WP needs better hardware.

nyc_rock

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have been scoping out WP for a while now. I have to tell you, I really love the interface. I think this platform has an amazing future. Microsoft did it right. The went right down the middle of Apple and Android.

With that said, where is the next gen devices? Faster processors, more RAM, FF Camera, expandable memory? WP7 devices are already outdated. Microsoft needs a trophy device and it simply doesnt exist. I think its great that Microsoft made minimum hardware requirements. Its just that all the MFG's seemed content with the minimum. Im hoping Nokia breaks through with some great hardware. Something to get excited about. That, couple with Mango would really give the entire platform a shot in the arm.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Saw that and its great news. Problem is, god only knows when we will see it.

There are leaks daily on the next "greatest" android device. WP needs some buzz!!
Buzz from new hardware likely won't come until Mango. Otherwise, it'll be the HD2 all over again -- great hardware limited by software.

I'm content with the current WP7 hardware. I could always go for more built in memory or a better quality camera, but I'm not sure it makes sense to release a device like that until Mango.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't count on expandable memory too much, but FFC, Faster chips, More internal Memory will likely come with Mango devices. OEM's aren't going to release a bunch of high end phones till then.

wolfman-fu

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Well the way the UI and the wp7 OS works, we do not need high powered CPUs in them to be smooth and fast. So I would not say that the wp7 hardware is behind any of the other OS's out there.

Also it appears that Android actually runs a VM on all the devices called Dalvik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_(software) and it is this need for faster and more powerful hardware. Though this is all way over my head and there is more info on this out there.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Gotta power more than just the OS. Apps/Games could benefit. [as stated in a different thread]
Well the way the UI and the wp7 OS works, we do not need high powered CPUs in them to be smooth and fast. So I would not say that the wp7 hardware is behind any of the other OS's out there.

Also it appears that Android actually runs a VM on all the devices called Dalvik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_(software) and it is this need for faster and more powerful hardware. Though this is all way over my head and there is more info on this out there.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

wp7 definitely does not need faster chips as it is to run smooth. It is by far the most responsive OS i've ever seen. But faster (and more power efficient chips) will not only run the phone & potential games faster, but require less battery power to do so. And will be needed for future games/entertainment architecture.

FFC's will come, and are something many people want. More internal memory will also come, and is sorely needed imo. 16GB should be minimum, and we should see 32 & 64GB devices this year/early next year (nokia most likely).

Android is just poorly coded, and does not have an accelerated OS which is why it stutters so much.

You will see the same kind of rapid OEM competition in hardware post-Mango / once wp7 sales start increasing and gaining share.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea I'd try a WP7 device out. The hardware isn't underpowered. Games look great and everything is fast and silky smooth. Sure it's no quad cored 800MP camera device that Android has, but the OS doesn't need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans