How to get rid of a Windows Live account in Settings

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Help! In Settings->email&accounts, I have a Windows Live account entry and a Windows Live 2 account entry. How do I get rid of the first one which has a Windows Live ID that is not valid? TIA!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Tap and hold on the account you want to delete. A drop down menu will appear and then you can choose the delete option.

awarner

May 19, 2011
Visit site
If you had the first account setup and using the Xbox Live function I'm not sure if deleting the account will delete the Xbox account from the phone presumably it will? I've not tried that myself so be interesting to hear what happends. Previously when playing with accounts on my HD7 I ended up just doing a reset in Settings/About/Reset my phone and then reinstalled everything the way I wanted it.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Tap and hold on the account you want to delete. A drop down menu will appear and then you can choose the delete option.

when I tap and hold, the only option I get is "sync"

If you had the first account setup and using the Xbox Live function I'm not sure if deleting the account will delete the Xbox account from the phone presumably it will?

no Xbox Live involved

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You will probably have to do a factory reset. That first Live ID setup is critical.

Aye. The live/hotmail account you use to setup the phone initially is what your phone is tied to for cloud services, app store purchases ect. You can't remove it without resetting the phone.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried putting fake credentials in the second (real) account and then putting the credentials for the real account into the second account? From there, you should be able to delete the second account. I would think that the phone details are locked to an account, not a specific instance of an account, although I've never had to test this.

Last edited:

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried putting fake credentials in the second (real) account and then putting the credentials for the real account into the second account? From there, you should be able to delete the second account. I would think that the phone details are locked to an account, not a specific instance of an account, although I've never had to test this.

How do you put fake credentials? The only credential I see is the userid, and the problem is the userids for both Windows Live accounts are not editable. I'm trying to recover the password for the 1st Windows Live userid which should tell me if it's good or a bad account. If it's a bad account, then I'm screwed and have to reset my phone.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting what you guys are saying to do.

The 1st ID is the bad ID and I don't know the password to be able to use it. The 2nd ID is a good ID and I have the password and actually this is the one I prefer to use.

What should I do?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would just reset the phone and start anew. It doesn't take but a minute, but you do have to redownload your apps ect. Make a list of them, then reset imo.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
yep, gave up finally. couldn't supply enough ID to let MS reopen the account for me. reset the phone and had to re-download everything. The one problem I did have was my People list was gone. Just 5 old phone numbers. I have my old Captivate and it still works and I have my old SIM BUT I can't find an option to import from SIM in the Focus.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What if I want to sell/give away my phone when I get an upgrade? How do I delete everything so that the next user account will be the main one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786