Rumor: So apparently tomorrow's presentation is going to be Software only.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Terrible conference. No new phones and Dell appears to be out =(.

It was a conference specifically about the next software update, lack of new phones is hardly a surprise. What exactly is it that you want in a new phone? Im more interested in them making my current phone more capable than giving me new hardware.

When Apple do their iOS events no-one gets angry that they don't release a new iphone every time.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I want new phones because I want to be looking forward to some new WP7 excitement. As much as I love my LG, I'm curious to what will the bring out next. The most exciting thing about Android is all the new and cool phones.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
that's what I am looking forward to. I am pretty happy with the feature set of NoDo, so all this Mango stuff is like icing on the cake for me. I DO however really really want a super good camera, and it seems like people give Nokia some props in this area. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

you have it a bit easier though, you're on ATT (if I'm not mistaken I remember seeing you post about your HTC Surround or something like that) and ATT being the "premier" carrier, I'm sure they'll be getting a Nokia for damn sure however I wanna have T-Mobile as long as I can before the switch over happens.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I want new phones because I want to be looking forward to some new WP7 excitement. As much as I love my LG, I'm curious to what will the bring out next. The most exciting thing about Android is all the new and cool phones.

Thats the thing though, Android is ALL about the new phones. It isn't about the software though which has kinda stagnated lately and hasnt shown much innovation.

WP7 on the other hand is very innovative and is constantly coming up with new things. The cool thing is that todays press conference was only the first part of the update and we will hear more about the complete feature set as the launch this fall gets nearer. WP7 is about having the same awesome expereince no matter what device you are running it on. That is the beauty of Windows Phone 7.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Thats the thing though, Android is ALL about the new phones. It isn't about the software though which has kinda stagnated lately and hasnt shown much innovation.

WP7 on the other hand is very innovative and is constantly coming up with new things. The cool thing is that todays press conference was only the first part of the update and we will hear more about the complete feature set as the launch this fall gets nearer. WP7 is about having the same awesome expereince no matter what device you are running it on. That is the beauty of Windows Phone 7.
exactly... google I/O had nada. even with all this hardware, why does it matter if the devices aren't taking full advantage of it? my atrix is waiting for the gingerbread to take full advantage of the dual cores.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys but I'm very Adamant about the subject. I want to see new phones, they could at least show a silhouette behind each company.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys but I'm very Adamant about the subject. I want to see new phones, they could at least show a silhouette behind each company.
Well we might not be seeing any new devices for another month or two. I personally don't care much for the new phones the only new hardware I want to see are the Nokia devices.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's great if you are on AT&T but what about Verizon users stuck to the Throphy, what if you are in Sprint and want touch only phone with a bigger screen, what if you are in T-mobile and you have zero interest in HD7.

More options means more phone sales. Not even leaks man ='(

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
That's great if you are on AT&T but what about Verizon users stuck to the Throphy, what if you are in Sprint and want touch only phone with a bigger screen, what if you are in T-mobile and you have zero interest in HD7.

Companies don't want to release new phones too soon or else they will lose money on the development and manufacture of older phones. Give it a month or two and we will see all kinda of leaks and fuzzy, blurry shots of rumored devices. This is the way it always is.

Baka

May 5, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, all the Android phones bore me. Black slab after black slab. I'm a heavy texter/email writer and a physical keyboard is a MUST have. Android has almost no options for that, and the last one to come out is almost half a year old.

The only thing I wish my Arrive had was a FFC so I could talk to my kids during the day. For all of android's selection they have exactly ONE phone with a FFC and physical keyboard - the Epic. And that phone can't last three hours without needing a 10 hour recharge. No thanks.

I'm hopeful that with the Skype purchase and Nokia's and HTC's excellent physical keyboard track record, my dream phone is on the way. Until then, software upgrades to my already excellent Arrive are all I need to stay excited.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Companies don't want to release new phones too soon or else they will lose money on the development and manufacture of older phones. Give it a month or two and we will see all kinda of leaks and fuzzy, blurry shots of rumored devices. This is the way it always is.
This is exactly why I said it'll take a month or two.

That's great if you are on AT&T but what about Verizon users stuck to the Throphy what if you are in Sprint and want touch only phone with a bigger screen, what if you are in T-mobile and you have zero interest in HD7.

I know what you mean about the AT&T peeps being lucky but that's what we have to live with, that is the company Microsoft chose to be the "premier partner" so they're the ones that are going to be getting the most phones first. As to why Microsoft chose AT&T even though they already know the iPhone ****ed their network up is beyond me.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

but suppose you're on at&t and don't want any of the 3 offered? we could play the maybe's all day long. heck, suppose you're on sprint and don't want the few android devices they have. or on t-mobile and have no choice of webOS? or on verizon/t-mobile/sprint and can't get a cheap iPhone 3GS for $50.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
That's the least exciting thing about Android to me. It's like the thing that happened with PCs. Oh, you got this state-of-the-art system? It's not state-of-the-art as of the end of this sentence. Sucks to be you!

Thankfully, PC "growth" is more stable now and I could get one for years and upgrade a few components without feeling like I wasted money on an out-of-date brick. I wonder if/when Android will ever stablize like that. You spend all this money for the latest and greatest that ends up not being the latest or greatest next week and you're either stuck with it for 2 years or you spend a lot to keep yourself "happy."

On that, I believe there was a study done that said consumers who don't replace their electronics that often are much happier than those that always have to have the latest and greatest. And it makes sense since the keepers enjoy their current device while the replacers constantly spite their current device in favor of the next one.

I hope MS and the OEMs don't copy Android because, otherwise, new releases just end up being white-noise. Actually, I wish MS and the OEMs would release all their handsets at the same time and feature them in an event (sort of like Apple releasing one iPhone, making their customers feel validated enough with their purchase that they continue to be loyal). I think it'd create a bigger buzz and people who bought in the same year as other people don't feel like they made a mistake by not waiting a month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos