Reserved Space

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I recently got a new computer. Now I've synced my Arrive through three different computers. When I look at the summary it shows 66.12MB of videos, 16.16MB of pictures, and 12.45GB of reserved space and content from other computers. It looks like I can't use that space at all. I only have 1.56GB free.

Does anybody know how this works? Does each computer reserve some amount of space? I don't think I have 12.45GB of music on my phone, although it's possible. Do I need to delete everything I synced with the other computer and re-sync it with my new computer (I have all my music on a MediaSmart server)?

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Same Problem Here

You certainly don't have that much music on your phone, and it's not because it's not possible. It will show you the specific amount of memory used for music, pictures, video, and "Reserved Space and Content From Other Computers (If Any)".

I'm actually having the same problem.

I have had the Quantum for about three months. I have only synced it up to one PC though. I haven't been too concerned with it though until recently when I took about 2GB worth of pictures on vacation, which brought the memory up close to full. It's mostly the principle of the thing that bugs me.

I don't think it has much to do with apps either, because I only have 26 games and 47 other apps on my device. I get rid of the less-useful ones soon after I try them.

There must be a good explanation for this issue, and hopefully a solution.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure exactly what the Reserved space represents, but I have moved my slider, for setting the percentage of reserved space, around (in Zune/Settings/Phone) from 5 to 15% with no change in performance. I am currently at 4%. The three indicators; music, video & pictures are deceiving. I think music represents everything (Zune+your own music), but pictures only represents your Camera roll. Not sure about video, by I think its the same as pictures. I only have a dozen photos in my Camera Roll, but more than 600 photos synced, while my photos allocated space is around 25MB. I only sync with one PC so not sure how the three PCs is affecting this number. But if you synced the same stuff with multiple machines, your phone might be trying to reserve that space as you suspect.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just removed all my pictures, music, and podcasts from my phone. It still has 3.78GB of reserved space. Now, according to shmuck's link, it should clear the next time I sync it to the other computer. I'll update on Monday whether this works.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this same problem. I have 2.25 gigs of music,21 mb of video, 33 mb of pictures, and 5.1 gb of reserved space. I have no free memory left. I think i'm going to just reset the phone because at this point i see no other option.

Edit- So i went ahead and reset the phone but this time only gave it 3% of reserved space. I think this helped out a lot because i have everything on the phone that i had before but now i have 5 gigs free.

Last edited:

shmuck

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the Zune USB drive link

and I see all the stuff I expect to see taking up a total of 2.17 GB of space, but the "drive" shows only 3.21 GB out of 14.0 GB free, so the 9 GB is still missing (or reserved :()
I'm about to wipe my phone too, lucky I guess that's it's so easy to recover everything, just very annoying

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
and I see all the stuff I expect to see taking up a total of 2.17 GB of space, but the "drive" shows only 3.21 GB out of 14.0 GB free, so the 9 GB is still missing (or reserved :()

I'm about to wipe my phone too, lucky I guess that's it's so easy to recover everything, just very annoying
Your apps, and all the data that apps hold, is not included in the USB trick view, but it is part of your reserved space. Wondering if some apps have a problem clearing out old stuff (trash) which causes a buildup. I only sync with a single PC, but after a reset and reloading almost the same media (music, photos & video) and apps, I had almost 2GB of additional available free space. Only using about half of my 14GB sos didn't think much of it then, but when you get close to filling up it could make a difference.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Your apps, and all the data that apps hold, is not included in the USB trick view, but it is part of your reserved space. Wondering if some apps have a problem clearing out old stuff (trash) which causes a buildup. I only sync with a single PC, but after a reset and reloading almost the same media (music, photos & video) and apps, I had almost 2GB of additional available free space. Only using about half of my 14GB sos didn't think much of it then, but when you get close to filling up it could make a difference.

I think this is part of it but also all the temp files you end up generating. FIles such as email attachments, sms attachments...

dwbmb

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think this is part of it but also all the temp files you end up generating. FIles such as email attachments, sms attachments...

It should be, as its written, but its not. Ive removed all accounts but theres still 3GB of reserved space. In completely clear phone.

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
A reset was the only option but before I sync....

Glad this thread is here, and I'm not the only one who is not entirely clear what is using up the storage and how the "Reserved" setting in Zune affects this.

After finding I had around 300Mb of space left on my 8Gb Omnia 7 - 2Gb music, <500Mb photos and videos - around 50 apps and 10 games, yet the reserved space was over 4Gb, I decided the only option was to reset the phone.

I currently have around 25 apps reinstalled and a couple of games. Over 6Gb free (yes!).
I'd like to keep it that way, but before I re-sync with Zune, I could do with some advice on where to set the slider. Should I set it to 0%?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss