Best windows phone available on AT&T?

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I want to switch away from iOS to either a windows phone, or a blackberry.

My main dilemma however, is deciding between AT&T's small offerings for windows phones. I can choose between the Samsung Focus, which looks nice, seems to run everything pretty well.

The HTC HD7S, which i like the hardware a lot on, except i have heard that there is a constant hiss during phone calls (confirm or deny?), and that the camera is blurry.

And finally the HTC Surround, which looks like it's quite nice, I'm just not sure how i feel about the sliding speakers.

And yes there is the LG Quantum, but due to a horrible LG experience in the past, I will never own another LG product.

So my question to you all is, which Windows 7 phone would you choose from AT&T's offerings and why?

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Windows Phone 7. Just from my experiences the Quantum is a very solid phone within the Windows Phone 7 family, that being said they all have their merits. I would suggesting playing around with each, if possible, or match their special features to what tailors your needs.

I chose the Quantum first for the slide out keyboard and at the time memory over the Focus (now with certified cards and known working ones it's less of the issue). The Surround was never something I considered since I don't play much media on my phone so it seemed not a good fit for me. I won't speak on the HD7S as I have limited knowledge on it. But like I said, the three that were available at launch are all good in their own rights, just do you homework on what is best for you.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Windows Phone 7. Just from my experiences the Quantum is a very solid phone within the Windows Phone 7 family, that being said they all have their merits. I would suggesting playing around with each, if possible, or match their special features to what tailors your needs.

I chose the Quantum first for the slide out keyboard and at the time memory over the Focus (now with certified cards and known working ones it's less of the issue). The Surround was never something I considered since I don't play much media on my phone so it seemed not a good fit for me. I won't speak on the HD7S as I have limited knowledge on it. But like I said, the three that were available at launch are all good in their own rights, just do you homework on what is best for you.

I was at the AT&T store playing around with all of them today, and I really liked the overall hardware of the HD7S, but all the reviews on it are knocking it down. My second would definitely be the focus from the limited time I spent with it, I really liked the "NOW" hub on it (not sure if thats a W7 feature), and the slim design was nice, although the plastic wasn't especially appealing.

I may wait a little longer to see how I like Mango, and see if any new handsets hit the market.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Focus and it is awesome. Same internal hardware essentially as the HD7S, just a much nicer screen (slightly smaller) and a different body.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Focus without contest. Next would be the HD7S, but 4.3" is too big to me.

Why the focus? Simple:

Soap bar form factor (only Focus & HD7S have this). Don't want sliding keyboard or speakers or anything else.
Best screen on any wp7 (Samsung Super AMOLED)
Samsung NAND internal Memory
4" screen - perfect size. Perfect balance of mobility/pocketability & one-handability while still being really nice size for videos & games.

HD7S has a good screen, but not as good, and I don't care much for 4.3" devices. Too big for using one hand and pocketing comfortably for me. And Samsung uses better camera optics as well.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I read recently that the HD7S hissing was caused by using an old SIM card. Don't know if that's been confirmed by anyone though. Worth looking onto though of you like the phone.

Thoroughly enjoying my Surround but as said by others, you really need to choose based on your on needs. And if you do choose a Focus, try to avoid an r1.4 device (different hardware build) as that version is having an issue with updates.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I read recently that the HD7S hissing was caused by using an old SIM card. Don't know if that's been confirmed by anyone though. Worth looking onto though of you like the phone.

Thoroughly enjoying my Surround but as said by others, you really need to choose based on your on needs. And if you do choose a Focus, try to avoid an r1.4 device (different hardware build) as that version is having an issue with updates.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

How can i tell if its an R1.4 device?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
^ Underneath the battery.

I've bought 3 focus's off ebay and none of them were 1.4 luckily. Just make sure if you buy from store that you check it before leaving. Ask for a replacement if they give you a rev 1.4 phone. If you buy online used like I did, ask the seller to verify with photo.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I seen, Sprint there so we have one phone lol, the focus is killer. Great screen and just smooth. Blackberry? No in the same league had many of them, RIM is falling behind and their 5 year low in stocks show this.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
For me it's the Samsung Focus. This can very well change when the Nokia devices get released, but Samsung is usually the best in the screen game. Super AMOLED Plus is pretty much what they're using now on devices coming out and along Nokia, I can't wait to see what their Mango devices look like.

I have Sprint and AT&T, but it seems as though Sprint likes to release devices with keyboards more often than not, so unless it's without a slide-out keyboard, I may just just pick up the next Focus-like device on AT&T.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
General consensus is it's the Focus. It scored higher on consumer reports. And plus, it's pretty much the only phone I've seen in MS commercials.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You can't go wrong with either the Focus or HD7s.

If quality pictures matter to you, then Focus.

If better manufacture apps matter, then HD7s.

ethylove

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on ATT and have used the bold 9700, torch 9800 and samsung focus. I LOVE the focus. I've had so many hardware problems with the torch. The bold 9700 was my favorite phone until the focus but it's relatively old now. Depends what you are looking for. I like how lightweight the focus is. and the screen of course.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
as a side note, I went to check out the hd7s at the at&t store. Hardware/build quality is good, but what is with the screen? When you scroll up and down the tiles break up and look awful. Not even close to the focus in terms of screen quality...

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
as a side note, I went to check out the hd7s at the at&t store. Hardware/build quality is good, but what is with the screen? When you scroll up and down the tiles break up and look awful. Not even close to the focus in terms of screen quality...

Must've just been that particular piece... The one I tried worked perfectly fine, but the screen was a little dark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster