
As someone who is a research scientists at Argonne National Labs (Argonne National Laboratory ... for a brighter future). The first National Lab of the nation (US), where much of the early nuclear research was done (though not well known). We developed some of the new battery technology in the Chevy Volt (Argonne battery technology helps power Chevy Volt).

I can tell you this; I always see people say "they need to work on better batteries". Well, a lot of really smart people are. It is hard, it is a limit of physics and chemistry; totally new approaches are having to be developed.

Also, if you were willing to pay $1000 for a cell phone battery, sure, I can make it last 10-100x longer no problem. And if people would dispose of their old batteries properly, handle them safely and properly, and learn some other basic things, then the industry could start using other materials which would provide much more power and last much longer; just, they are highly toxic and horrible for the environment and are currently not allowed due to regulations (rightfully so).
I'm glad someone's said it. It's much easier to make components smaller and more efficient than it is to create mass-produceable battery technologies with higher output.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad someone's said it. It's much easier to make components smaller and more efficient than it is to create mass-produceable battery technologies with higher output.
so how about keeping the phones the same size, the internal smaller, but increase the battery size.

how many times will a manufacturer keep the same form factor (or close to it) on the next model, put the smaller components and increase the battery size?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
so how about keeping the phones the same size, the internal smaller, but increase the battery size.

how many times will a manufacturer keep the same form factor (or close to it) on the next model, put the smaller components and increase the battery size?
I agree, but perhaps battery life isn't the draw that having more technology is. Also consider that a lot of manufacturers use the same batteries in numerous models, so having a larger battery for a few models would be costlier. This is one area where I think Apple got it right, and I wish the industry would move away from the idea of pushing more tech down our throat as we see so often with Android, and towards the idea of making reliable devices that are easy to use. But again, if you consider that fact that most smartphone users probably aren't on their phone all day, it's probably not as high a priority compared to high megapixel count cameras and multicore processors.

But honestly, i'd love to be able to get on average 25% more battery life out of my devices. That would be about a day for me. I'm going to wait and see if I pick up an HD7S before ordering an extended battery for my Focus. I think the battery life is fine, but for those of us who use the phone for everything, "fine" doesn't cut it.

I'm also looking at something like this:

Amazon.com: Duracell Instant Power Charger for USB Compatible Devices: Electronics

I've been without my wall charger enough times for it to be annoying, and charging via USB on my work computer actually seems to drain the battery faster. And on the Focus, removing the battery cover frequently enough will lead to the tiny pins in the cover breaking off. I've already got one broken pin now, though it stays in place.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There are definitely areas of Windows Phone that could use a higher clock speed. App launches ect....

What I don't understand is some of the jagged scrolling that occurs mostly in apps where it's loading in data. They need to figure out how to streamline that better. It didn't happen nearly as much or at all on Android. Whether or not it's a CPU issue or not, I don't know.

But when the processing speeds get faster, we can get better and more innovative applications and games. Fragmentation, yeah yeah, but I think it's okay if you make a small leap year by year if you're cutting people off on the beginning of the 3rd year.

The 1 Ghz Snapdragon has been pretty standard for over a year now actually.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs