06-03-2011 06:54 PM
38 12
tools
    How can I view which apps are using live tile feature. I need to delete some apps. I just downloaded a kickass RSS reader, and its giving me a error message " ..live tile limit exceeded.."

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    06-01-2011 12:08 AM
    You need an unlocked phone to delete the entries in the registry. I hope there is an end user fix for this with Mango, but hopefully this gets addressed sooner. For further information on this issue check this article out: Hey Microsoft, what's up with those Live Tiles?
    06-01-2011 03:40 AM
    Thanks. I might just pay the 99 bucks and get my devices unlocked.

06-01-2011 07:07 AM
    Thanks. I might just pay the 99 bucks and get my devices unlocked.

See if you can find a code for a Dream Spark account (I believe what it is called). It is free to students. Student in college? Know any nerd friends in college? See if they can get ya one! heh
    06-01-2011 08:06 AM
    Apps I have loaded:
    100 pushups
    200 Situps
    Alien News
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon.com
    Birdsong
    BoardExpress Pro
    Cocktail Flow
    Craigs 7
    eBay
    ESPN ScoreCenter
    Facebook
    Feed Me
    Flixster
    GoVoice
    Imagewind
    IMDB
    Miso
    MyNetQ
    Netflix
    Photogram
    Rowi
    RunSat
    ShopGlider
    SHopSavvy
    Song Tweeter
    SuperTube
    Twitter
    USA Today
    Weather Channel
    WikiPanda
    WPCentral
    YouTube

I The ones in BOLD are the ones I thought were the only one with push and live tiles? I'm below ten, yet some still are not working. I'm not even logged into BirdSong or Rowi. What's the deal, anyone?
    06-01-2011 08:29 AM
    Does Calls, Email, Text and pinned contacts count?
    06-01-2011 09:09 AM
    No, they don't count.
    Does Calls, Email, Text and pinned contacts count?
    06-01-2011 09:22 AM
    No, they don't count.
    I've deleted birdsong and rowi. Still no luck. Now WPCentral app isn't displaying anything on the live tile.
    06-01-2011 10:30 AM
    My WPCentral live tile went back to its normal logo too after showing a couple of live changes, why would that be ?
    06-01-2011 10:34 AM
    Yeah, that's what mine did. I just asked Jay what was the deal with that, on the Official WPCentral thread.
    My WPCentral live tile went back to its normal logo too after showing a couple of live changes, why would that be ?
    06-01-2011 10:41 AM
    Yes sorry, I seem to be stalking you 1jaxstate1 LOL
    06-01-2011 10:48 AM
    From your list I know for sure the following have live tiles:
    Birdsong
    eBay
    Flixter
    Rowi
    Weather Channel (works as both push/pull tile)
    Problem is, most apps turn on the push/live tile option the first time you open it, which I have been asking developers to stop doing, at least till the whole live tile mess is resolved.

You have probably built up a bunch of discarded Endpoints keys in your registry and now even by deleting apps, these keys will not be removed. To further complicate things, many apps disconnect/reconnect occasionally from the push channel, but if no new keys can register, a live tile that was working yesterday can stop working tomorrow without doing anything.

In a recent post in the Microsoft Developer Forum a MS employee has acknowledged a problem with endpoint registry keys not being removed after an app is disconnected/deleted an it has been corrected for the next OS build (Mango) but no solution for current users. Your only choices are a hard reset, or dev unlock and manually removed the left over registry keys. It sucks and I would have hoped that MS would have put out a patch but I suppose the don't consider it that important. I do.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    06-01-2011 11:01 AM
    I was wonder if some of the endpoint were not getting cleared, even after a app is deleted. MS should issue some type of update for the immediately! I have a Registry editor loaded on my phone. Could I reset the endpoint using that?
    From your list I know for sure the following have live tiles:
    Birdsong
    eBay
    Flixter
    Rowi
    Weather Channel (works as both push/pull tile)
    Problem is, most apps turn on the push/live tile option the first time you open it, which I have been asking developers to stop doing, at least till the whole live tile mess is resolved.

You have probably built up a bunch of discarded Endpoints keys in your registry and now even by deleting apps, these keys will not be removed. To further complicate things, many apps disconnect/reconnect occasionally from the push channel, but if no new keys can register, a live tile that was working yesterday can stop working tomorrow without doing anything.

In a recent post in the Microsoft Developer Forum a MS employee has acknowledged a problem with endpoint registry keys not being removed after an app is disconnected/deleted an it has been corrected for the next OS build (Mango) but no solution for current users. Your only choices are a hard reset, or dev unlock and manually removed the left over registry keys. It sucks and I would have hoped that MS would have put out a patch but I suppose the don't consider it that important. I do.

06-01-2011 11:07 AM
    Btw, only third party apps count towards the 15, but that includes apps with live tiles and those that only provide push notifications. And apps like Flixter and eBay will register to your push channel even if you only open them once and never look at the again. Plus, if your registry key balance is already out of whack (ManagedEndpoints vs. Endpoints) deleting these apps will not remover the required left over registry keys. Flixter is one of very few apps that will actually remove the offending key if you disable the live tile feature.

You also don't need 15 push/live tile apps to have a problem. As some apps will disconnect/reconnect after a soft reset for example, a single app can be responsible for 3, 4 or more left over registry keys. Some apps may be worse then others at this, but of the 20 I have tested, they all do it. To be clear though, if Microsoft implemented the fix described in my previous post, apps disconnecting/reconnecting would not(theoretically) be a problem. Disconnmecting/reconnecting is still an issue that needs attention, but it would not shut down all your tiles. You would only need to open the app to wake the tile up again.

1jaxstate1 likes this.
    06-01-2011 11:13 AM
    Do you know if they plan on addressing this issue. Or, as it seems to be the answer to everything WP7 related, do we have to wait for Mango. >:(
    Btw, only third party apps count towards the 15, but that includes apps with live tiles and those that only provide push notifications. And apps like Flixter and eBay will register to your push channel even if you only open them once and never look at the again. Plus, if your registry key balance is already out of whack (ManagedEndpoints vs. Endpoints) deleting these apps will not remover the required left over registry keys. Flixter is one of very few apps that will actually remove the offending key if you disable the live tile feature.

You also don't need 15 push/live tile apps to have a problem. As some apps will disconnect/reconnect after a soft reset for example, a single app can be responsible for 3, 4 or more left over registry keys. Some apps may be worse then others at this, but of the 20 I have tested, they all do it. To be clear though, if Microsoft implemented the fix described in my previous post, apps disconnecting/reconnecting would not(theoretically) be a problem. Disconnmecting/reconnecting is still an issue that needs attention, but it would not shut down all your tiles. You would only need to open the app to wake the tile up again.

06-01-2011 11:17 AM
    I was wonder if some of the endpoint were not getting cleared, even after a app is deleted. MS should issue some type of update for the immediately! I have a Registry editor loaded on my phone. Could I reset the endpoint using that?
    If you have a Registry Editor, you have two choices. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\Endpoints and delete the entire Endpoints key (and everything in it). Don't worry I will come right back. Soft reset you phone and simply open/close all you apps with live tiles and twy will reregister.

Second option: go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PushClient\ManagedEndpoints and open each key. Drill down one level and you will find an entry labeled Cookie. Record the first 8 characters for each of these entries, one per Managed Endpoints key. Now, open the Endpoint key and individually delete each subkey, NOT associated with the cookie references you recorded. This option takes more time but only deletes the offending (dead) subkey. I keep a running list so its a bit easier for me.

Both methods work though. The important thing is to get ManagedEndpoints to equal Endpoints, so like 8 of each. If matched, they will say that way probably till your next soft reset. If unmatched, Endpoints will continue to grow, but won't kill tiles till it gets around 20+.

1jaxstate1 likes this.
    06-01-2011 12:02 PM
    Do you know if they plan on addressing this issue. Or, as it seems to be the answer to everything WP7 related, do we have to wait for Mango. >:(
    At least part of the issue will be resolved with Mango, but not sure of they fully understand all of the issues that exist. So while I am hopeful this wil turn in to a bad memory, I fear they have not turned over every stone after finding the big issue, and something may linger. Hope I am wrong though.

06-01-2011 12:07 PM
    Yeah, that's what mine did. I just asked Jay what was the deal with that, on the Official WPCentral thread.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay just posted on his Twitter...

''For those wondering, your live tile is still working, there's just no story been published as live-tile worthy at this time''

So it seems the live tile reverts to the default after a certain time.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    06-01-2011 12:20 PM
    At least part of the issue will be resolved with Mango, but not sure of they fully understand all of the issues that exist. So while I am hopeful this wil turn in to a bad memory, I fear they have not turned over every stone after finding the big issue, and something may linger. Hope I am wrong though.

At the very least it is a step in the right direction and yes I hope you're wrong about any lingering issues :P
    06-01-2011 12:36 PM
    Crap!!! So my registry editor doesn't work anymore. So I'm stuck having to do a factory restore every time this **** happens, which can happen any given time without warning. How is this not a critical issue and they are not releasing a fix. So all in all, live tiles don't work worth a ****, SMH.
    06-01-2011 01:49 PM
    Crap!!! So my registry editor doesn't work anymore. So I'm stuck having to do a factory restore every time this **** happens, which can happen any given time without warning. How is this not a critical issue and they are not releasing a fix. So all in all, live tiles don't work worth a ****, SMH.
    Yes, it sucks. And I have been telling people that more than likely, until Mango becomes available as an update hopefully by Oct/Nov, pretty much every WP user is going to experience push/live tile issues. That's inevitable. Another big issue is that users will continually ***** to developers who can't do anything to solve this issue on their own, resulting in bad reviews and lost sales. That, plus the negative user experience for a highly promoted feature, should be enough for Microsoft to take action before Mango comes around. I think this stands up there with c&p or Marketplace crashes, so maybe it deserves its own update.

06-01-2011 05:18 PM
    Looks like material for a dubious class action lawsuit.

06-01-2011 06:13 PM
    Looks like material for a dubious class action lawsuit.

not even! its also the fault of the developers too for poorly implementing live tile support in their apps. all the apps I use have properly working live tiles and push except for the FIM messenger. I have miyowa live messenger,weatherbug and had flory IM but it would always crash so i uninstalled it. but the live tiles work flawlessly with these apps.
    06-01-2011 06:42 PM
    yeah. I was bull****ting. But should have some type of fail safe or something. And from the previous post above mine. Seems MS shares some blame.

06-01-2011 07:08 PM
    some but not nearly enough for a class action lawsuit, u had like 2 or 3 twitter apps installed when only 1 is necessary so I see where the conflict could come from there. there's some apps that are just buggy like the lyricsnowplaying app that doesn't work for crap, the dailymotion app that always crashes on login or when accessing favorites. there's some pure chingadera out there.
    06-01-2011 07:19 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD