Wp7 not selling well

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Why so negative seams you picked the only bad news in the article to title your thread. WP is going to pick up just hang in there a few more months. Every finger from article I've read is pointing up but you can bet there will be a sharp decline in everything sales, development all that in anticipation of the launch of Mango.

M2C
:ninja: Dave

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Because people like yourself, only seem to point it the positives, while ignoring the faults. We call it, balance, where I'm from. Its always roses and lollipops on your threads.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It will. Its not really surprising. I think they kind of pushed the OS out with basic functionality just to get a small fanbase & decent application market before they release Mango which turns it into a full fledged smart phone. The first release was kind of a 'soft' release, and Mango will be its 'hard' release, to quote some article I read earlier. I do think we will see some massive marketing come fall, which will combine into showcasing Windows Phone along with Windows 8 come late 2011/early 2012.

MS is in it for the long haul, and there are issues keeping it from selling:

1. Store employees actively steer people away from windows phone to Android/iPhone (big problem. MS needs to come down on these carriers as they should be completely unbiased at the sales point).
2. Hardware works great but there needs to be some higher quality phones with more 'wow' factor. Don't need dual core, but need to have some high end phones for sure. Mango will be such a huge improvement I can guarantee most if not all the OEM's will have one or two flagship devices that could draw people in.
3. Needs more features (Mango)
4. Needs a massive marketing push to show those who only know about Android & iPhone that there is something else. Something different. But different in a good way. They really need to show how great the UI is, and how easy to navigate it is. I do think we will see a large advertising push come Mango.

Microsoft knows what they are doing, and they want to make sure they have everything they wanted to have ready upon initial release before they really push it. Because they will have to win people over, and while the UI is leagues beyond the others, you also need the features. Mango brings this in spades. They took a big risk with a completely different approach to mobile, and I think they have a winner. When all those new features hit, and Nokia adds their NavTeq data & ovi maps, there is nothing out there that will be able to touch the experience MS offers (imo).

Android had a similar early phase of sales, and now that there are TWO giant platforms which dominate, so MS has an even tougher time. But I really can see where this platform is going, and do believe it will eventually take over large market share. Mango will bring the features, MS kick its advertising arm into high gear, and us users will have all the ammo we need to show people what its really capable of at that point. Add into the mix the integration you will see with MS cloud services, zune, xbox, windows 8 on tablets/pc's, and people will definitely start to move over from the other platforms.

Reactions: starblade876

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Woah woah don't fight my WPfriends. 1jaxmacbuffsexyman was just sad because the OS he bet on it is not perfoming as well as he would like to. He is sad because he care and he may be afraid of Microsoft taking out support and killing something great.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Nobody is fighting ;)

The sales are low, but honestly expected. Even most analysts agree that over the course of the next few years MS will take over iOS marketshare. The future is bright, and MS took a slow start making sure everything worked great, and will make massive push come fall & into next year along with Windows 8.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sales are low because for some odd reason, damn near everyone wants an Android phone. MS should hire googles marketing team. I rarely even hear much talk about iPhones anymore.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well Is not hard to know why. Android has the phones. I love the G2 design, lots of people like the Droids, The Galaxy line up is doing amazing.

The phones are what bring the people up. The HD2 sold a lot and is still selling well because of the phone, not because of Windows Mobile 6.5.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
WP is still new. Even Android was a joke until the Original Droid push from Motorola & Verizon. It will grow, and fall will be the kick start for the platform. For now, everybody is just waiting in preparation for that release. I know a lot of people planning on going to wp7, but are waiting for mango. It takes time to pull people away from what they know (android and iphone) and are comfortable with.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
They need to advertised speed, ease of use and integration. sure Xbox and Office is great but when I show people my phone and they see how seamless everything is, they think is great.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Most existing users are on 1, 2 & 3 year contracts. Last Fall Microsoft planted the seeds of their new OS, basically tell existing users to stay tuned. Along the way they picked up 2-4M early adopters, or WP advocates. Also a good thing, and probably planned from the start. This coming Fall, with new devices, new OEMs, and a feature rich OS (Mango) the real push begins. Don't underestimate the potential that is Microsoft.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess their expectations were more hopes, but I'm sure AT&T and microsoft knew there was a possibility that they wouldn't do iOS numbers on release. If you think about it, Verizon isn't going to push Windows because they are in love with Android. AT&T is mad at Apple and Apple mad at AT&T... my boy was told no one could order iPhone devices in his store for company devices and that the choice was pretty much windows, blackberry (torch) or the Inspire.

I do see the platform taking off, but I see it taking away from Windows Mobile's market share first, then WebOS before Android and iOS.

M$ (yup, haven't used this in a while... lol) has the advantage IMO. When people get Windows 8 on their machines, they'll be accustomed to the Metro UI and will eventually lead to more sales. I remember when I bought the original iPhone (release day) and after that day, I was dying to get a macbook pro and mac pro. It even lead to my boy getting a mac mini, then eventually a macbook pro. M$ (again... muahaha) is probably gonna go about getting more share the opposite way... more people have their OS and love windows 7 now (me being one) and after using 8, they'll be curious about the Metro UI on their mobile devices.

I prefer my windows phone over my atrix, inspire, aria, i4, torch, pre and probably some other phones I'm missing and that's without Mango. I'm into phones hardcore and I'm not biased to one brand, "just because". I have to enjoy it. Android... great phones and super hardware, but lags and gets slow like a lazy fat dog on a super hot summer day. iOS is cool, but the notifications suck @$$. It's annoying and even if that's what iOS5 will be focused on, for it to have taken 5 different OS implementations to do this, it left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Does anyone remember how Android started off? They didn't start selling well until the original Droid from Motorola on Verizon. Their app market was disgusting. And they went from BlackBerry look alike (the preview of their OS) to iOS's ugly twin on release day with widgets and a better notification system. A lot of people who got Android devices were looking for an iPhone, but didn't want to go on to AT&T or couldn't go to AT&T. This was the main reason Android was so successful, not to mention every service they had were free!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ikkf

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
They need to advertised speed, ease of use and integration. sure Xbox and Office is great but when I show people my phone and they see how seamless everything is, they think is great.

Spot on! I'm just not seeing advertisements for the features that make it so good, those differentiating features.
They need to advertise their strengths rather than the generic smartphone features.

Instead of 'hey i'm another smartphone OS, i look a bit different', they need to have a 'hey i have Office, XBox and Social network integration and do it all silky smooth'

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, The iphone does that and does it well.

We need something like. This is my phone and this is my people, I can call them, text them and see there status. what no way?! I have to tell Judy. Hey judy did you hear about frank? yeah man is nuts. check the picture.

all of that without opening an app. bla bla bla windows phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Because people like yourself, only seem to point it the positives, while ignoring the faults. We call it, balance, where I'm from. Its always roses and lollipops on your threads.

Fair enough, this is why I try not to pass my opinion on very often its better if I stay neutral. I am an admin at a WP site so I guess you could call me a fan boy at times it wont hurt my feelings. ;)

Soaked

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Sales are low because for some odd reason, damn near everyone wants an Android phone. MS should hire googles marketing team. I rarely even hear much talk about iPhones anymore.

Google has a marketing team for the Android? I haven't seem much about it in Canada. I'd figure Android was doing so well since it's been out for awhile now, which has let word of mouth become very effective for it (and that's it's a Google product). Hopefully when Windows Phone is more 'mature' it will get the same attention Android is getting and that MS keeps supporting it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium