Quick questions from a new user

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just got the phone today, and have a few quick annoyances that maybe you guys could help me with:

1) Is there a way to make enter send a text instead of having to hit the "send" button? The send button isn't as easily located and slows you down.

2) Speaking of, I get the callback number from all Verizon users. This didn't happen on my old phone. I'm not too keen on the text features on this phone right now, anyway (why are both sides one color? why don't I get a D next to a text for delivered? Delivery notification is instead an entirely new text that sounds a notification. Damn I miss the D/R from BBM.) Getting the callback number is infuriating. I know it's an option on some phones to send, but I wasn't receiving it from these same users on my old phone, so it's something about WP7.

3) Calendar snooze is 5 minutes? No way to change that? 5 minutes is utterly useless. I like to set reminders for myself during the day to be taken care of when I get home. I'll just throw a random time in when I may be home. If I'm not I hit snooze. On my old phone I had it set for 30 minutes, which was reasonable. On this phone it's reminding me before I can get the phone back in my pocket.

Honestly, that last one may be a dealbreaker. I'm sure I can get a 3rd party app, but not having it built into the OS is obnoxious. There has to be a fix, or at least one coming in Mango. I love most everything else about the phone, but I'm baffled as to why there are so few settings we can change. Why are so many variables hard-coded in?

Oh, wait:
4) It pulls pictures for my contacts from Facebook. Fine, I love that it lets me ignore 99% of my facebook list, but why does it store the pictures in such low res? The pictures look like garbage even when the float through the People tile; when they're blown up for a phonecall it's like 1995 calling.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
First lets get your post one the appropriate forum. What phone do you have I am assuming the Trophy on Verizon?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are going to have a little transitioning from BB ;) The OS update in fall is bringing 500+ features, and some of those could be a part of it, but:

What is this verizon call back number? I'm on AT&T so never seen what it is.

The text being the same color is odd at first, but you quickly get used to it. In the OS update in fall yours will be a different shade.

Calendar snooze. I hear ya. I am hoping this is coming with the update in fall.

Don't think you'll be able to use the enter key to send, and I'm not personally aware of any way other than the send button. At least as the OS is right now.

Not sure what the reason for poor facebook pictures is. Its some sort of a formatting issue like with Gmail contacts. I know if you use Gmail for your contacts you get the same thing because it reformats the pictures for its tiny contact photo inside the web based gmail, then sync's that back to your phone. Even on Android you would see the same thing.

So if you are using gmail to sync your contacts, thats probably it. If you put them in hotmail, and redo the photos, they should remain sharp. So try this:

remove facebook account
Transfer gmail contacts to hotmail on your pc/over the web.
Uncheck the contacts sync with your gmail account
Sync the gmail account to remove these contacts
Sync the live account
add facebook account again

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yup, but these are general OS questions, aren't they?

Sure that works for me. This statement confused me "Speaking of, I get the callback number from all Verizon users" made me think this would be better surged in the Trophy forum but after a re-read I get your point and will leave it here.

Welcome to the WPC forums you got a great phone there.

:ninja: Dave

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are going to have a little transitioning from BB ;) The OS update in fall is bringing 500+ features, and some of those could be a part of it, but:

What is this verizon call back number? I'm on AT&T so never seen what it is.[/b]

Yeah. Hopefully it'll be fixed. It's a huge eyesore with no value. I'll bug Verizon about it.

The text being the same color is odd at first, but you quickly get used to it. In the OS update in fall yours will be a different shade.

That'll be nice. An odd oversight on their part.

Calendar snooze. I hear ya. I am hoping this is coming with the update in fall.

I hope so as well, but couldn't find anything. Since Mango has quite a few business features I'd guess they absolutely need this. 5 minutes makes a calendar completely worthless.

Don't think you'll be able to use the enter key to send, and I'm not personally aware of any way other than the send button. At least as the OS is right now.

Another weird one. I'd guess they'd change this, too, as it just isn't overly intuitive.

Not sure what the reason for poor facebook pictures is. Its some sort of a formatting issue like with Gmail contacts. I know if you use Gmail for your contacts you get the same thing because it reformats the pictures for its tiny contact photo inside the web based gmail, then sync's that back to your phone. Even on Android you would see the same thing.

Yup, fixed that, mostly, thanks to the main site. Still some seem lower resolution than in Facebook, but I'll keep digging.

Thanks for all your help!
Definitely a learning curve, and some of the functionality loss is driving me nuts. Ending calls is more difficult than it should be, getting into speakerphone is more difficult than it needs to be, the lack of a dedicated phone button in hardware is just a bad decision, but the snappiness of the OS and speed of the internet is miraculous.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yah tons of functionality is coming in fall, but I don't think you'll see much in terms of a hardware phone button like on blackberries ect. I missed that for a long time, and still do, but all the main touch interfaces lack this (android, wp7, iOS) at this point. The snappiness is quite amazing, especially with 2 generation old hardware (all current phones). It will get even quicker with the Mango update, and mobile IE9 is looking like a huge upgrade as well.

BB's are excellent phones, and make things like phone calls/messaging/typing emails quite pleasurable, but lack in many other areas.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
why gmail uses such terribly low quality pictures for contacts really confuses me.

i have almost 8GB of space for my email, but google can't let me use 100mb or so of it for high res pictures? fail.

unsyncing gmail for contacts fixed that for me not only on my focus, but my iphone 4 as well.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yah tons of functionality is coming in fall, but I don't think you'll see much in terms of a hardware phone button like on blackberries ect. I missed that for a long time, and still do, but all the main touch interfaces lack this (android, wp7, iOS) at this point. The snappiness is quite amazing, especially with 2 generation old hardware (all current phones). It will get even quicker with the Mango update, and mobile IE9 is looking like a huge upgrade as well.

BB's are excellent phones, and make things like phone calls/messaging/typing emails quite pleasurable, but lack in many other areas.

sadly, that is the ONLY thing that is relatively nice on a blackberry. nearly EVERYTHING else sucks so hard that when i used a storm2 for a week, i was begging for ANY modern smartphone to replace it.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
why gmail uses such terribly low quality pictures for contacts really confuses me.

i have almost 8GB of space for my email, but google can't let me use 100mb or so of it for high res pictures? fail.

unsyncing gmail for contacts fixed that for me not only on my focus, but my iphone 4 as well.

Yah I don't know why they do that. They do a lot of odd things with their email & calendar. Like they just decided not to finish the stuff beyond the actual email part.

sadly, that is the ONLY thing that is relatively nice on a blackberry. nearly EVERYTHING else sucks so hard that when i used a storm2 for a week, i was begging for ANY modern smartphone to replace it.

I used BB's for a long time and loved those parts, but yes the rest of the phone was lacking pretty severely.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone find a fix for the "Call Back #" signature? It happens only from Verizon Wireless customers and looks like only on the Trophy since it's on Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte