Mango is Windows 7

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I an just reflecting kb the says events and thinking .... Todays event very much resembles the feeling about win7. Its pretty impressive to to see such jump in feature set... It makes IT and technology fun. I'm stoked to see MS catch up so quickly.. They are really very nimble when they are pressed to compete.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading well before Windows 7 came out that MS was going to align the desktop and phone OS versions. They want them to be in sync.

To me, this doesn't make much sense. WP7 doesn't even have "windows." It's more about hubs and tiles. They should have called it ZuneOS or something. It would seem even more revolutionary if it wasn't dragging around the Windows public perception.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Rhody, I disagree. I believe Microsoft is trying to get the public's perception of Windows, and it's namesake back in the forefront of innovation. They want to shed away the years of mediocrity. They started with the Xbox (and subsequently the Kinect), then the Zune HD, then Windows 7 and now Window Phone 7. I applaude them for trying to create a cohesive and robust ecosystem, which they are doing in spades!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading well before Windows 7 came out that MS was going to align the desktop and phone OS versions. They want them to be in sync.

To me, this doesn't make much sense. WP7 doesn't even have "windows." It's more about hubs and tiles. They should have called it ZuneOS or something. It would seem even more revolutionary if it wasn't dragging around the Windows public perception.

WP7 doesn't have windows because it has hubs and tiles? what kind of sense does this make? I'll tell you. None. Windows is a Brand not what the software is.

anyway, for educational purposes:
Windows is named Windows : But Why? | But Why? | Channel 9

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd say windows public perception has gone up significantly with Windows 7. It really was a home run, and Windows 8 is already exciting. I can't wait to see the Metro & Silverlight influence across my Laptop/Desktop, Xbox and Windows Phone.

I think Microsoft has a bit of an advantage by coming late to the mobile/tablet game, which sounds weird, but because they didn't rush it, they are able to really interweave all their platforms together much more cohesively. I think long term, MS will have the much better ecosystem. Apple started this whole new frontier, but now they are stuck with their mobile being a completely different OS with no real overlap between them, and the inability to run full fledged software on their tablets. Googles Android is already a duct taped mess, and different versions for tablets & phones, then Chrome OS.....where do I even begin. Googles products always lack the 'polish' that MS & Apple have shown. Windows 8 will be full fledged on computers & tablets alike, and you will have not only better cross platform syncing between all these devices, but better cloud services (and better overall design imo).

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
WP7 doesn't have windows because it has hubs and tiles? what kind of sense does this make? I'll tell you. None. Windows is a Brand not what the software is.

anyway, for educational purposes:
Windows is named Windows : But Why? | But Why? | Channel 9

That video says they chose the name Windows because "it more accurately described the graphical boxes, or 'windows,' that were a fundamental part of Microsoft's new operating system" (new being in 1983).

WP7 doesn't have windows. True statement.

WP7 has hubs and tiles. True statement.

I'd like to help you make sense of this. What in particular are you having trouble understanding?

WP7 is a very new experience. It bears no resemblance to the operating system they debuted in 1983. It has as much in common with DOS as it does Windows from 1983.

A common criticism of Windows Mobile was that it was derived from a desktop OS and wasn't very efficient. It kept changing from WindowsCE to Windows Mobile and so on, but it wasn't evolving the way iOS and Android did. So they made a huge jump with WP7. Google and Apple didn't name their operating systems LinuxMobile or Linux Phone 9. My opinion is that Microsoft should not have kept the Windows name for a phone OS. My opinion is that they would have been better served by calling it ZuneOS or Metro.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Rhody, I disagree. I believe Microsoft is trying to get the public's perception of Windows, and it's namesake back in the forefront of innovation. They want to shed away the years of mediocrity. They started with the Xbox (and subsequently the Kinect), then the Zune HD, then Windows 7 and now Window Phone 7. I applaude them for trying to create a cohesive and robust ecosystem, which they are doing in spades!

I agree with you that Microsoft is doing a good job of garnering good public perception for the name Microsoft, but they didn't call the Xbox360 the "Windows Game 7" and they didn't call the ZuneHD the "Windows Media Device 7." In fact, don't they call the OS for the ZuneHD "ZuneOS"?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
They are trying to cohesively tie all their Windows Live systems together, and calling everything a different name just confuses consumers. Thats why they leverage the brand name Windows. Windows was conceived out of a literal "window", but is no longer just about that. It is the biggest brand name Microsoft has, and is instantly recognized.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
They are trying to cohesively tie all their Windows Live systems together, and calling everything a different name just confuses consumers. Thats why they leverage the brand name Windows. Windows was conceived out of a literal "window", but is no longer just about that. It is the biggest brand name Microsoft has, and is instantly recognized.

I understand why they did it. I'm sure they have plenty of smart marketing people. I simply disagree with their conclusion for the reasons I stated above. In a way, Blackberry is suffering from a similar problem. People say that patching the same antiquated operating system is what is holding them back.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you that Microsoft is doing a good job of garnering good public perception for the name Microsoft, but they didn't call the Xbox360 the "Windows Game 7" and they didn't call the ZuneHD the "Windows Media Device 7." In fact, don't they call the OS for the ZuneHD "ZuneOS"?
That's true, but in those instances, they are completely unrelated to computing, while a smart phone, especially WP7, is arguably more like a pocket computer. Thus, the windows moniker applies. Still though, I know what you mean, it's just that they are trying to bring everything together without having too many brands. In the end, I believe this will be a moot point if Microsoft continues their remarkable turnaround spearheading their way to WP8.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That video says they chose the name Windows because "it more accurately described the graphical boxes, or 'windows,' that were a fundamental part of Microsoft's new operating system" (new being in 1983).

WP7 doesn't have windows. True statement.

WP7 has hubs and tiles. True statement.

I'd like to help you make sense of this. What in particular are you having trouble understanding?

Yes, its called windows because its a Graphical User Interface and at the end of the day windows is the brand and not just a description of the product.. Should Android be called Android then? It has nothing to do with robots.

say what? the Xbox was named after Direct X technology... there WERE people that wanted to go with the Windows Moniker but they lost because they felt it wasn't a name that would be meaningful to the audience.

If I remember correctly zune got its name because they started with tune and added the z to sound cool. Wasn't it Argo before release? I think almost Xpod at one point.

As for ZuneOS that term doesn't exist that i've ever seen. I thought Zune was Windows Embedded? anyway, with the rumors of the Zune re brand it may all be moot.

one question though.. why are you adding 7 to everything? Devices that even predate 7. I'm pretty sure the '7' at least in part comes from Windows Embedded 7 kernel hybrid

Last edited:
Reactions: wolf1891

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
one question though.. why are you adding 7 to everything? Devices that even predate 7. I'm pretty sure the '7' at least in part comes from Windows Embedded 7 kernel hybrid

I have a question for you. Why do you argue with a person's opinion? Do you just argue about everything? (you argued with my opinion in another thread too)

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a question for you. Why do you argue with a person's opinion? Do you just argue about everything? (you argued with my opinion in another thread too)

well, technically you are arguing with Canesfan625 about his/her opinion so one could ask you why you are doing the same thing you are accusing Canesfan625 of doing.

btw, I didn't see it as an arguement so much as just a discussion of two different viewpoints on naming standards.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
well, technically you are arguing with Canesfan625 about his/her opinion so one could ask you why you are doing the same thing you are accusing Canesfan625 of doing.

btw, I didn't see it as an arguement so much as just a discussion of two different viewpoints on naming standards.

I first stated my opinion in the third post of the thread before Canesfan posted. Vallos and I had a civil discussion with different viewpoints. Canesfan was just attacking my opinion and I defended it.

But you're right. I'm foolish for engaging in such a childish waste of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss