What theme do you use?

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait till angry birds came out make it redder. Also this is really lame but I try to have my zune picture close to my theme and thankfully the Red Hot Chilly Peppers zune picture has a red background so it makes me phone look really aggressive. I love it.

I do the same thing. I switch between these two custom colors and always try and keep my Zune picture AND pictures hub background somewhat coordinated:

6ieio0.jpg

2yts2zt.jpg

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
White background with pink accent, sounds gay but I like it hahaha. Love the white for sure tho especially the keyboard

Sent from my htc trophy using Board Express
i've done dark and pink, but light and pink did look pretty good. i only use dark over light because it's better on the battery life.

edit: i'm as manly as they come... but i love the color pink. one of men's best friends is that color ;)

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I love the black and red. But HTC and Verizon decided the Trophy was unworthy of a great screen, so the black wasn't black enough for me. So I currently use blue and white.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
The biggest priority for me is having a high contrast between the background and tiles. So, a dark color (e.g. brown or red) on a black background loos awful to me. The two combos I like the best are dark/orange and white/red. I'll have to try pink, though, after all the endorsements here.

@rpm5101, that is a bad-a$$ color scheme. Care to share how you got there (I'm developer unlocked as well). Thx.

-R

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The biggest priority for me is having a high contrast between the background and tiles. So, a dark color (e.g. brown or red) on a black background loos awful to me.

Guessing you have one of those AMOLED screens, because dark red on black looks fantastic. And the dark red accent text in texts, email, IE, etc., looks great too. With the lighter accents I couldn't read any of the text.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
@rpm5101, that is a bad-a$$ color scheme. Care to share how you got there (I'm developer unlocked as well). Thx.

-R
Thanks! It was all done through registry tweaks. The biggest things to change are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ControlPanel/Themes/1 (or 0 if using Light theme)

• PageBackgroundColor - this is the background color for the home screens (brown in my case)
  • TextNeutralColor - this is the color of the text on the home screens
  • ChromeColor - this is the grey you see behind the keyboard, behind the options of the bottom menu, and in the menu when you turn the volume up/down

Going into the Accents folder here brings you to the color of your tiles (among other things). Each is numbered, and each number represents a different theme:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Themes\0\Accents]
    "0"= AccentId ;0 - Green
    "1"= AccentId ;1 - Red
    "2"= AccentId ;2 - Blue
    "3"= AccentId ;3 - Yellow ;Id 4 - Used by OEMs
    "5"= AccentId ;5 - Pink ;Id 4 - Used by OEMS
    "6"= AccentId ;6 - Brown
    "7"= AccentId ;7 - Lime
    "8"= AccentId ;8 - Teal
    "9"= AccentId ;9 - Purple
    "10"= AccentId ;10 - Magenta

When accessing these registry values, you will notice that their Dword values are in decimal form. Using any hexadecimal-to-decimal converter online, you can change these accents to any color you please. Just make sure you don't enter any hexadecimal values here (if you aren't sure what I'm talking about, PM me). Do not change the value of the accent that you are currently using.

You will need to tweak other, smaller registry values to your liking (like most of the other text keys), but it really is pretty simple to do. Trial and error. To see any of the registry changes that you have made, switch your phone from Light to Dark or from Dark to Light and then back to where it was.

Last edited:

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Guessing you have one of those AMOLED screens, because dark red on black looks fantastic. And the dark red accent text in texts, email, IE, etc., looks great too. With the lighter accents I couldn't read any of the text.

Are you suggesting there's something wrong with AMOLED screens? :straight: They're known as the best looking screen on WP7....especially compared to your Surround's screen. But yeah, I don't know why he thinks dark colors on a black background don't look good, it looks fine on my Focus! Oh, and I can read texts against a light accent color, I'm guessing you have one of those WVGA screens. :happy:

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you suggesting there's something wrong with AMOLED screens? :straight: They're known as the best looking screen on WP7....especially compared to your Surround's screen.. :happy:

Not at all. When I played with the devices on launch day I will admit I was already partial to HTC devices, but I did try to be objective with the Focus. Aside from it feeling a little light to me (guess that comes from owning a few tanks) the screen appeared oversaturated, like someone turned the contrast on their TV way too high, compared to the more familiar Surround. I may have gotten used to it over time but it was not a deal breaker for me. I think all WP devices are good and won't steer anyone away from a device (except maybe DVP and Focus v1.4). Just try all that are available and take your pick.

My comment was more directed at understanding why darker colors would not be appealing. I have tried orange, lime and pink accents and can't really see the white text through the colors on the tiles or the colored text within apps. May just be the difference (not better or worse) in screens.

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying you don't like the AMOLED screen because it's more vibrant? Here are some reviews of the Surround's screen:

cNet HTC Surround Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
It's crisp and bright, but colors don't quite pop off the screen as they do on the Samsung Focus' Super AMOLED screen.

Engadget HTC Surround review -- Engadget
While the display is commendably bright and vibrant -- we actually thought it was a bit too bright at the lowest setting -- it's still not up to the standard set by the iPhone 4 and Samsung's Super AMOLED devices. On a phone built for video playback, that's sort of an issue, and it's one that's on Microsoft to solve -- WP7 doesn't support higher resolutions yet. It's also telling that even Microsoft refers to the Samsung Focus as having the best display of the Windows Phone 7 launch lineup -- side by side the Surround's screen is more color accurate, but somewhat more washed out.

Phone Arena HTC Surround Review - Phone Arena
Blessed with such a healthy sized display, we can't find too many issues regarding it aside from the fact that it doesn't look quite as stunning compared to the Super AMOLED panel used with the Samsung Focus.

Just sayin'.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying you don't like the AMOLED screen because it's more vibrant? Here are some reviews of the Surround's screen:

cNet HTC Surround Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Engadget HTC Surround review -- Engadget

Phone Arena HTC Surround Review - Phone Arena

Just sayin'.
Not suggesting one way or the other. Different strokes for different folks. Reviews are good to zero in on things but nothing like touch and feel, which I did in this case. As I said, maybe its my untrained eye. If there were two Surrounds offered, one with AMOLED and one without, I probably still would have gone with the without. But your mileage may vary. That's why it's nice that we all have choices.

Reactions: rpm5101

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel