NooB here, moving from a iPhone 4.

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey wpcentral! Really excited about Windows Phone, especially mango. I realize that mango won't be available until the fall, but I'm ready to switch now. I'm on att, and I'm looking at either the focus or the HD7S. My question is, if I take my sim from my iphone 4, put it in adapter, then put it into the hd7s, will it work? Also, will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan, or will I have to give it up?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes it should work. I traded my ip4 for a Focus and it worked. I didn't have the unlimited data plan, so I'm not sure how that would work. Good luck!

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey wpcentral! Really excited about Windows Phone, especially mango. I realize that mango won't be available until the fall, but I'm ready to switch now. I'm on att, and I'm looking at either the focus or the HD7S. My question is, if I take my sim from my iphone 4, put it in adapter, then put it into the hd7s, will it work? Also, will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan, or will I have to give it up?
Welcome to wpcentral! Now the thing is... It depends on whether you're buying the device full retail or signing a contract for it... If you're signing a contract, you can't beat free for the focus (iirc it is now free). If you're buying retail you may as well go the extra ?100 bucks for the HD7S as the screen is almost up to par with the focus s-amoled but the screen real-estate is nice (I have an HD7) really it is up to you the the best way to check is to go to a store and test both devices out for yourself (HD7S is almost out) the OS is consistent so both will feel the same in terms of OS performance, where it'll differ is how the screen feels while navigating the oh so beautiful UI so for example; typing on the keyboard on the focus might feel different from the HD7S and other small details like that but then again it is the small things we should appreciate. What I can tell you though is you will be impressed by the OS I haven't met a person that wasn't. In the end even if you end up returning the device because you feel it's not for you, it'll still leave an impression of knowing that it can only get better (especially with mango around the corner :D)

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes it should work. I traded my ip4 for a Focus and it worked. I didn't have the unlimited data plan, so I'm not sure how that would work. Good luck!

Good man! Good man! I didn't see your "previous devices" list but I see you've had both of the "good" generations of the iPhone, I'm wondering... How is WP7 doing for you?

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd be paying retail for which ever windows phone i get. I dont' have a upgrade for awhile. So are you saying that the hd7s will retail for $500??

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Seeing that I'm not a heavy app user. I'm liking my Focus better. Even with the present shortcomings, I prefer Wp7 OS over iOS. The live tiles are awesome and the unique GUI is a breath of fresh air. Zune Pass is the killer feature for me, I absolutely love it. I have a upgrade option coming soon, and it will be a WP7 phone of some sort!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd be paying retail for which ever windows phone i get. I dont' have a upgrade for awhile. So are you saying that the hd7s will retail for $500??
500-ish yeah... Okay now that I know you're paying retail... Let me ask you this; how "giddy" are you about Windows Phone? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being "just curious wanna experience it first hand" to ten being "I've done my homework and already love it!"

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Seeing that I'm not a heavy app user. I'm liking my Focus better. Even with the present shortcomings, I prefer Wp7 OS over iOS. The live tiles are awesome and the unique GUI is a breath of fresh air. Zune Pass is the killer feature for me, I absolutely love it. I have a upgrade option coming soon, and it will be a WP7 phone of some sort!

Ah that's what's up! I'll be getting a second gen device too. I'm wanting a Nokia and I might be making the jump to AT&T too.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has impressed me with their beautiful screens! I'm hoping they actually release a 4.3" phone.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has impressed me with their beautiful screens! I'm hoping they actually release a 4.3" phone.

If its the amoled screens you like you should still look at Nokia they love the amoleds. Oooh and if I'm not mistaken... You were one of the guys clamoring for more powerful hardware right? Nokia really really wants to use dual-cores with WP7 :D

Edit: oh and I do believe Samsung has a 4.3 planned for WP7 (rumor of course but which one of those hasn't panned out yet? Lol)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I like Nokia phones. Can't wait to see their first batch of phones. I actually posted a like about Samsung releasing a 4.7" Monster! I'd be all over that. Lol.

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
500-ish yeah... Okay now that I know you're paying retail... Let me ask you this; how "giddy" are you about Windows Phone? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being "just curious wanna experience it first hand" to ten being "I've done my homework and already love it!"

I'd say a 9. I realize that it won't have all of the features iOS does, but honestly I don't care. I'm really bored with iOS and I want something new. I was really tempted by android, but I hate their way of business. "This may not work with this", "you may not be able to upgrade to that". It's dumb. I mean they just now got netflix, and even that isn't going well because it's only on select phones. As far as Windows Phone goes, I became interested when I decided to watch the Mango conference because I had to write an article about it. As soon as I saw how tight they plan to integrate the phone into the apps, and vice versa, I was sold. Android kind of does app integration, but not in the way that MS plans to.

The only real good thing about iOS is the apps. Other then that, I don't really find that much keeping me on the iPhone. It seems like Apple hasn't done much innovation since they changed the smartphone market with the original iphone. Also, I don't like how apple makes me wait for features that other platforms already have. My biggest iOS annoyance is the notification system, or the lack of one. For a company that likes to mock Microsoft, it's a little confusing as to why they use dialog boxes to alert me I have a notification. It reminds me a lot of the yellow triangle with the exclamation through it from the windows 95 dialog boxes.

So here I am, looking to buy my first windows phone. I was really hoping it wouldn't cost me more then $400, because even that is a lot for a phone. Maybe I will just get a focus from ebay, and use my upgrade on a windows phone 7 that ships with mango. My upgrade is in october, so that kind of lines up nicely...

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I like Nokia phones. Can't wait to see their first batch of phones. I actually posted a like about Samsung releasing a 4.7" Monster! I'd be all over that. Lol.

Yeah I remember now... Really though? That's already blurring the line between big phone and small tablet... I know I'm gonna jump in the tablet market but with Windows 8. With Windows Phone I think 4.3 is too perfect. Plus, think about how crappy the pixel density will be with a 4.7" 480x800 res screen...

I'd say a 9. I realize that it won't have all of the features iOS does, but honestly I don't care. I'm really bored with iOS and I want something new. I was really tempted by android, but I hate their way of business. "This may not work with this", "you may not be able to upgrade to that". It's dumb. I mean they just now got netflix, and even that isn't going well because it's only on select phones. As far as Windows Phone goes, I became interested when I decided to watch the Mango conference because I had to write an article about it. As soon as I saw how tight they plan to integrate the phone into the apps, and vice versa, I was sold. Android kind of does app integration, but not in the way that MS plans to.

The only real good thing about iOS is the apps. Other then that, I don't really find that much keeping me on the iPhone. It seems like Apple hasn't done much innovation since they changed the smartphone market with the original iphone. Also, I don't like how apple makes me wait for features that other platforms already have. My biggest iOS annoyance is the notification system, or the lack of one. For a company that likes to mock Microsoft, it's a little confusing as to why they use dialog boxes to alert me I have a notification. It reminds me a lot of the yellow triangle with the exclamation through it from the windows 95 dialog boxes.

So here I am, looking to buy my first windows phone. I was really hoping it wouldn't cost me more then $400, because even that is a lot for a phone. Maybe I will just get a focus from ebay, and use my upgrade on a windows phone 7 that ships with mango. My upgrade is in october, so that kind of lines up nicely...
Oooooooh, that changes everything! With an October renewal date yeah buy yourself a Craigslist/ebay focus then with your upgrade I'd highly recommend Nokia, their hardware is of top notch quality and their Carl Zeiss optic equipped cameras will really make other OEMs seem (almost) obsolete.

hammerhand

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan, or will I have to give it up?

You can keep your unlimited plan. I've had mine through four or five phones and seven years now. Started off with an old Motorola V400, then to a V551, a replacement V551, Samsung BlackJack, replacement BlackJack, BlackBerry Bold 9700, and now my lovely Samsung Focus haha. When extending my contract and going to and from the BlackBerry the sales rep at AT&T had to add and remove the BIS service from my account. I'm not sure how it's set up for the iPhone, but yeah, it could be as easy as swapping SIMs. It never hurts to stop in and talk with a rep next time your near an AT&T store.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Grab a focus off ebay/craigslist for $200 or so and renew contract with subsidized phone in Fall since there will be a slew of new phones coming out with Mango when your contract ends. Thats what I did, and will either upgrade to one when Mango comes out, or wait till I see what Nokia is doing if none of them are exactly what I want.

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, ya I guess I'll just wait. Waiting sucks so bad though lol. I guess I'll do that, I'll grab a cheap focus and wait until october. So is the focus a pretty good phone? Also, how sure are you guys that nokia will have stuff this year? All these sites are saying different things. If @Luisraul924 is right, I will jump on that. I would love to have a camera that good in my phone.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, ya I guess I'll just wait. Waiting sucks so bad though lol. I guess I'll do that, I'll grab a cheap focus and wait until october. So is the focus a pretty good phone? Also, how sure are you guys that nokia will have stuff this year? All these sites are saying different things. If @Luisraul924 is right, I will jump on that. I would love to have a camera that good in my phone.

Nokia will likely release 'something' by the holidays, but most of their phones will come in 2012 starting with a first wave in the first quarter. But the focus (or any current phone) will take good care of you even if you wait until early 2012 to buy on contract.

The Focus is a great phone. Great performance, and great screen. Grab a thin case for it like this one: Amazon.com: Smoke Argyle Candy Skin Case for Samsung Focus: Cell Phones & Accessories since the casing on the Focus is a little thin/light. Makes it feel much better/stronger. The focus has a very high satisfaction rating and I personally think its the best phone on AT&T (and the only solid bar/non sliding phone until the HD7S coming in June). The screen alone makes it worth it imo.

Samnsung also has much better camera optics than HTC in general, and the Focus is no exception.

When you get one off ebay/craigslist make the seller open up the case and look under the battery. If it says "rev 1.4" don't buy it. For some reason, this batch has had update issues and still doesn't have the NoDo update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo