Is anyone else worried that AT&T will release a bunch of new Mango phones before

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
they push the update out? I'm calling it now. They love to **** over their existing customers in order to pull in new ones.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm running off contract on AT&T right now, and if they take their sweet time like they have been with updates I will be leaving for greener pastures.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
they push the update out? I'm calling it now. They love to **** over their existing customers in order to pull in new ones.
We live in America my friend and what you described is a classic capitalist tactic. America is quite literally the definition of capitalism, however we're in luck, I don't remember who it was, but a suit at Microsoft said (in an interview) that its very likely that the update will be out before [Mango] devices are.

Edit: The reason I don't remember who it was that said that was because most of this stuff I read through the WP7 News app by seles games, and that app has many websites' feeds listed so if i can find it I'll post it.

Last edited:

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm running off contract on AT&T right now, and if they take their sweet time like they have been with updates I will be leaving for greener pastures.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, Microsoft seems dead set on getting this update out in the fall.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Which means Mango will go through 6 more weeks of OEM and carrier testing before it gets deployed to consumers.

Michael.
Yes and no; the update itself will likely "be ready" and code complete within a couple of weeks sometime in the early summer. With OEM and carrier testing happening between late summer and early autumn for a mid to late autumn release.

Edit: there were actually rumors stating that it was already RTM ready when they had the unveiling on the 24th, however Microsoft neither confirmed nor denied the rumors.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm hope they Don't screw us over like that. But I have a upgrade coming soon.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well sorry, but you have to be a dumb *** if you are going to buy a new phone from AT&T, specifically because AT&T is holding your update back a few weeks. And what if it does take 4-6 weeks to rollout the update. Is Windows Phone that crippled today that you cant wait a few week for an update.

Never mind, go out and buy the newest phone the day it's released. It will be good for WP sales and help with all those silly charts and surveys.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well sorry, but you have to be a dumb *** if you are going to buy a new phone from AT&T, specifically because AT&T is holding your update back a few weeks. And what if it does take 4-6 weeks to rollout the update. Is Windows Phone that crippled today that you cant wait a few week for an update.

Never mind, go out and buy the newest phone the day it's released. It will be good for WP sales and help with all those silly charts and surveys.

Okay... Who exactly is this aimed at? And is it hostile or sarcastic?

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand. Why would this be bad? Because the new phones would have Mango a little bit before the rest of us? If that's the reason, then that's just silly. Who cares, it'll get to us. It'll give people some time to figure out how to unlock it so that it's ready for when I get my hands on it. :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not just for Mango, but for the new Hardware. Bigger screens and what not. And not everyone want to wait for their update. If they up for a upgrade, why not.
I don't understand. Why would this be bad? Because the new phones would have Mango a little bit before the rest of us? If that's the reason, then that's just silly. Who cares, it'll get to us. It'll give people some time to figure out how to unlock it so that it's ready for when I get my hands on it. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay... Who exactly is this aimed at? And is it hostile or sarcastic?
Did I say that. Must have been that darn avatar sending out messages again while I wasn't paying attention. But really, if anyone is worried aout AT&T screwing them over (?) go out and buy a shiny new unbranded device and break the chains already.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did I say that. Must have been that darn avatar sending out messages again while I wasn't paying attention. But really, if anyone is worried aout AT&T screwing them over (?) go out and buy a shiny new unbranded device and break the chains already.

You know what's ironic about that though... So Microsoft wants to deliver the update in the fall to all users at the same time, that's great but then unlocked users will secretly still be at the mercy of the carriers as Microsoft won't be able to release the update until all carriers give the green light... Well it shouldn't be too bad if they keep the OEM and carrier approval process under wraps, maybe that's why they didn't confirm or deny the rumors of Mango being RTM at the unveiling on the 24th.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's almost guaranteed that ATT will push out some new Mango phones before updating the old ones. At that time I will either buy a new phone off contract, or jailbreak my current phone while saving up for a new phone.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's almost guaranteed that ATT will push out some new Mango phones before updating the old ones. At that time I will either buy a new phone off contract, or jailbreak my current phone while saving up for a new phone.
Tup be quite honest, I highly doubt that. Someone at Microsoft actually said that its highly likely that the update will be out before the actual devices are. The new devices will still have their own selling point, the updated hardware itself is a selling point enough to get a new customer, while rolling the update out in a timely fashion will please their early adopters.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
As history has shown with AT&T, going way back to Window Mobile 6.0, they suck at getting devices updated. I also saw that Mango had been RTM, but I don't believe it.
Tup be quite honest, I highly doubt that. Someone at Microsoft actually said that its highly likely that the update will be out before the actual devices are. The new devices will still have their own selling point, the updated hardware itself is a selling point enough to get a new customer, while rolling the update out in a timely fashion will please their early adopters.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
As history has shown with AT&T, going way back to Window Mobile 6.0, they suck at getting devices updated. I also saw that Mango had been RTM, but I don't believe it.
Well this isn't Windows Mobile. Microsoft is taking a completely different approach to this, including with the carriers, anything less than this type of dedication then the platform deserves to fail. Although I also doubt that the specific build that they showed off was the RTM release it doesn't automatically mean that they don't have a later build back in Redmond. The good thing is that OEMs don't take as long as carriers to optimize the build for devices. Leaving the carriers a good 5 months to test away. With NoDo, I believe AT&T took about two months for the surround (last phone to update) for them to finish testing, now I'm judging this amount of time from the finishing point of OEM optimization, which was sometime in march as that's when it was released to unsubsidized devices. I'm not entirely sure if they'll release the update to unsubsidized first again but if they do then that would probably happen sometime in the summer with the subsidized devices getting it in the fall. I'm more than positive they aren't going to go through the NoDo mess this time around. I guess for the pessimists out there though its better for you guys to think less of AT&T that way if something does go wrong you guys won't be surprised. I guess you can call me an unabashed optimist.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No it's not WM, WM had major marketshare at one point. I think less of AT&T because their data service is ****ty, and they have always been slow with updates, unless it's a iPhone. And if sales "are not what we expected" I don't see them really doing anything any faster, unless MS really pushes them to get things in order. Which haven't been the case so far.
Well this isn't Windows Mobile. Microsoft is taking a completely different approach to this, including with the carriers, anything less than this type of dedication then the platform deserves to fail. Although I also doubt that the specific build that they showed off was the RTM release it doesn't automatically mean that they don't have a later build back in Redmond. The good thing is that OEMs don't take as long as carriers to optimize the build for devices. Leaving the carriers a good 5 months to test away. With NoDo, I believe AT&T took about two months for the surround (last phone to update) for them to finish testing, now I'm judging this amount of time from the finishing point of OEM optimization, which was sometime in march as that's when it was released to unsubsidized devices. I'm not entirely sure if they'll release the update to unsubsidized first again but if they do then that would probably happen sometime in the summer with the subsidized devices getting it in the fall. I'm more than positive they aren't going to go through the NoDo mess this time around. I guess for the pessimists out there though its better for you guys to think less of AT&T that way if something does go wrong you guys won't be surprised. I guess you can call me an unabashed optimist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6