Dev unlocked WP7

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I did it with the chevron tool a few months back. Strange thing is, I tried to install TVersity xap, and it wouldn't load, so I figured it had been relocked after NoDo. Guess I did something wrong

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There was a registry tweak that prevented Chevron unlocked phone from relocking but you obviously needed to apply it before updating to NoDo. I know the tweak is included in Advanced Config Tool, but also think there was an XAP for it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I must have done the tweek, because my phone is still unlocked! #WIN
There was a registry tweak that prevented Chevron unlocked phone from relocking but you obviously needed to apply it before updating to NoDo. I know the tweak is included in Advanced Config Tool, but also think there was an XAP for it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What's the advantage of having the phone unlocked?
Basically allows you to sideload unauthorized apps, like a File Explorer or Reg Editor, to fiddle a bit with your phone. These apps are very limited compared to their WinMo counterparts. But with them you can; add custom ringtones, customize your accent color, fix non-working live tiles, and perform a few other tweaks.

An added benefit for me has been testing beta software for developers before they bring a new version to Marketplace.

So not absolutely necessary, but nice to have.

Verizon Hopeful

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Basically allows you to sideload unauthorized apps, like a File Explorer or Reg Editor, to fiddle a bit with your phone.
I really have trouble with the whole "unauthorized" apps crap. If I buy a phone, anything I decide to load on it should be deemed "authorized" by me, since it's my phone. The notion of paying Microsoft an additional $99 for the privilege of unlocking my own phone is sickening. I don't mind paying for developer tools, the infrastructure Microsoft is putting in place for developers to sell their apps, etc., otherwise, I don't like it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Except they sell it to you with a EULA. It you don't like the phone as is, pay more to hack it or just use it as is. I don't see the bug deal.
I really have trouble with the whole "unauthorized" apps crap. If I buy a phone, anything I decide to load on it should be deemed "authorized" by me, since it's my phone. The notion of paying Microsoft an additional $99 for the privilege of unlocking my own phone is sickening. I don't mind paying for developer tools, the infrastructure Microsoft is putting in place for developers to sell their apps, etc., otherwise, I don't like it.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

I must have done the tweek, because my phone is still unlocked! #WIN

Samsung phones have a tool for that. So if you downloaded and used "Samsung Tools", then that is how it stayed unlocked.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
As soon as the Chevron Tool comes out, I'll be purchasing it. I really want to start from scratch, but can't because I don't wanna lose the unlock. Since I installed NoDo (debranded) then the AT&T NoDo, the last OS I can revert back to is NoDo (unbranded) in which I wouldn't be able to wipe my device.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I really have trouble with the whole "unauthorized" apps crap. If I buy a phone, anything I decide to load on it should be deemed "authorized" by me, since it's my phone. The notion of paying Microsoft an additional $99 for the privilege of unlocking my own phone is sickening.
I did neglect to mention that the fee is for the privilege to submit apps to the Marketplace, not for consumers to tinker with their phones. Of course, like cold medications, you can do with it as you please once you have it. Unauthorized apps can contain viruses or malware, and make your device unstable. All things that Microsoft would rather not have plastered on the front page of websites. So in a sense they are protecting you, or at least the millions of noobs who they hope to draw to the platform. For the rest of us the new Chevron utility will suffice, although it will also not be free. Someone has to pay for those authentication servers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Went to the developers site was getting ready to throw down my $99 but decided to download the tools first and discovered that you have to have a W7 or Vista PC to use them... :(

Now what?!

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Went to the developers site was getting ready to throw down my $99 but decided to download the tools first and discovered that you have to have a W7 or Vista PC to use them...

Now what?!

Tell us what you are running? ;p (please don't say 95/xp)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Tell us what you are running? ;p (please don't say 95/xp)

Windows XP 4 year old Laptop my boss bought for himself it came with Vista on it but wasn't compatible with some of the dinosaur devices in our Office. After about a year of fighting with the incompatibilities He spent days on the phone with Dell getting it rolled back to XP so he could use the office printers again. That lasted for about 2 weeks it was so buggy he upgraded to a new laptop and this one sat in a box. Last year we upgraded all the office systems to 7. About that time my PC got stolen so this one was given to me. Its really a nice Dell just a little old it could be upgraded but I don't have the money probably not worth it, its taken me over a year to get it working properly divers and all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99