Is anyone else worried that AT&T will release a bunch of new Mango phones before

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't see them really doing anything any faster, unless MS really pushes them to get things in order. Which haven't been the case so far.
That's what I meant, Microsoft NEEDS to push carriers to drive adoption, any less effort than that and the platform will likely fail, and if that happens then it deserves to fail because Microsoft half assed it. Like I said, I highly doubt Microsoft wants another NoDo debacle.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS need to put some cash in their hands. I remember when AT&T allowed people who wasn't due for a upgrade to upgrade, if they were getting the new iPhone. Hopefully we get some of this type love.
That's what I meant, Microsoft NEEDS to push carriers to drive adoption, any less effort than that and the platform will likely fail, and if that happens then it deserves to fail because Microsoft half assed it. Like I said, I highly doubt Microsoft wants another NoDo debacle.
MS need to put train the people selling the phones. I was told that WP7 was just WM skinned. :\ and for some reason, a lot of people have some deep seeded hate for MS.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
MS need to put some cash in their hands. I remember when AT&T allowed people who wasn't due for a upgrade to upgrade, if they were getting the new iPhone. Hopefully we get some of this type love.
I agree, hopefully something like this can happen with the flagship (Nokia) Windows Phones.

MS need to put train the people selling the phones. I was told that WP7 was just WM skinned. :\ and for some reason, a lot of people have some deep seeded hate for MS.
True, who started the Microsoft hate? They're ****in idiots whoever they were. At least Microsoft is putting that training staff out there in the wild to teach carrier sales people about Windows Phone.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
True, who started the Microsoft hate? They're ****in idiots whoever they were. At least Microsoft is putting that training staff out there in the wild to teach carrier sales people about Windows Phone.

Hatred for MS stretches all the way back to the 90s. A lot of people absolutely hate MS and finds ways to tarnish their name at every turn. It's quite sad really. It doesn't matter how good of a product MS puts out, initial reaction is always "It sucks because it's Microsoft." It took a very long time (and Halo) before people started to view the Xbox as a legit gaming platform. However that hasn't stopped people from hating everything MS makes, from Windows 7 to Microsoft Word. And while MS is by no means perfect (no big tech company is), I'm surely not going to turn away from a great product because liking Microsoft products isn't "cool" as jumping on the Google/Apple bandwagon.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Tup be quite honest, I highly doubt that. Someone at Microsoft actually said that its highly likely that the update will be out before the actual devices are. The new devices will still have their own selling point, the updated hardware itself is a selling point enough to get a new customer, while rolling the update out in a timely fashion will please their early adopters.

The update may be out but will ATT release it in a timely fashion?

The security update has been out for months and ATT hasn't released that either. Carriers need to find a way to get updates out faster. I mean surely they can't be worried about losing marketshare because someone who is 5 months into a 2 year contract got an update for his phone.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The update may be out but will ATT release it in a timely fashion?

The security update has been out for months and ATT hasn't released that either. Carriers need to find a way to get updates out faster. I mean surely they can't be worried about losing marketshare because someone who is 5 months into a 2 year contract got an update for his phone.
Let me rephrase what I mean by "update will be out"; all devices no matter the carrier, subsidized or unsubsidized, will be able to download and update their devices. By the time fall rolls around they will have had a good 3-5 months for their testing. However apart from all of this, if they truly don't want to hurt their image in the eyes of the FCC and DOJ for the sake of their acquisition of T-Mobile USA they will roll the update out with Microsoft's schedule. Microsoft probably even voiced their acquisition support in return for a promise of a timely rollout and heavier Windows Phone support, who knows what happens behind the closed doors of such large companies. Regardless, from the looks of it, I honestly feel everything will pan out just fine as Microsoft intended it to. If anyone still chooses to believe otherwise, then just as I said before; pessimists can be pessimists and if something were to go inexplicably wrong, then at least they won't have fallen short of your expectations.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hatred for MS stretches all the way back to the 90s. A lot of people absolutely hate MS and finds ways to tarnish their name at every turn. It's quite sad really. It doesn't matter how good of a product MS puts out, initial reaction is always "It sucks because it's Microsoft." .

Most of the people who complain about Microsoft only had hair on the head in the 90s. Where did all this hate come from? I have been using Windows since v3.0 and definitely have a love/hate relationship with them. But through it all, good and bad, I have always respected them. They are the best software company in the world and most of their products are unmatched. This new phone OS is pretty darn slick and Windows 8 will change everything, again. A vast majority of these haters go to work everyday and use a Microsoft PC. Maybe that's their problem. Get over it already.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
We live in America my friend and what you described is a classic capitalist tactic. America is quite literally the definition of capitalism, however we're in luck, I don't remember who it was, but a suit at Microsoft said (in an interview) that its very likely that the update will be out before [Mango] devices are.

Edit: The reason I don't remember who it was that said that was because most of this stuff I read through the WP7 News app by seles games, and that app has many websites' feeds listed so if i can find it I'll post it.

I think it would be kinda funny...if everyone in America spent all of their money on phones until they were broke, and the carriers go super rich....and then the economy collapsed and then all the money they had from phones was no good because there was no food or water to spend it on.

Suck on the tragedy of the commons carriers!

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be kinda funny...if everyone in America spent all of their money on phones until they were broke, and the carriers go super rich....and then the economy collapsed and then all the money they had from phones was no good because there was no food or water to spend it on.

Suck on the tragedy of the commons carriers!
AT&T is surely attempting to take a step in that direction by monopolizing the GSM spectrum lol

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it really monopolizing GSM if 3 of the big 4 are going LTE with the 4th still considering the move to LTE?

I actually see that being part of the argument for AT&T in the acquisition.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it really monopolizing GSM if 3 of the big 4 are going LTE with the 4th still considering the move to LTE?

I actually see that being part of the argument for AT&T in the acquisition.
Yeah in a sense it still is because even though Verizon is the biggest LTE player here, they're still not everywhere (and not in my city that's for damn sure) and we can't even say they made the switch to GSM because their voice network is still CDMA I don't know what carriers issues are with trying to innovate but if they did they'd all be on GSM probably exclusively using HSPA/HSPA+ for voice and partial data and already have slight entry into the LTE spectrum for heavy data usage.

Edit: which ironically enough, the only carrier that has a network that resembles what I just described, is "big bad" AT&T. Funny how people say they're the ones trying to stop innovation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999